GFWC MK1 VRS Estate!

gfwc

Trolley Jack underneath? Or drop subframe?

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a big dent in the sump from the looks of it :p

I didn't use a crane in the end, but didn't move the engine except to spin it around on the spot.

• Like 1

Trolley Jack underneath? Or drop subframe?

Dropped the subframe. Not looking forward to swapping the gearboxes and other bits, but looking forward to having 6 speed!! :)

• Like 1

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a big dent in the sump from the looks of it :P

Wouldn't be surprised if the gearbox is broken as when I was carrying it to the car... I dropped it.

• 2 weeks later...

That Shaftesbury one has had a scrape down the passenger side. Foxy got spare FGF doors for you?

The stripped out one has a good front passenger door, and as its an early one the window regulator is bolted in, so the door itself can be swapped and the internals easily switched over too (best swap internals over as ive pulled wiring etc out of this one) :)

ask him nicely and im sure he wont mind too much :D but act quick before he attacks them with an angle grinder to save weight

Stop stealing my potential FGF purchases! :D

Details on the other one? ;)

I've contacted the FGF seller and I'm not going to go ahead. They said I could have it for £450 though, so snap it up! Shaftesbury isn't that far :p

The one in going ahead with is a 1.4mpi with 45k on it in silver, I hate silver haha.

The weird thing is that it says automatic on the V5 and on the HPI but it's a manual ... Confused, but still going to get it.

Edit: I want the FGF one though :( don't know what to do!

if its an Auto its a 1.4 16V 75bhp. have you got any pictures of this Manual/Auto one? surely a picture of the interior will give away if the gear stick is a man/auto

Depends on what you want to do with it. If its for a 1.8T conversion, id go 1.4 16V, (provided its manual), as it has rear discs and other bits which makes it easier to convert to a track beast. but if you want a petrol to potter about in, then 1.4 MPI, as they are cheap, in-destructible (even at 140k miles).

Still reminisce about blasting down some lanes in my 1.4 MPI (it has a characterful engine note after a new timing chain) as if i was Malcolm Wilson :D But was never actually moving that fast.

if its an Auto its a 1.4 16V 75bhp. have you got any pictures of this Manual/Auto one? surely a picture of the interior will give away if the gear stick is a man/auto

Depends on what you want to do with it. If its for a 1.8T conversion, id go 1.4 16V, (provided its manual), as it has rear discs and other bits which makes it easier to convert to a track beast. but if you want a petrol to potter about in, then 1.4 MPI, as they are cheap, in-destructible (even at 140k miles).

Still reminisce about blasting down some lanes in my 1.4 MPI (it has a characterful engine note after a new timing chain) as if i was Malcolm Wilson :D But was never actually moving that fast.

the guy says its 100% a manual, it just says auto on the V5 and on an HPI check, which is odd. yes it has a manual gearstick and a clutch. the documents just say its an automatic.

It is however close to home and only done 45k, with no dents in the doors. But the downside is that its not green! :(

also tbh id be slightly worried about buying a 1.4 16V with 45k miles on it (does he say if its a 16V or not?) they do suffer with carbon build up and getting gummy, short journeys do them no favours at all.

also tbh id be slightly worried about buying a 1.4 16V with 45k miles on it (does he say if its a 16V or not?) they do suffer with carbon build up and getting gummy, short journeys do them no favours at all.

He doesn't know if it's s 16v or not and the pictures are very limited. I think it is though. I want the 8v because the insurance is cheaper.

any pictures of the tacho? or the engine bay?

1.4 16V redline is at 6250rpm, the 8V red line is 5750rpm, 16v has the air filter in the engine cover, 8V has a seperate air box like the 1.9 TDI.

any pictures of the tacho? or the engine bay?

1.4 16V redline is at 6250rpm, the 8V red line is 5750rpm, 16v has the air filter in the engine cover, 8V has a seperate air box like the 1.9 TDI.

No pics of the bay, but its a 16v going by the red line on the tacho :)

• Like 1

The cc on the V5 will tell you.

If it ends in a 0 I believe it's a 16v.

The 8v ends in a 7 (I think) as it has a fractionally larger cubic capacity.

Assuming the Engine is original... Which possibly the gearbox isn't.

Richard is indeed correct.

16V is 1390 cc

8V is 1397cc 

but if the V5 is incorrect, saying its auto, i would be worried about trusting it lol

shall i put my anorak away now?

• Like 1