Clutch Noise - FL vRS

Hi all.

I've got an annoying issue with my clutch making a loud noise when at the biting point. 

It seems the noise happens when on the biting point only and doesn't occur when the clutch is depressed or released. If on a downhill or flat road, the noise is very small or barely existent, but when the clutch is under stress (say on a steep hill), it's very loud.

Difficult to actually describe the noise it's making, but it's like the noise you'd hear if you were shutting the door on a large metal shipping container... if that makes sense?

The car's a FL vRS TSi 2009 with 38k on the clock, so you wouldn't expect any clutch issues, but seems to be the case!

FYI - car is still under a 1yr warranty if anyone think's it could be fixed under that.

Any ideas?

I think I know the sound you refer to.

I have a 06 1.9PD105 and if I'm not just so with the clutch I get a loud booming sort of bang.

I can only attribute this to a design characteristic as the clutch seems to function fine, although I did recently fix a diesel leak from the tandem pump which was fouling the clutch and causing judder at the bite point.

I haven't had a problem since but as I say if I'm lazy footed the clutch bite can be... lorry like!

Perhaps yours has a leaky gearbox seal or as I said it's just a design characteristic that shows up when the clutch has had some miles on it.

Probably nothing to be concerned about unless it's really bad but worth mentioning to a mechanic for peace of mind.

I think I know the sound you refer to.

I have a 06 1.9PD105 and if I'm not just so with the clutch I get a loud booming sort of bang.

I can only attribute this to a design characteristic as the clutch seems to function fine, although I did recently fix a diesel leak from the tandem pump which was fouling the clutch and causing judder at the bite point.

I haven't had a problem since but as I say if I'm lazy footed the clutch bite can be... lorry like!

Perhaps yours has a leaky gearbox seal or as I said it's just a design characteristic that shows up when the clutch has had some miles on it.

Probably nothing to be concerned about unless it's really bad but worth mentioning to a mechanic for peace of mind.

Yeh I was wondering whether it might just be a design issue and the clutch wears pretty quickly. The previous owner didn't do too many miles, so i'm assuming he did a lot of stop/start town driving, which may add to the clutch wearing quickly.

I agree that it's probably not too much of an issue, but I can't be dealing with that noise everyday haha! It's getting diagnosed next week by my local VAG dealer, but thought I'd try get a heads up to give them some ideas. If it does turn out to be a release bearing or something similar, I will probably just get the clutch replaced to save money on the labour cost of doing that in the future

Just had this diagnosed on my 2010 Scout as a clutch release bearing, very common apparently!!! Annoying as h.ll and the warranty for 'so called' Approved Skoda cars doesn't cover any clutch components (or, it would seem, anything else unless it completely fails!? DPF anyone??) This is a shockingly poor service and is not going to win any brand loyalty from me. In comparison my 20 year old TVR has never had any clutch component changed in its 50k miles and there is no sign of a clutch release bearing failure!! Hang you head Skoda (VAG)!!!!

Just a quick update on this...

It is the clutch & bearing that's the issue unfortunately. Luckily I work in the motor trade, so I can get the parts cheap.

Makes me wonder how much the previous owner must have abused the clutch for it to have issues at 38k miles!

Release bearing mine did same noise.

Had same on my 2010 vrs last month. release bearing but replaced all clutch stuff to the sachs stuff rather than cheaper Lukk including dual mass flywheel. Perfect now.

Kit from here then paid someone to fit it. http://autopartstechnik.co.uk/2290-601-030-clutch-kit-zms-module.html

360 for clutch pressure, clutch plate, dual mass and bearing

• Sachs - 290 601 030-clutch-kit-ZMS-module is part I ordered for mine but i have estate with tsi engine there is a web thing that tells you the exact partnumber on zf website that owns Sachs

Just had this diagnosed on my 2010 Scout as a clutch release bearing, very common apparently!!! Annoying as h.ll and the warranty for 'so called' Approved Skoda cars doesn't cover any clutch components (or, it would seem, anything else unless it completely fails!? DPF anyone??) This is a shockingly poor service and is not going to win any brand loyalty from me. In comparison my 20 year old TVR has never had any clutch component changed in its 50k miles and there is no sign of a clutch release bearing failure!! Hang you head Skoda (VAG)!!!!

I thought the clutch bearings were covered by the warranty.....no you are right they are excluded as a wear and tear item.

Edited by Zillio

This seems to be the same issue I have and tbh... have had it for several years, I'd describe it as a 'squeal' or mine is?

Mainly had the issue when reversing up an incline ( not something I have had to do regularly so tended to forget about) , but I have noticed its more recently when trying to put a bit more power down, I have done just notched up 38k today, car is nearly 4 n half years.... 

I had reported it I think on one of my services whilst under warranty however nothing was done  

Judging by everyone else's responses, seems like this is a pretty common issue on the FL vRS then!

I would have left it as I'm told it's not going to fail, however it's incredibly annoying and loud so needs to be done

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update with this..

Got the clutch changed over on Thursday and noise has completely gone, so was definitely the bearing causing the issue. Nice to have a new clutch at 40k, but also annoying that it needed changing at 40k!

• 4 years later...

My Octavia has hit 116k and I’ve had the clutch bearing noise since 50k. So it’s not the end of the clutch if it starts. It depends on your wallet and patience if you want to change it when it starts. 

• 1 year later...

@gm73 I recently started hearing a noise when about to lift my foot off the clutch in first gear, and in reverse. Very slightly in second gear.

Generally this happens when the car is cold, basically disappears after 5-10 minutes of driving and car warms up. Coincidentally the noise started in the last 2 weeks when temperature got down to around 0 degrees celcius. I'm just wondering as you had the noise for over 65k KM at the time you commented, was it typically making the noise when the car was cold? and did you end up doing anything about it?