What Should I Say?

Expatman

^^^ I agree. Can't see what all the fuss is about .

Had my previous 110TDi for three years of short town journeys with an occasional motorway trip of 100 miles or so.

It ran as sweetly the day we parted company as the day I collected it.

Never had any DPF problems.

Did notice the fan running on after switching the engine off, about once every 2 months or so though.

• Like 1

It doesn't to affecting newer VAG cars as much as it does other makes, as there have certainly been reports of severe problems with Peugeots and some Fords. However it certainly isn't advised by VAG.

The answer to the O/P's question is say nothing. If they wanted advice they would ask, they have made a decision so to tell them they have made a mistake is rude, uncalled for and useless.

Is 'short journey DPF death' an actual occurrence or just another urban myth (we get plenty of those in aviation).

Okay, such an existence may not be the healthiest option for a DPF but does it actually, really, with factual evidence result in failure and/or damage to a Yeti or unnecessary expenditure for its owner?

Newcomers reading this thread trying to glean information could form the opinion that a diesel Yeti will automatically explode in a cloud of soot if driven at anything less than 60mph on the open road for at least 50 miles per journey....

Hasn't happened in my own humble experience.

I know two people personally who had severe DPF issues, one despite lots of motorway driving.

Also, if it's a myth, why are some people being asked to sign a disclaimer about them?

^^^ I agree. Can't see what all the fuss is about .

Had my previous 110TDi for three years of short town journeys with an occasional motorway trip of 100 miles or so.

It ran as sweetly the day we parted company as the day I collected it.

Never had any DPF problems.

Same here - our 140 4x4 is 1,5 years old now and done only 12 500 km (thats less than 8000 miles), mostly short town trips and - no PDF problems.

Recently I found out that some people can be really tetchy over opinions on a new car so id just let it slide. Why spoil the experience of a new car for them and tbh, they may not even experience a problem. :)

Friend of mine had new 1.6 diesel Urban Yeti and wasn't impressed with mpg, asked what annual mileage she anticipated, she said 'around 5-8000'!

I checked maxi dot trip computer which showed average mph as 19! 'That's why mpg is low', I explained. Also told her that it would improve as engine loosened up. Despite poor initial comsumption, my petrol 1.2 is now nearly up to 40 mpg as it reaches 10,000 miles.

Gently inquired why she bought diesel, 'it was what was in stock' was the reply. I didn't rubbish her pride & joy but thought some salesmen really take advantage of customers who don't really know the pros and cons of petrol v diesel.

OP. Not sensible to rain on their parade 'cos it's done now!!!

Correction (sorry!) - Urban model was a 2 litre diesel (not 1.6) - also available as a 1.2 petrol.

I also had the Urban Diesel and only did 7k pa. I wanted the 1.2 petrol but like your friend, mine was also "in stock", so being impatient, took it as did not want to wait the quoted 3 month wait.  I recall that no white 1.2 petrols were left to order anyway (limited edition Urban), so had little choice, as only wanted a white one. Maybe your friend was in the same position as me.  I insisted in looking at the salesman's computer to confirm that no (white) petrols were left to order.

Great car and averaged around 45-50mpg.

I don't think it's just the annual mileage that needs to be taken into account, it also depends on how long you intend to keep the car.

We bought a Fabia estate 1.6TDI on the no VAT scheme for my other half who only does around 6,000 miles a year but we will keep this car until it falls to bits, probably over ten years. In this case it makes perfect sense with the lower service costs and an mpg of around 48 - 50 it is a cheap car to buy and run.

If you are going to change every three years or so and do a low ,ileage then it makes no sense to pay the diesel premium.

I know two people personally who had severe DPF issues, one despite lots of motorway driving.

Also, if it's a myth, why are some people being asked to sign a disclaimer about them?

What cars were involved?

What disclaimer?

Recently I found out that some people can be really tetchy over opinions on a new car so id just let it slide. Why spoil the experience of a new car for them and tbh, they may not even experience a problem. :)

Agreed,  just slip "nice Rapid" into the conversation and carry on as usual... :giggle:

• Like 2

We are not really questioning that people have been asked to sign disclaimers when buying or ordering Diesels are we.

Or even if a Yeti Diesel will never ever ever ever have a DPF issue or problem,

then other Cars can have had terrible Average Economy because of Regens and burning Diesel during.

I had it with a 2011 Euro 5 Bipper, that was doing great MPG on runs, and all that was ruined when it was used for short delivery trips around town for a couple of days.

There has been a lot of focus on the DPF but not much on the economics. The neighbour appears to believe that the diesel will be cheaper to run than a petrol.

SE Greenline 1.6TDi 105PS £19,605 OTR. Combined cycle 61.4 mpg. VED £0

SE 1.2TSi 105 PS £18,110 OTR. Combined cycle 46.3 mpg. VED £140

Using assumed fuel prices of £1.35 for diesel and £1.28 for petrol, using 4,000 miles a year and taking all above into account, it will take just over 6 years for the diesel car to pay back the extra cost of purchase. This assumes equivalent running costs in terms of servicing, tyres, insurance etc. Don't forget, you can use the cheaper 502 oil in a gasoline on fixed servicing. ;)

it is only the first year the ved on the greenline is £0 then it is £30 a year

My point was does 'urban' driving kill off DPFs as some claim? I'm sure that DPFs do fail as do all things mechanical from time to time.

Were the ones with 'severe DPF issues' in your knowledge fitted to Yetis?

Perhaps the people asking for disclaimers to be signed also believe the hype? I've never been asked to sign one and in fact never knew that anyone had been asked to sign one until this thread!

No the Dealerships that had Disclaimers Printed were fed up after they were selling Euro 5 Diesels and customers were coming back in complaining.

(In Tayside White Plate Taxi Drivers where buying new repacement cars for using for work and could not sit with engines running for shifts.

They were going for DPF removal, and ones that were not were in and out Dealers complaining,

they were pretending to be private owners.)

& some were having major issues, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot mostly as they were right in there with them.

So they did what was necessary, they kept selling them but made sure that customers had it explained in simple terms.

If the buyer never bought the Diesel then possibly they still bought a petrol.

Or went to another Dealership and learned the hard way.

Killing off the DPF might not be the issue, wasting fuel because your are getting regen, and then more often regens as the miles go on the car was the problem.

Well, I had a chat with my neighbour and mentioned that with modern diesels it was sensible to give them a good run fairly frequently. Turned out that the sales rep had discussed a petrol and how diesels were more suited for higher mileages, however, they wanted a 2.0 diesel because the wife's existing car was a 2.0 diesel (2004) and she liked it thinking a 1.2L car would be underpowered - they were surprised to learn that my Yeti was "only" a 1.2! The salesman has told them that they will have to give the car a good run regularly to clear the DPF - he had obviously explained the reason and need for this which is encouraging. So, all's well that ends well - hopefully!

• Like 3

And herein lies the problem facing the manufacturers today. "We" are fixated on engine size as a proxy for..... well, for something. Power, status, whatever. But engines are getting smaller, retaining or even boosting power, in the chase for CO2 emission reductions. Old-fashioned thinking clashes with contemporary reality, as perfectly demonstrated in this case.

Case in point: Ford's 4-cylinder 1.6 Ti-VCT engine was replaced by their 1.0 3-pot EcoBoost engine. Both 125 PS, both essentially the same torque but the latter around 15% more efficient. Try selling people a 1 litre engine in a family hatch, let alone a Mondeo. So they don't, they sell the benefits of the EcoBoost technology and fail to mention the engine size. Note how few cars these days have engine size on their boot, or even in their model name.

They're all at it.... TSi, BMW's "Baukasten" engines, Volvo's new VEA range, even F1 engines! And I saw recently that Audi are planning a 420 bhp version of the 2.0 TSi....! That's more than V8s and V12s of 20 years ago.

• Like 1

I take back my comment about avoiding the dealer    :x ( I'll get my coat :S   )

Based on above comments he was a decent salesman who took the time to discuss the customers needs & not just sell them the car they 'WANT' , so based on that they at least go away with all the facts about recommended driving of the car.

Also if they are going to keep this 10 years like the previous car then there is no issue around resale /  depreciation etc.

WRT to the comments around DPF death It seems to wholely depend on on the manufacturer & the car you get, as it is like lottery.

• Like 1

What does it have to stand up in a court about., what kind of case?

No DPF ever causes a Customer or car buyer to complain do they?

No problems for any Diesel Drivers are there?

So like a Verbal Assurance, not worth the paper they are written on.

Nice to be able to show the Customer that says,

'Nobody told me about or explained Diesel Particulate Filters on Euro 5 Emission cars.!'

"I was on this Skoda Forum and a bloke with a Yeti said there never have or ever will be issues driving just in town."

It's no myth - at least not as far as my sister-in-law is concerned. Her 520d needed 3 replacement DPFs in three years. But then she only basically used it for the school run and a bit of shopping… I'm still amazed the lease company paid out. As soon as the lease expired, they got a petrol S Max. 

• Like 1

I only do 7000 miles or so a year. But I avoid short journeys by cycling or walking or buying things on line etc

Should we not factor in the type of driving into this debate

And in any case i wanted a 4 wheel dsg Yeti..... And they are are available in the UK only as an oil burner....so no matter what the salesman said, that is what I wanted. In my case dpf was mentioned by me ..... No disclaimer needed ....

• Like 1

To my knowledge it's not a myth.

The mazda 6 had issues with unburnt diesel getting into the sump if the regeneration was cut short. If you allow that to go on for a period of time the outcome isn't pretty.

Nissan had issues with the early euro 5 qashqai's.

The ambulance service have/had a huge amount of issues with the octavia scout (and i assume) v50 and ford estates and DPF's.

Sitting about idling whilst running all that electrical gear does them no good at all.

I, personally, have never had an issue with a VAG diesel but my change in driving means my next vehicle will be a petrol.

Where my sister-in-law lives all the VAG dealers sell diesel cars to the residents despite the maximum speed limit being 40mph, and that for only a few very short stretches of roads.  All other roads are 30 or 20.

The Skoda dealer sold her an ex-demo Rapid 1.6TDi despite her average annual mileage being less than 3,000 and most of her journeys being under 3 miles.  The longest is 7 miles.

She lives on Jersey.  She has owned the car for almost a year, covered less than 2,700 miles and, so far, no DPF problems.

My suggestion that with most of her journeys being in slow moving traffic a 1.2 petrol with DSG would suit her needs far better was just met with, "But a manual diesel has much better mpg"!!!