Tyres

Anzio

A lot of you have had your Yeti long enough to have worn out the original set of tyres. When you replaced them did you stick with the same make or something else? Mine are 225/50 R17 with Dunlop SP from new.

I quite like them  (SP 01's) ...seem to last 18k+ miles on fronts, probably 35k+ miles on rears (not there yet).

Quiet and comfortable ride (probably no good on snow but what summer tyre is?).

Of the major brands about as cheap as you get if you look around (I paid £138 per tyre fitted, but easy to find at £150). Not a popular tyre size so that probably accounts for the premium price you pay.

Can source tyres in the £80-£120 range but not sure on the quality (some Chinese manufacture maybe).

Edited by kibby

I have just replaced all four of my Dunlop SP01 tyres after 30,000 miles and pretty even wear.  I found this to be better than I expected.  I thought about buying one of the cheaper brands, but I have found them noisy in the past, so I went for the Dunlops again at £600 fitted.  Frightening when I see the cost in writing!

Mine wore out just as winter approached so I went for the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons (see t'other thread(s) on winter tyres). I plan on using these year-round rather than swapping from 'summer' to 'winter' tyres.

• Like 1

My car came on Michelin X Ice (Nordic compound) studless winter tyres, and while they seem fine on dry roads, there was a bit of understeer in yesterday's slush. I'd put that down to the fact that they're not that fresh, maybe only 4.5-5mm of tread. The summer tyres are Goodyear Efficient Grip: seem to be a bit of a eco tyre with low rolling resistance. Are these well liked or merely tolerated? I usually put a premium on steering feel and braking. 

29,000 on the original Dunlop SP, now moved over to Goodyear Vector 4Seasons.

Very pleased so far (just 5 days) with the new tyres, but the Dunlops were a bit on the smooth side.

Various european motoring organisations carry out comparison tests every year, so you can get a controlled, objective view of what's good and what isn't on the current market.

There's always a handy summary of them all on the tyre reviews site, here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Tests/#summer

Hi,

The Dunlop SP Sport 01s as originally factory fitted to our 2010 Yeti 110 are close to wearing out (35,000 miles), so have been looking around for some replacements.

Have the offer of some 225/50 R17 94V TL ContiEcoContact 5s for a good price, so am wondering whether to swap. Been told they are a previous generation winter tyre - but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?

The Dunlops are/were 94W but the Contis are 94V - any specific difference there?

Just looking for a good all round, comfortable, capable tyre - I know Kuhmos are good, but are the Contis better?

Any help/insights, much appreciated - thanks!

Have the offer of some 225/50 R17 94V TL ContiEcoContact 5s for a good price, so am wondering whether to swap. Been told they are a previous generation winter tyre

ContiEcoContacts aren't winter tyres, they are normal/summer tyres...

Muddy boots,

"Please note the Uniroyal tyre mentioned is in fact a previous generation winter tyre" - this a direct quote from Uniroyal HQ.

Anyway, are these tyres OK? What about comfort/noise?

Also is there a big difference in the 94W vs 94V rating? Just a question of max speed?

Well the ContiEcoContact isn't a Uniroyal tyre, it's a Continental tyre - think you're getting mixed up ?

It's part of the same Continental group - so says the guy who actually works there - so it is not me getting mixed up....

Last call - whatever the branding - how do these ContiEcoContact tyres rate?

I quite like them  (SP 01's) ...seem to last 18k+ miles on fronts, probably 35k+ miles on rears (not there yet).

Just curious: when your fronts wear out you are meant to put the new tyres on the back. In theory. So if you put the old rears onto the front I wonder how you calculate what the real rear wear rate is?

Has anyone got a picture of their Yeti shod with Goodyear Vector 4Seasons?

I don't run a Yeti, but an Octavia Scout which has identical size wheels and tyres.

I too have been happy with the Dunlop SP01's, so much so my second set are just coming to the end of their life.

Due to low annual mileage the 4Seasons appeal.

However, here is the weird bit :giggle:

I really like the appearance of the Dunlops. Now don't laugh! The way in which the sidewalls bulge out contributes to the Yeti/Scout's rugged looks. I've seen lots of used Scouts with what I assume are incorrectly sized tyres or simply different design tyres that just don't look / sit right.

This is why I'd like to see how the Goodyears look :blush:

Edited by silver1011

Thanks Wakev!

The tread pattern looks quite 'aggressive', I'm guessing that's what makes them all-seasons.

I know I'm fighting a losing battle here, but this is a picture of a Scout on the wrong tyres. The profile is too low, and as a result to me it looks 'under-tyred' if that makes sense!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401211202666/sort/default/usedcars/model/octavia/keywords/Scout/make/skoda/radius/1500/postcode/yo325zs/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew?logcode=p

The 225/50 R17 tyre is IMHO totally wrong for vehicles such as the Scout and Yeti but it's a VAG parts bin item, particularly for the Audi TT  :S  so Skoda presumably have little option but to use it.

Myself I'm glad to be back on the universal 205/55 R16's with our Octy III 4x4; good balance between ride, handling and grip with lots of tyre choice.

TP

I've been quite impressed with the ride and handling offered by the 225/50 R17's on our Scout.

Even compared with the 17's on my Superb, 16" winters again on the Superb and 18's on my old Octavia vRS.

Oh and I'm quite vain, as far as tyres go the chunky profile suits the Yeti and Scout down to the ground :giggle:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Eco-Contact-5.htm

Just puzzled why you think it's a winter tyre, when it most definitely isn't !

Sigh....once again, I am simply quoting what the guy at the company told me. I have no great interest or knowledge of tyres. If it is not a winter tyre, as you say, then it is him that has his wires crossed. From this tyre review, the Contis seem OK - it was just in the vague hope that someone in this Skoda community might have some helpful, real world insight to take it all a bit further.....as that doesn't seem to be possible, let's just leave it here. End.

I've posted you a link to test reviews of the tyre you're interested in (which shows it's position in two different european tyre tests, where you can read all the objective test data).

I've highlighted the fact someone has given you misinformation, in case you were about to spend a lot of money on tyres that may not be what you wanted.

What more help do you want ?

• Like 1