Quadcoper and Drone Video recording

Anyone here done it. Specifically, anyone used a DJI with the H3-D2 gimbal and GoPro (with FPV)

Might be a bit too specific, but anyone done any videoing with a flying jobbie of any nature. I have flown quadcopters before and own a little Hubbsan X4 :) (I bought it to relieve boredom on long jobs while stuck in big fields. It didn't quite work out as once my colleagues get a hold of it I never see it again till the battery is flat :(

Never used one. But really want to.

Although on this subject id like to show you one of the best videos of my home town ive ever watched. Also states equipment used in the description

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bOJDLnBjU

I've seen that vid recently when I was looking for more info (it does look great, although not quite as stable as some). The reason I like the look of the DJI is the huge battery and a lot of the hardware is preconfigured. The Discovery is a bit more kit form. But it does look great value for money and the chap flying it looks to be sitting in his BMW with a monitor, flying it mostly by FPV :)

• Like 1

Also states equipment used in the description

I feel a buying spree coming on - BUT I can't see where he mentions the equipment that's being used!

Maybe that's a good thing though as I can't imagine it being cheap...... :whew:

I feel a buying spree coming on -

I'm mulling whether I can mix a bit of a hobby (photographing Jetskis/skiers/Flyboarders) with perhaps a bit of on the side work. Eg a fly-past of a route at an OB. For instance at a sheepdog trial, in theory you could fly the route at altitude and the graphics can be laid on top in post prod. It's only an idea, but if it could generate a little work for me, I could stick it on my company books :) Mind you sinking it in a lake might take some explaining to the inland revenue :D especially as I reckon I'll have to budget for around £1,200 min 

• Administrators

I've been toying with it for a couple of different things. Was persuaded off 2 years ago by legality. Since resolved by not charging for certain aspects. So you charge for editing, not flying ;) Still need liability etc.

If I have a good summer, I maybe looking too. Or write it off as one of those ideas I should've just gotten on with. 

I've been toying with it for a couple of different things. Was persuaded off 2 years ago by legality. Since resolved by not charging for certain aspects. So you charge for editing, not flying ;) Still need liability etc.

If I have a good summer, I maybe looking too. Or write it off as one of those ideas I should've just gotten on with. 

A good friend and college is a professional TV Broadcast VT editor. 30 years experience and has done hundreds, if not thousands of shows that have been on telly. I really need him on board if I want to take it further. My only plan is to take a drone to certain OBs and let it be known I have one. Liability should be fine as I use my Union for mine and I do know of one chap who did something similar with them (albeit on a bigger scale). It's only a bit of fun thinking at the moment though as I don't seem to have the time to get this 'off the ground' at the moment. I think I know the spec I want, could do with checking out the FPV Tx/Rx systems though.

I don't want to be a party pooper but please make sure that you do your research before venturing into commercial aerial photography. I have been flying planes and quadcopters with cameras atteched, purely for personal enjohment, for about 8 years and I have seen a hardening in the restrictions and regulations. The recent availability of ready to fly quads and the rise of social media has caused some people to post videos online that show a blatent disregard for safety such as flying over people and in crowded areas. A number of these videos have come to the attention of the authorities who have imposed severe restrictions on the use umaned aeial vechicles (I hate the word "drone').

In France all camera carring radio controlled planes and 'copters are currently banned. This, I believe, was caused by a long range FPV flight and a youtube video taken in the centre of Nancy. In the USA various states are banning UAVs dvdn for recreational puposes. It did not help when a 'professional' quad failed in flight and ended up in a grandstand full of people! Currently in the UK the BMFA and thd CAA have taken a more pragmatic approach but this may harden if a high profile accident occurs.

Sorry for the long post. I do not want to discourage anybody from learning a new hobby (large and heavy quads need a lot of practice to fly well) but please do research especially the CAA & BMFA websites, make sure that your insurance covers you, fly safely and most of all enjoy yourself.

Richard

Amanda

Read what Richard has written above and take special note of it.

You will very likely be required to get a licence plus your own personal Public Liability policy. I very much doubt that your Union policy will cover you.

Network Rail have also been clamping down on their use. I understand it is actually illegal for them to be used over railway lines.

I think there is a weight limit on model aircraft. I think its 10 Kg. If you fly anything over that you used to need to apply to the CAA for a variation of an air traffic order

CAA guide to flying model aircraft:-

.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caa.co.uk%2Fdocs%2F33%2FCAP658%25204%2520Edition%2520Amend%25201%2520June%25202013.pdf&ei=Qf8rU-KzAsiqhQfO1oDQCQ&usg=AFQjCNHGPvoOY3iefgvUBxopHz_UB9C2kQ&sig2=f4CS5_rFOtkMuk2WkW-GBg

Ideally, don't do anything near major power lines, aerial arrays or airport approach paths. And make sure no other model flyer in the vicinity is using the same frequency as you Then you minimise the chance of you interfereing with "Them" and Vicky verky.

Insurance. You used to be able to get £2 million of cover for £10 - most of the policies today seem to offer £10 million as the starting point.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Extra Note

CAA - CAP 658 (Above)  is for recreational flying - Chapters 5.2, 9, 14 being relevant

So, it would appear now, that flying any unmanned aerial vehicle over 7 Kg, even for recreational purposes, within the boundaries of an Air Traffic Control Zone/Controlled airspace, requires permission of the air traffic authority. And if and when you get permission you're restricted to 400 max altitude.

By way of example, the London ATC/TMA used to be 30 mile square box over London, extending from the North Downs in Kent/Surrey to the Chilterns north of the Thames and from just short of Tilbury in the east to in between Maidenhead/Reading in the West.

Most air traffic control zones have a "Floor" which is anything from 500 feet to 1500 above ground level. Can you fly UAVs in this ground-level to floor area ? I think you used to be able to. Not sure now.  Worth enquiring with CAA/NATS/Local flying club/ enquiry on Pprune.org. Also bear in mind, that this apparent "Free uncontrolled air space" between ground level and the "Floor" of an ATZ may contain helicopter and light aircraft  protected "corridors"

And you want a professional verification of any radio kit that you use both for electrical interference/transmission conflict purposes (The RadioCommunications Agency and CAA will be able to advise).

Again, if you're near an airport/aerodrome, them each has its own aerodrome control zone which extends down to ground level.

Remember even tougher restrictions apply if your're in or near a Military air Traffic Control zone (MATZ).

And the other thing to watch out for is small private aerodromes and helipads, especially if your're located out in the wilds.

And then there may be areas on the ground which have overflying restrictions due to issues of national security, areas of natural beauty/national parks and areas of special scientific interest.

And then the rich and the famous might be disposed to take private action for invasion of privacy.

CAP 722 - applies to use of larger unmanned aerial vehicles for business use:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=415-

Its extremely unlikely that with common sense use your're going to get in the way of any of this, but safe to be sure, especially if you're contemplating a commercial operation 'cause, I would imagine, that its one of these areas where risk and liability is out of proportion to the "Wrong" done.

I'm sure the last thing anyone wants is to inadvertently bring down a manned aircraft.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to be a party pooper but please make sure that you do your research before venturing into commercial aerial photography. I have been flying planes and quadcopters with cameras atteched, purely for personal enjohment, for about 8 years and I have seen a hardening in the restrictions and regulations. The recent availability of ready to fly quads and the rise of social media has caused some people to post videos online that show a blatent disregard for safety such as flying over people and in crowded areas. A number of these videos have come to the attention of the authorities who have imposed severe restrictions on the use umaned aeial vechicles (I hate the word "drone').

In France all camera carring radio controlled planes and 'copters are currently banned. This, I believe, was caused by a long range FPV flight and a youtube video taken in the centre of Nancy. In the USA various states are banning UAVs dvdn for recreational puposes. It did not help when a 'professional' quad failed in flight and ended up in a grandstand full of people! Currently in the UK the BMFA and thd CAA have taken a more pragmatic approach but this may harden if a high profile accident occurs.

Sorry for the long post. I do not want to discourage anybody from learning a new hobby (large and heavy quads need a lot of practice to fly well) but please do research especially the CAA & BMFA websites, make sure that your insurance covers you, fly safely and most of all enjoy yourself.

Richard

I've been working away for a while and spent a couple of nights in a hotel room looking into the legal bit. Getting the light Drone/quadcopter licence for commercial use will cost over £1,000 by the time all the course have been done and hopefully passed. There is quite a bit of help about this on't 'tinterweb. I wont have time to even look into this seriously until the Autumn anyway, so I think I'll do a bit more research and if I get one, learn how to fly it and shoot video from it first. BMFA membership looks a good idea too :) I still enjoy whizzing my little Hubsan x4 about and still marvel at how a battery the size of a postage stamp can keep something in the air for so long and let if fly at some surprising speeds too :)

Currently I'm looking at the DJI Phantom II, Zenmuse H3-2D (although I gather there is a new 3 axis gimbal version out now?) the ubiquitous GoPro 3+ Black edition. Also the Immersion 5.8 MHz looks to be a good link. Trouble is the extra hardware then seems to cut safe flytime to around 15 minutes, so the option of an extra battery, Tiger motors and uprated propellers raise their expensive heads :(

I always had a fascination with kites (I've owned dozens -Sleds. box, Chinese, Rockets, Diamonds, stunt etc) and still have several :). I've no ambition to get a pilots license, but I do like being able to fly something. Perhaps I just need to get the plastic bags, wooden dowels and glue out of the garage :D My mum keeps wanting me to get more feminine hobbies :D Chasing George Clooney doesn't count she claims :( Still, I might be able to pick up some guy in a wet suit if I hang out in the right places  :)

That looks to be a Phantom with a Go Pro (judging by the fisheye effect) and no doubt the Zenmuse gimbal too. Can't quite make out the Tx on the top, but the pilot must have been using FPV I guess One of my big worries is I want to use it over water and the margin for error is very closely related to expensive repair bills