Hi from Cambridgeshire

MarkG1989

Hi,

Thought it rude to come on here and post for the first time and not introduce myself.

Joined up this afternoon as I am looking for some information on upgrading the headunit to an aftermarket one in the Octavia estate we have been given by a relative.

The car itself is nothing overly special, a completely standard Octavia estate 1.9, 02 plate with around 176,000 miles on the clock! It's the 2nd car we desperately needed, so there was no way we could turn it down. 

Only picture I have at the moment:

1505132_10151924987703598_1696347566_n.j

My other half has been driving the car, I have not yet had the chance to as I am not on her insurance yet, however hopefully that will all change soon so we can both drive it as and when we need to.

My daily drive is a little different to the Skoda, its a Vauxhall Astra 1.8 SRi with full factory fitted XP kit. This is now my 2nd Astra I have owned since 2008, I'd always said after owning my old SXi that I wanted the estate with the full fitted XP kit, so I just happened to go out and buy one. The only thing I regret now is not getting a diesel as my daily commute is costing so much in the Astra, hence why I am hoping to be put on the Skoda insurance pretty soon! 

Few pics of my Astra:

D066EB1C-B77C-4A53-A0D0-A1F382D86C76.jpg

16629_10152040239743598_253665353_n.jpg

994955_10151730423243598_1714885520_n.jp

I have tried to keep it as standard as possible seeing as there isn't a huge amount of these on the road, and partly for the fact I don't have the money to spend on this car like I did the old one.

Main changes I have made from "factory" is, window tints, vinyl wrapped grill and wind deflectors, as well as an Alpine headunit, and sub/amp install. 

Nice cars. I have an octavia mk2 but previous to that had a mk4 astra estate and the difference in the two cars is shocking. The skoda is so much better to drive and so much more comfortable.

Hope you enjoy yours.

Thanks for all the welcomes :D

Nice cars. I have an octavia mk2 but previous to that had a mk4 astra estate and the difference in the two cars is shocking. The skoda is so much better to drive and so much more comfortable.

Hope you enjoy yours.

I've yet to drive the Octavia, but as a passenger have to admit the ride is alot smoother than the Astra. Although the other half tells me she prefers to drive the Astra is it is "quicker" (her words not mine lol)

Vellcome more pics of the octy rather than the rasta

In time :D I only have 2 pictures of it, and both are from the same angle! Will get out and give it a wash at the weekend :)

Sorry, bg244?

It's been well looked after, oil change religiously every 10,000 miles without fail. We are the 3rd owners of the car, its just clocked up 176,000 miles.

What kind of mileage do these tend to go to until major things start going wrong like the clutch or gearbox etc? 

Sorry, bg244?

It's been well looked after, oil change religiously every 10,000 miles without fail. We are the 3rd owners of the car, its just clocked up 176,000 miles.

What kind of mileage do these tend to go to until major things start going wrong like the clutch or gearbox etc? 

Engine probably another 100-200k id think easily! As long as its maintained it should last a long time.

Blimey, good to hear these things last. 

Cambelt is due again soon, was wondering if it was worth doing if the engine didn't have much life left in it, but if it could do another 100,000 then I suppose £300 roughly is worth spending compared to having to get a new car if the belt on this one went. 

Car was signed over to us last night, insurance put in place which means I can now drive the Octavia myself.

Took it to work today and left the Astra at home for the other half. First impressions ... MPG ... wow - double what I would usually get from the Astra! Not a bad car to drive, nice and easy. 

Finally got round to getting all of the bits I need to change the headunit, hopefully will get this done towards the end of the week. 

Couple of pictures after parking up at the station:

ACCD7FCE-9675-4BD3-B5C4-4FBAD7A363C8.jpg

BEA8B60D-7AA4-4187-9E59-82132AD96B6C.jpg

FD2BDFD2-93EF-4D3E-9A9A-E7F9C0D94E01.jpg