VW key upgrade done.

Superskoda is way too expensive and a dark chrome rather than normal chrome. I reckon it'd look a bit odd since it's not chrome in the octavia.

Vw part number is 5G0 837 599 A

And you'll need a t6 torx bit.

Myself and Neil got ours of eBay (I think) but the part can be ordered from a VW dealer. Think it should be about £9-10.

Easy to do. Split the key as if going to change the battery (flip the key out, put a coin in the gap and twist) then unscrew the tiny torx screw and slide the key end to one side and it'll come out. Reverse to replace.

Guys on the seat forum have had this sussed for ages! Seems only some vw's and Audis get these bits with the GTI & GTD golfs getting special GTI/GTD chrome bits. I want a vRS one!!

• Like 2

Just off the phone with the Western VW at Fort Kinnaird in Edinburgh £10 each for the part.

Quoted the part number and there was no issue.

They'll phone me as soon as the part comes in.

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 2

Big thanks to Nelly03 and Mike999vRS for bringing this up and sharing the info.

Ordered parts yesterday lunchtime, collected today at lunch.  As stated it's a 2 minute job, although I do wish I'd read the instructions on sliding the old part off as it took a minute to realise.

£19.96 for two direct from the dealer.

Nice classy upgrade.

• Like 2

Shame they didnt just put the metal tags on but that's cost saving for you. Nice to know if the plastic ones ever break that they've been designed to be replaced without having to effectively refurb the entire key. Good design.