Autoexpress video Golf R v Seat Leon Cupra

vrskeith

Even my GT estate the steering is sooooo vague in Normal I have it set to sport...........infact I am now setting the throttle to sport so I can make use of the engine properly when I want to overtake someone....without having to flipping well play with stupid bells & whistles............. :wall:

All this does is add a fixed step voltage to the throttle position sensor output, giving the impression if being faster. In reality it's not, it's just more sensitive. I find it hilarious when car journos refer to sport settings as if they change the ECU mapping and engine response. They don't on any of the VAG hatches.

Changing the DSG to 'S'  on the likes of a 1.4 TSI & others fitted with a DQ200 DSG does change the Gearbox and you have a 7 Speed in 'D' 

& 6 Speeds in 'S'.

That certainly changes the RPM at which the gears change under different throttle & does very much affect the engine response.

'Dynamic Shift Programme'.

http://motorsportmagazine.com/road-cars/opinions/are-car-journalists-bought

Edited by goneoffSKi

It doesn't give the engine more power though George. All S mode does for me is alter the shift points, increase the engine idle speed so faster get aways, and increases max up shift to the red line.

I know it does not give the engine more power.

But it can get the Power / Torque where you need it at the RPM where it is.

If it is a Twincharger & other Engines, you might not want the higher RPM, you want maybe 2,200 -4,000 rpm & max torque. Maybe 1,500 to 5,000 rpm is where torque is and maximum power is higher than that, 6,000 rpm or so.

It is always going to be Fuel & Air & Spark or Heat that is needed to make more power, and pressing the Accelerator gives you that,

then there is Sensors & ECU's sorting it all out these days.

& then some that go and get that Remapped.

So same Engine, Same Hardwear, Different Software, Same Fuel & Air, all working differently, result, More Power all done by Wizardry.

Then you have the likes of the Eco-Boost Engines & MINI Engines with 'Overboost', where limit periods (bursts) on Max Power can be available.

We know Turbos can have lag and bigger turbos more lag.

But that is teaching granny to suck eggs.

Edited by goneoffSKi

All this does is add a fixed step voltage to the throttle position sensor output, giving the impression if being faster. In reality it's not, it's just more sensitive. I find it hilarious when car journos refer to sport settings as if they change the ECU mapping and engine response. They don't on any of the VAG hatches.

I know this, basically instead of having to mash the pedal down to get full response you only have to put it half way.............in old terms it's like taking a lose tired throttle cable & comparing it to a nice oiled & tight throttle cable...........just better response as I like it................if the engine can deliver then why not leave it this way if you like it?.........that's my view as I have the response of the engine as I when I need it.................

I know this, basically instead of having to mash the pedal down to get full response you only have to put it half way.............in old terms it's like taking a lose tired throttle cable & comparing it to a nice oiled & tight throttle cable...........just better response as I like it................if the engine can deliver then why not leave it this way if you like it?.........that's my view as I have the response of the engine as I when I need it.................

Absolutely, if only it didn't come with artificially enhanced noise

Absolutely, if only it didn't come with artificially enhanced noise

VCDS to turn of the sound actuator....................... :sun:

(but thankfully don't have on my lowly GT)

• 1 month later...

Don't know why he can't enter postcodes in the Sat-Nav, it has the capability to accept them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its just my stupidity,

but all that rubbish in the long term test about getting a child seat into the back seat of a 3 Door Seat

& how much better an estate will be is confusing me.

When a 5 door Lean Cupra 280 was available all along.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Someone mentioned a 'practical' small estate? Unless VW drop the R-setup into the Golf estate this could be quite tempting....

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115051393764/skoda-fabia-r5-combi-concept-unveiled-at-wrthersee

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/05/skoda-fabia-r5-rally-car-gets-combi.html

It would be nice to just get a Warm or Hot All New Fabia Hatch or Estate, maybe at less than £22,000

But If you check out the Crazy RRP's of the New Fabia Monte Carlo Hatch & Estate, and you only get the DSG with the Hatch.

Sport Suspension an extra as are many other things then its unlikely a Warm or Hot one will be much less to buy than a Seat Cupra ST or Golf Estate.

Then there is Skodas idea of Sporty, & Sporty Interiors.

http://skoda.co.uk/models/fabia-hatch-monte-carlo-2015/default

http://carwow.co.uk/blog/2015-skoda-fabia-monte-carlo-edition-preview

PS.

VW have Dropped the R set up into the Golf Estate & called it the Golf R Estate.

• 2 weeks later...