Blower not working

For some reason our heater blower has stopped working , fuses seem ok and the scale goes up on the Columbus display but it's not working

I have vagcom so will check codes tomorrow but anything else I can check or is it likely to be new motor time

Likely to be new motor time - they appear to be prone to it, mine died 3 days after I bought the car, and there are quite a few reports of it happening.

They are a complete unit comprising the motor, impeller and base.

It's only about a 20 minute job to replace, but the bad news is that try as I might I couldn't find anywhere that sold a cheaper version, and the original is approx. £250 + VAT (from memory, I can't find the receipt atm - I do remember that the whole job came to £388, but there were a couple of other little niggles fixed at the same time) 

Yep sadly it appears to have been a common issue on the mk1 as well .

I don't suppose you kept the receipt with the part number on ? I've seen motors listed on eBay for anywhere from £40-£230

Mine was replaced before I bought my 2009 car last September, they fitted a second hand Passat fan as it's the same part.

Apparently it's fairly quick job, just awkward due to being up behind glovebox.

Euro Car Parts list one for my Superb at £100, but I don't have dual temperature control fitted.

I don't think this would change the fan design though.

Factory fit on mine is a Valeo, so is the Euro supplied one, and the picture (fwiw) looks the same.

They also show a bare motor/impeller for £20 less, and the motor is fairly easily removed/replaced from it's case/carrier with a bit of care, so that could be an option.

I've removed and checked mine only to investigate a slight whistle from the heater when cold.

The brushes don't look replaceable. And the pressed-on impellor would have to come off first anyway, which would likely bend or break it.

HTH.

Edited by CombatWombat
  • Like 1

Vcds has confirmed its mechanical , also says my intermittent Columbus issue is down to a short on the antenna so maybe ill book it in depending on the part price

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm there are two heater motors , one for the basic air con and one for climate control , the latter has a rectancular cut out for the climate module to sit in , they seem to be pretty expensive items with the basic one about £60-80

Part number for the climate control one is f995428e and is indeed fitted across the VAG range

skoda number is 1K2820015G http://www.skodaparts.com/product/octavia-heater-fan-with-resistor-climatronic-2004-2013-50415

so need a new one if any traders see this

Edited by Richf

Ok part number advice for any who are interested or subsequently search for this thread

09 plate Superb Elegance with climatronic and not sunroof old part number of unit removed was 1k28200015f , replacement part number is 1K2820015G , retails at £343.98 inc vat :sweat:

Yep it's a doddle took about 15 mins to remove the old one

Don't suppose you could do a short write-up whilst it's fresh in your mind? If it turns out to be a common problem, Briskodians would love you forever!

• 9 months later...

Yep work in process I've been taking pics

Hi Rich, I was just wondering whether you had any tips for getting the blower motor out? I want to get mine out to investigate an annoying squeak!

I've got the glovebox out fairly easily and exposed the motor housing, but think I'm being a bit thick as can't see an obvious way of dropping the motor out of the housing. It seems you sussed it back last year so if you have any pointers I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance

Kevin

Sent a PM but worthwhile updating here

Once you remove the retaining screw you rotate the fan assembly I think anticlockwise I think there is an arrow on the motor .

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 02/01/2018 at 14:10, Sanmart said:

I recently have had the same problem with a Skoda Superb Estate 170 Elegance (Heater not blowing air on any setting) I managed to rectify this fault very quickly after doing a bit of internet googling.

If your fault is the same as mine,  you will need to remove insulation cover under glove box two plastic lugs unscrew and remove the cover. 

Shine a torch up onto the fan unit and you will see an arrow showing which way to tighten fan unit, grip unit and turn opposite way to the arrow, fan unit will drop out.

It seems that water can enter the fan unit casing (following severe heavy rain) and as there are no drain holes it causes a bit of corrosion to the motor bearing. I sprayed Wd40 into the motor and worked well in by rotating fan numerous times. Refitted and Hey Presto it now is working fine! Only tools used WD40 and torch.

Same problem for me - 2012 Superb Estate Elegance Petrol 4x4. Thanks to these posts I had the motor out, freed up with some WD40 and back here writing this post 10 mins later. Mine was just a bit stiff (too little use during Corona lockdown) and freed easily. I didn’t even remove the plug so was able to ascertain it worked ok before re-installing. A word of caution, make sure the fan assembly is properly seated when fitting it back in. Mine was slightly ‘cross threaded’  the first time I put it in and didn’t work (presumably the fan itself has very little clearance so was jamming).

Keep up the good work everyone - this is a great resource!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Silly question, there aren't any further retaining nuts or anything... cant see an arrow at all but seems to be solid... blowers stopped earlier today but like everyone else no fuse issues everything lights up and comes on as it should.. thanks in advance if anyone picks this up 

Anti clockwise from under iirc.

And if you look under the scuttle on the passenger side you should see a threaded screw hole ( believed to be for a l/h drive cars wipers), this is where water can enter and drop down onto the blower motor. I squirted some silicon into mine...problem solved.

On 03/01/2018 at 01:10, Sanmart said:

I recently have had the same problem with a Skoda Superb Estate 170 Elegance (Heater not blowing air on any setting) I managed to rectify this fault very quickly after doing a bit of internet googling.

If your fault is the same as mine,  you will need to remove insulation cover under glove box two plastic lugs unscrew and remove the cover. 

Shine a torch up onto the fan unit and you will see an arrow showing which way to tighten fan unit, grip unit and turn opposite way to the arrow, fan unit will drop out.

It seems that water can enter the fan unit casing (following severe heavy rain) and as there are no drain holes it causes a bit of corrosion to the motor bearing. I sprayed Wd40 into the motor and worked well in by rotating fan numerous times. Refitted and Hey Presto it now is working fine! Only tools used WD40 and torch.

I bloody love 💕 you. 
I didn’t even need WD40. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

So is there a how to on this subject am attempting this on the mother in laws tomorrow. Fans speeds all lighting up on the dash but nothing working blower wise. 2012 superb with Columbus controls.