Do u pick where to park in a car park?

Chan110

I always try and park on the end of a row

I read a report years ago that cars parked at end of rows get "major" damage most coz 

when other cars swing round they more likely to hit cars on end of rows! :-(

I read a report years ago that cars parked at end of rows get "major" damage most coz

when other cars swing round they more likely to hit cars on end of rows! :-(

Yep, I'd never park in an end space for this reason unless there was something more than a painted line at the end.

Mother and baby spaces, even. If little one isn't with me. Car seat and sign always in the car so doesn't worry me too much and the spaces are wider :)

But people with kids and prams use them, it's a recipe for disaster. Granted it's a good thing they put these spaces in to keep these people away from everyone else and stop our cars getting damaged.

But people with kids and prams use them, it's a recipe for disaster. Granted it's a good thing they put these spaces in to keep these people away from everyone else and stop our cars getting damaged.

Simply put it - if supermarkets were actually concern about their customers (and not the money) - then all parking spaces will be wide and big!

Think a Carlsberg advert is due ..."probably the best car park in the world"...

I don't have this problem .I legally park in a wider space with that thing a lot of dyslexic mothers can't recognize- a wheelchair symbol. Possibly it's something in the tea at our local maternity unit, or the strain of birth has caused retinal dysfunction, but a lot of new mothers can't distinguish between a wheelchair symbol and a push-chair symbol.

Edit, before I get flamed, I've ( unlike a lot of dyslexic mothers and a lot of so called disabled drivers) had to pass an assessment on my need to a badge.

I'm a new parent and if there are no parent and child spaces I park in a disabled place in supermarkets and our local multi storey car park (the multi storey has no parent and child places so it's always disabled places I use). I am fully aware of the issues disabled people have, out of my 8 immediate family members, 6 are blue badge holders, 2 are wheelchair bound and 2 have to use walking aids. I still use the disabled places because if two reasons. 1 in a normal parking place it is physically impossible to get the baby in and out if the car because of not being able to open the door and I refuse to leave my baby and pram unattended in the road way while I pull my car out to put her in the car while in the dangers of the road way. And 2 because disabled drivers often park in parent and child places, I know I do when there's no disabled places and I have my mother with me who is wheelchair bound. If and other member of the public expressed to me that they had a problem with this, they would be politely told where to take their opinion.

Yeah, parking in disabled bays is a big no no for me no matter what. Child bays I have no issue with them but put them away from the entrance, theres no need for them to be near the front providing there is a safe path to use to the store. In reality though, a few extra cm width for every space would be better. 

• Like 4

Yeah, parking in disabled bays is a big no no for me no matter what. Child bays I have no issue with them but put them away from the entrance, theres no need for them to be near the front providing there is a safe path to use to the store. In reality though, a few extra cm width for every space would be better.

I agree that they shouldnt be near the entrance, if they were away from each other then perhaps there wouldn't be the exchange between them ie disabled using child and parents using disabled.

I can understand the opinion on disabled bays and being a carer for disabled family members myself you see it from both sides but when it is physically impossible to do anything else what can you do?

I think it's just as big of a no no for parents to park in parent and child bays who either A don't have a child with them or B the child is past being a toddler, if they are out of a child seat and just need boosters then there's no need to be in the parent and child bays.

Disgusting attitude. Having a child is not a disability, it's a choice and if you struggle to get in and of your car that's tough.

Don't talk rubbish.

• Like 1

Bottom line is there should be less spaces so they can be wider.

Mother baby spaces are great as there is a foot either side and no danger if any cretin hitting my car.

I think I've spotted a huge gap in the market here...

Sell cars with no drive train/engine, just an interior and shell. Then they would be cheaper and you could just push it out the garage to polish it and vac out the inside before wheeling it back in again. You could sit in at and bask in the condition of your interior and never ever have to risk it in a super market car park!

• Like 3

Sell cars with no drive train/engine, just an interior and shell. Then they would be cheaper and you could just push it out the garage to polish it and vac out the inside before wheeling it back in again. You could sit in at and bask in the condition of your interior and never ever have to risk it in a super market car park!

If you could make them waterproof on the inside so you just had to swill the dust away I'll take three.

• Like 1

Brilliant.

And you've already got a ready made market:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/8-styling-and-car-care/

People seemed to manage in the past without parent and child places so why the big deal now? Maybe the spaces are a bit tight but somehow mothers coped without bursting into tears. Perhaps a large 4x4 is the problem not the kids or parking space ? 

I also try and park at the end of the row or where there are fewer vehicles. More often than not though someone always comes and parks next to me.The good lady has a theory that those who can't park also seek out the "quiet spots".Could be.

I will only park on an end space and I park in such a way as to have my car (mk 1 fabia vrs) furthest away from the other car. Right close to the curb after letting all my passengers out if needed.

Usually I park in parent child spaces if I can though. These kids do have their uses haha.

Also I only use parent and child spaces if they are actually in the car.

Per hate of mine is seeing people using them who don't have children with them. You wouldn't use a disabled space if you are not disabled so why use a parent and child space of you don't have children with you?

It's ignorant tbh.

People seemed to manage in the past without parent and child places so why the big deal now? Maybe the spaces are a bit tight but somehow mothers coped without bursting into tears. Perhaps a large 4x4 is the problem not the kids or parking space ?

I also try and park at the end of the row or where there are fewer vehicles. More often than not though someone always comes and parks next to me.The good lady has a theory that those who can't park also seek out the "quiet spots".Could be.

They did get by without parent and child spaces but 30 years ago there was no child seats, no rear seat belts either, instead you put your newborn in a Moses basket and then put then in the footwell. Also we use a focus hatchback with our child and still not enough room to get the baby seat in and out of the car in a standard space so it's not 4x4s to blame either, just parking spaces that are too small.

Short answer is yes, I do, even with my two cheap sheds. If I knock them about that's up to me, but I've bought and paid for them so that is my prerogative.

Longer answer is cars are bigger then they were even 10 years ago, an acquaintance of my family has always bought a Vauxhall Corsa because she knows it'll fit in her garage, however the latest generation only just fits. Unfortunately most supermarkets use parking bays based on 1970s car sizes.

They did get by without parent and child spaces but 30 years ago there was no child seats, no rear seat belts either, instead you put your newborn in a Moses basket and then put then in the footwell.

To quote you above: Don't talk rubbish.

I was belting my kids into Britax car seats almost 40 years ago.

Your posts are simply self-justifying a selfish attitude, and posting about disabled members of your family and therefore your appreciation of their problems merely serves to show your hypocrisy. 

If any other member of the public expressed to me that they had a problem with this, they would be politely told where to take their opinion.

I should like to repeat politely my assertion that you are a selfish hypocrite. 

• Like 1

Two of my favourite solutions recently for tackling this. Go to a 24h shop at 2am and park like you just ain't care.

Or walk/cycle, that's healthy too apparently.

• Like 1

We'll us the child spaces if we have the child with us.

Otherwise I'll try to park away from the front door of the shop where you have the crazy people that'll do just about anything to get one space closer.

I'll usually avoid parking next to anything that has a reputation for being driven by the old or those of large families. I'll avoid anything with a child seat not in a child space.

And generally anything that looks tatty and uncared for.

i.e. I'd rather park next to a pristine looking older golf than a manky 5 series.

At the PnR where I park every day I park uphill on the slope (sh^t that's me fined £1M quid now) since some old biddy rolled back into me before.

There are a few people that seem to usually park next to each other i.e A bloke in a clean Accord often parks next to me. I know he tries not to knock his door on mine and vice versa so I'm usually quite happy to see him on one side of the car.

Edited by Aspman

We don't use the mother and baby spaces, in fact we park as far away from the door as possible.

Why? Because we are able bodied, aren't lazy and don't want to get fat. The 30 extra seconds walk does us good.

This is how I view it aswell. It serves two purposes. Keeps my car and my body in good condition :)

I also only ever park in the free 2 hour parking bays just outside the city centre aswell. These save me a couple of quid 2-3 times a week, and are about 1/2 mile walk into the main shopping centre. Perfect for walking off a Latte that was paid for by parking for free :)

• Like 1