Do u pick where to park in a car park?

Chan110

I think I've spotted a huge gap in the market here...

Sell cars with no drive train/engine, just an interior and shell. Then they would be cheaper and you could just push it out the garage to polish it and vac out the inside before wheeling it back in again. You could sit in at and bask in the condition of your interior and never ever have to risk it in a super market car park!

It's called a bicycle.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I always try and park in between cars, but it's not so precious I'd even think of taking up two bays or parking miles away, it is after all just a car. My pet hate are van drivers nipping into tesco and parking in the parent and toddler bays or disabled bays. This at a time when it's busy and legitimate users waiting for spaces.

Just when van drivers do it?

I think he's saying van drivers because it's so blatantly obvious that they don't have any children in there. Unless they're in the back of course. Any other car could be a parent and toddler type, but not a van.

Simply put it - if supermarkets were actually concern about their customers (and not the money) - then all parking spaces will be wide and big!

Think a Carlsberg advert is due ..."probably the best car park in the world"...

And then people would complain that there were not enough spaces, so they'd need bigger car parks which would push up the price of goods due to higher overheads and people would complain about having to walk too far... You'd also have the NIMBY brigade complaining about the big bad supermarket tarmacking over everything. Investors/share holders need them to maximize the profit per sqm else they will sell the shares and the price goes down, the supermarket then struggles to fund new development including your new massive car parks with room for the same number of cars as the smaller car park they used to have before buying 2/3/4 streets around the current store and knocking the houses down adding to the housing shortages... vicious circle. You could always send the wife :P

Well I thought that but I see vans with kids and baby seats in all the time.

How many builders / white vans have kiddie seats in them?? Anyone who parks there without kids is irritating, just it's blatantly obvious they don't.

How many builders / white vans have kiddie seats in them?? Anyone who parks there without kids is irritating, just it's blatantly obvious they don't.

Loads, that's what I'm saying lol. I often wait in the car while the mrs goes shopping and see a suprising amound of kids in vans. Maybe it's just a phenomenon restricted to here

Loads, that's what I'm saying lol. I often wait in the car while the mrs goes shopping and see a suprising amound of kids in vans. Maybe it's just a phenomenon restricted to here

I wouldn't say it's a majority, but it's certainly not impossible to find tradesman's vans with child seats in them. It's probably more common with sole traders or 2 man bands than with jobbing builders or carpenters (inc double glazing) firms that have 10 or more employees.

I have been parking in rows that have the least number of cars in them and look for the clean / looked after ones  & have been lucky with my Octy as i have managed to escape the car park dinks in the doors in over 3 years.

The mother & baby + disheveled bays are a complete waste of time as the wrong people park in them most of the time along with parking on the double yellow lines right outside the front doors, allocated parking bays are a complete waste of time along with the supposed 1 way system that they have.

So many people ignore these that it would be easier to have a free for all parking system, specially as the face offs & arguments in these areas would make for great reality TV.

This thread is ace starts off as a question of psychology and ends up as a rant about disabled bays parent and child spaces and white van men Classic.

I park away from the entrance as most people who can't drive seem to want to be as close to the entrance as possible. They seem to only be able to walk 5 meters without eating a sausage roll or needing a Motab. Scooter so for me parking near child or disabled spaces is a no no.

My octy isn't a minter or kept clean all the time and I've got 3 kids. However I'd prefer not to have my day ruined by an inconsiderate Pratt denting or scratching my car. Just my opinion lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cant account for the knuckle dragging idiots where I live no matter how much strategy goes into your parking.

Example the other day we parked In Tesco the wife asked where I would like the car putting (she knows im OCD) and I said anywhere, it

was a Sunday and there were very few cars in the massive car park. So we parked well away from the main entrance surrounded by nothing

but empty spaces. Low and behold returned to the car only to find some idiot in a banger had parked behind us with his rear bumper pressing against our bumper. So not only did this idiot choose not to use one of the thousands of empty spaces that were not occupied he had even taken the time to reverse into the space behind us but then use my car as a marker for the length of the space. He even had the gall to just leave it like it with both bumpers compressed. Why? I gave him a piece of my mind when he got back. The damage was very little but I was not best pleased. He couldn't have been less bothered and even dared to suggest he hadn't touch my car and it was possibly me who hit him.

Must be! I wouldn't have thought many self employed tradesmen go shopping for sandwiches crisps and coke on a Tuesday lunchtime with their kiddies! Which is usually when mums with riddles do.

Sorry for the hijack! Back to the OP.... :)

I never even bother looking near the entrance as I found you spend more time looking for a space there than walking from the other end, also seem to get people chucking cars in without looking first. Seen so many near misses because a little car has parked right in the bay.

Don't understand why people can't park with brains, they'd go mental if they came back and couldn't get in so why do it to others?

It would help if there was new regulation so spaces were now designed for modern larger cars and the planners enforced this-what happens now is that to get planning to build the shopping centre or supermarket their architects have to provide enough spaces to appease the planners, so they make them a minimum size to maximise the retail space they are allowed have on the site.

It would be forward thinking to now set a car parking space to be the width of an average of popular family sized cars* plus half its door length each side to the line (so a full door length to the next car parked in the middle of the space), plus a few inches longer in length to allow for errors in parking.  That would accommodate most cars as 4x4s or larger cars could still get in the space but have less door opening space.

Alternatively use the same space sizes as now but put a foot wide hatched border around the whole space, similar to baby and disabled spaces.

If the larger size was set a minimum requirement in planning, the problem would be resolved over time.  It's the same with the ridiculously pointless garage size requirements on new homes.

Bear in mind cars usually grow each time they get updated, so a Mk1 Golf is dwarfed by a new Polo; an update is long overdue now.

*Qashqai, Zafira, Insignia etc

• Like 1