Debadge and rebadge

I gave the vRS a quick wash today and finally got around to debadging it. The reason for the debadge is I prefer the clean look.

It should also have had a black vinyl roof now but the couldn't do it because of the curtain airbags.

Anyway here are the pics.

harety8u.jpg

huhyvytu.jpg

yjavyda3.jpg

Also put my briskoda sticker in.

u6arepaq.jpg

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I debaged many cars and heat the badges with a digital heat gun at max 100°C

If yo don't have a heat gun a hairdryer is best alternative.

I put some tape close around the badge as you lift the badge on one side it could damage the paint.

A credit cards is helpfull to cut the double sided tape even a nylon fishingwire can help sometimes.

The back of the car was in the sun and I just carefully pinged them off with a screwdriver, protecting the paint with a cloth. Although I never really get near the paint with the blade. Adhesive came off really easily and I just cleaned it up with a bit of Autoglym SRP.

Looks good in white! Not sure about the disappearance of the badging though.

Confess that I actually prefer the old style Skoda badge with the green in it and a slightly more detailed look as opposed to the current simpler "logo" style for the stork/crane or whatever the bird is. Even more so since a neighbour said the other day he liked my new Vauxhall! The shame of it :sweat:

... And if you were wondering what happened to the badge, my little lad wanted it [emoji2]

ezy3yvup.jpg

• Like 3

... And if you were wondering what happened to the badge, my little lad wanted it [emoji2]

ezy3yvup.jpg

Oh no, he'll get tailgated by another scooter with a mk1 fabia vRS badge on it :D
  • Like 1

Looks like mine, although I did keep the VRS badge on. Just a little hint to the people in the know... ;)

PS: Watch out, your kid might start doing burnouts, launch controls, excessive speed and swerve through traffic. :p

Edited by TudorM

I've never really understood debadging, and always laughed at people taking 1.6 & 2.0 etc off the back of bmws's and audi's, so was interested in this. Your vrs looks good debadged and its made me think - what actually is the point of badges on cars ?

As above. I never really understood debadging either but this looks good. I do think the VRS badge should stay to add just a little colour though. Then again, if your lad is like mine, there's no way I'd get the badge back if I changed my mind.  He must have the coolest scooter for miles...

• Like 1

I de-badged mine for the following simple reasons :

1) letters always snag on cloths and sponges

2) they are a pain to clean 

3) much prefer the clean look and the letters don't add to the aesthetics.

4) don't really see the point of having the make and model of the car spelled out for all to see personally, thought I accept others may disagree on this point

Here is a simple way to de-badge-

My thoughts behind the debadge is mainly for the clean look, I much prefer it like this.  I did consider leaving the vRS badge on but it looked a little unbalanced (in my opinion).

Secondly, if you need to read vRS on the back of it to know what it is you are not going to be impressed with it anyway.

+1 for he 'clean look'. However, for me, if i had a lower spec car, that actually told everyone i didnt want / couldnt spend much money on my car, that'd be straight off. (i.e. my mondeo, a 3rd from top spec, but with added 18" wheels, spoiler and tinted wheels from the top spec car. Removed the 'titanium' bit so it looked a bit more expensive than it was) yeah, it was like lieing to myself and to other people who dont care, but, it made me like it more.

Like others, I'd have probably left the VRS on, so people/ neighbours thought 'he's got a VRS', rather than 'he's got a skoda'

Great stuff.  I was just thinking at the weekend - are the badges stuck on or drilled and clipped?  Mine will be off soon. To be fair, the badging isn't as bad at most Jap cars.

+1 for he 'clean look'. However, for me, if i had a lower spec car, that actually told everyone i didnt want / couldnt spend much money on my car, that'd be straight off. (i.e. my mondeo, a 3rd from top spec, but with added 18" wheels, spoiler and tinted wheels from the top spec car. Removed the 'titanium' bit so it looked a bit more expensive than it was) yeah, it was like lieing to myself and to other people who dont care, but, it made me like it more.

Like others, I'd have probably left the VRS on, so people/ neighbours thought 'he's got a VRS', rather than 'he's got a skoda'

I'm not one for de-badging - but I am inclined to do the opposite to you. I have "under-badged" cars before, to make them look less of a car than they really are, but I don't think I'd get away with it in the vRS as there's too many obvious signs elsewhere - even if they are cosmetic (TDI twin exhausts!).

I'm not one for de-badging - but I am inclined to do the opposite to you. I have "under-badged" cars before, to make them look less of a car than they really are, but I don't think I'd get away with it in the vRS as there's too many obvious signs elsewhere - even if they are cosmetic (TDI twin exhausts!).

I suppose it depends what your into. If you have a fast car, and you want it fast for you, and bugger everyone else, and its less likely some teabag i gonna nick, for example, a 1.2 octy S, than a VRS, then I suppose 'under-badging' it could be alright. Personally, as I wish I had better, I just try to convince myself it is better by removing wording that, to me atleast, says 'cheap' (or 'cheaper, at least).

I would never be one to put a VRS badge on a non-VRS though, thats just plain old lying :D

I like aesthetics of the de badged look, would also keep the vRS badge though.

For creating a sleeper it can work well on more discreet high performance cars, I've seen a few RS4 and M5s around here with badges removed and it's surprising how much they blend in to normal traffic unless you know what you're looking at.

I'm not sure the vRS is subtle enough or fast enough to pull it off though, it just looks better.

Under badging takes this one step further, adding a 520d badge or 318i to a monster V8 is a bit sneaky and I've heard some insurers can be funny about it having non standard badging.

The people who add performance badges to their base spec barges just look daft. Used to see plenty about with the Renault 'sport' badge you can get in halfords stuck to the back of some corsa or fiesta, usually at a squint angle.

The worst offenders are the /M badges though. BMW only put /M badges on the boot and grille of M-Powered cars (M3, M5 etc) , so seeing a base spec 3 series where someone has stuck an /M on the boot is just a bit needy. Even if it has got the M-pack, witch is little more than a trim level, it's nowhere near an M3.

Skoda actually dont put engine designation badging on the regular Octavia's any more which I quite like.

My cars far from a hot rod but being very ordinary looking with low kerb weight and a pretty effective 150hp diesel motor make it a bit of a sleeper. Its certainly surprised a thing or two over the past couple of months.

As far as I know the only way to tell its a TDi 150 is by the rev counter and the fact it has a 6 gear gearbox gate

• Like 1

BMW only put /M badges on the boot and grille of M-Powered cars (M3, M5 etc)

BMW go through phases of putting them on non M-powered cars - when I got my 120d M Sport 18 months ago, there were no M badges to be seen (thankfully).  Order a 1 series M Sport today, however, and as standard you'll get M badges on the boot and on the sides.  Totally agree though, having them on non M-Powered cars is a bit daft.  You don't see Mercedes putting AMG badges all over the AMG Sport variants of their cars.

BMW go through phases of putting them on non M-powered cars - when I got my 120d M Sport 18 months ago, there were no M badges to be seen (thankfully). Order a 1 series M Sport today, however, and as standard you'll get M badges on the boot and on the sides. Totally agree though, having them on non M-Powered cars is a bit daft. You don't see Mercedes putting AMG badges all over the AMG Sport variants of their cars.

M135I is a bit different though as thats an M Performance vehicle....in fact I think that car would be wierd without any obvious M car badging. Agree though, bit much on a 116 or 118d but then M Sport spec is nice and way less boring than ES or SE spec....even Sport spec is pushing the boundaries of being a bit beige.