Battery drain

Motard2

My Yeti was a cancelled order and when we first met it was in the dealer's showroom - and the battery was flat as someone had left the lights on.

I have always suspected the battery may have been flat for some time and has always been sluggish starting the car particularly in winter. Dealer tested the battery (several times) and each time advised that it is "within parameters".

I note that the dealer has each of the cars in its showroom connected up to battery conditioners these days - so I think my suspicions were correct.

Once a lead acid battery has been allowed to go flat for any length of time, it never regains its full capacity.

When I eventually change it (probably fairly soon) I'll buy a Bosch one with a 4 or 5 year guarantee as experience with previous cars is that they honour their guarantee without quibble.

It might be worth taking out then putting back the relays in the fuse boxes, it sounds like a relay is sticking open, it happened to my brothers Skoda Fabia, no one could find the fault so we just tried removing/replacing them one at a time & it has been fine since, we think it was the power steering relay that was the problem one.

When I eventually change it (probably fairly soon) I'll buy a Bosch one with a 4 or 5 year guarantee as experience with previous cars is that they honour their guarantee without quibble.

Shop around online when you do. Plenty of online battery suppliers offering next-day delivery, often a *lot* cheaper than the likes of Halfords.

As an example, I bought a Bosch S5 Type 110 for the Focus a few months ago.

Had a choice of:

- ECP: £88 delivered next day

or...

- Halfords: £149 for the equivalent Yuasa, plus I'd have to go and collect it....(and they weigh a ton!)

I had problems with my battery on my Yeti.

It did not hold its charge very well. In the cold freezing weather on 2 occasions it failed to start. I did leave my Blackview cameras on and in park mode. The car was only left for 36 hours. It was fine in the warmer weather.

Skoda Assist came out the first time, and they said that the batteries fitted to Skoda's were not of very god quality, it was one of the areas that they cut costs.

My Freelander as far as I can tell, is still on the original battery and it is almost 8 years old and is much better than my Yeti one ever was.

Get a good quality battery.

• 10 months later...

I have had this problem myself on my Yeti 2.0 diesel auto as the car is not used every day it was a lottery as to the car starting.

This happened a few times which fired up as soon as Green Flag jump  started it.

The engineer suggested we did not use the car enough to keep the battery maintained to full charge and purchase a solar trickle charger.

The result from the charger solved the problem I purchase it from Amazon not the cheapest option but worth every penny.

Model number  Visua Solar Powered Battery Charger. Ideal for Cars, Caravans and Boats (7 Watt

Even on the coldest mornings starts first try. I just leave it on the back parcel shelf and it charges in sun or cloud.

Hope this helps

Best wishes Skoda owners

Terry Hillier

lb096xd.jpg
  ADVANCED 096 XD PLUS Car Battery
Length (mm) 278 Width 175 Height 190 Weight (Kg) 20 CCA / SAE 780 Capacity (Ah) 77 Terminal Layout t0.jpg Guarantee Period 5 Years
£65allinc.jpg   (!Car Reg Number >>   qmark.jpg   pixel.gif

Got one of these 3 years ago for my van. First class no probs. The price quoted was incl' del'.

http://www.carbatteries-online.co.uk/carbattery096.html

Thinking of getting a battery solar maintainer but I have spotted one reviewer (Halfords site - I think) who says fitting one disabled his remote central locking.

Are these ok on a Yeti.

• 1 year later...