Fault - Steering Wheel cannot be unblocked anymore

Hi there...

This Sunday, my O3 didn't start anymore. For some reason the steering wheel, couldn't be unblocked anymore.

The car was immediately towed to the dealer and Monday morning, the problem was still there(lucky me, as I was thinking that it will repair overnight).

They started to diagnose it, and guess what.. no errors .. They have stored the data of this diagnose, closed/open the car using the remote key for several times, and suddenly the steering wheel was unblocked. They did another diagnose and compared the data which was different but again no errors.

All this data has been sent to Skoda , and this morning they told me will have to replace something called " Steering Wheel blocking computer". 

They don't really know when this component will be available, and it may take 1 week or more so an exchange car will be supplied today or tomorrow.

Did any of you get into such messy thing, so far?

Edited by Bogdan81

Bit of a nightmare situation - leaving you stranded.  To get a car so new, towed is a bad advertisement for Skoda.

I hope this isn't going to be a problem on my car as I have also specced the KESSY feature.

Good luck with the dealer.  Let us know what the problem was when you get it sorted.

From the manual: (interesting bit about closing the driver door then the steering will unlock)

The steering lock (steering lock) deters attempted theft of your vehicle.

Locking
› Stop the vehicle.
› Switch off the engine or the ignition by pressing the starter button » Fig. 116.
› Open the driver door.

The steering is locked automatically.
If the driver's door is opened and the ignition is switched off afterwards, the
steering is only locked after the vehicle is locked.

Unlocking
› Open the driver's door and get into the vehicle.
› Close the driver's door.

The steering is unlocked within 2 seconds.

If the system does not unlock the steering at the first time (for example when the
front wheels are in contact with an obstacle), then two more unlocking attempts
are performed automatically.

Yes, it's kind of a nightmare. Luckily it suddenly happened in Bucharest and not in the middle of nowhere ...

Well, as I have mentioned, accordingly to the dealer, the problem is a component  called " Steering Wheel blocking controller", at least this is what they decided, together with Skoda. (although there was no error spotted for it in VCDS)

So, once they get the component, will replace the old one and get my car back....The bad news is that such a component is not something that will be available in 1,2 days, but at least 1 week..so an exchange car will be provided(at least this is what they informed me).

Bad luck :(

I also have the KESSY and I love it.

I covered 7500 km in total with mine and it works fine.

No problems with the steering wheel unlock.

Bodgan, last week I discovered I can lock my car with my @ss (wearing jeans) :D You can also try it :D

@pgclosie only I saw you added the manual part....yes I read all those. Looking at the recording from the first post, it tries to unblock but does not succeed, then asks to move the steering wheel, but still nothing happens, except the mechanical blocking of the steering wheel.

There was obviously a failure when it tried to unblock the steering wheel. Also, there is a discrete noise when the steering wheel gets blocked/unblocked (in the electric way), this time, when it was trying to unblock the sound was slightly different ..

Keep my fingers crossed, that it will be solved quickly...

@aki78...yes that's kind of funny, it's enough just to touch it (no matter with) and it will close.

Edited by Bogdan81

• 2 weeks later...

I got my car back 2 days ago, the controller I mentioned in the previous posts has been replaced. The car is fine now, hopefully it will not brake again in the nearest future so that I have to tow it   :).

PS: It took 10 days to get it back. A bit too much I'd say. Skoda needs to speed up things when it comes about spare parts for O3.

Edited by Bogdan81
  • Like 1

You wouldn't have to wait much more than that for a whole car!

You would if it is a Skoda !!!

Edited by kalpat