Does anyone have their Columbus/MFD reading texts aloud ?

If so can you post details of your settings, Columbus firmware version and Bluetooth module name ?

I can get mine visually displayed but, not read aloud.

I am trying to combine ALL the Columbus questions/posts into one FAQ

Chris

I do but its not a standard setup as I use a FIS link box to make the newer module talk to the older maxidot, and its a pre FL Octy not a Superb.

Nevertheless if it helps: Columbus firmware 4020 and 3C8035730D BT module.

Funny enough I can't get mine to display in the maxidot (it does display on the Columbus) - this appears to be a problem related to the way the older maxidot in my car scrolls text.

Adam

If so can you post details of your settings, Columbus firmware version and Bluetooth module name ?

Columbus is on firmware 5218 and Bluetooth module is 3C8035730D.  No problems with SMS being read out - apart from the shock value when triggering it accidentally :-)

m.

OK - I am getting somewhere - I can get the texts read aloud by pressing buttons on the Columbus but, not by pressing anything on the MFD - is that possible ?

Chris

Came across this thread whilst researching the same problem. Finally got it working this morning so thought I'd share how I did it.

My VW CC has rns 510 and 3c8035730d bt. To get 'read out' on mfd I needed to activate voice commands on the bluetooth module as well as voice commands on the rns. Voice commands is activated in 77 telephone, the second option from the left using vcds. I then switched off and locked the car for half an hour then went back and checked SMS in the mfd. 'Read out' is now available and working.

Although this works on a VW, I can't see why it wouldn't work on a Skoda with the same bt module.

Hope this helps.

It does work on the Skoda and same bluetooth module. The option is there on my maxidot. I have to choose to have the text read out, it doesn`t do it automatically when an SMS comes in.

I just wish there was an audible warning when the text comes in as well as the visual warning on the Columbus and then the maxidot

"To get 'read out' on mfd I needed to activate voice commands on the bluetooth module as well as voice commands on the rns. Voice commands is activated in 77 telephone, the second option from the left using vcds. I then switched off and locked the car for half an hour then went back and checked SMS in the mfd. 'Read out' is now available and working.
Although this works on a VW, I can't see why it wouldn't work on a Skoda with the same bt module."

So I need to speak to a VCDS owner nicely ?

Chris

"To get 'read out' on mfd I needed to activate voice commands on the bluetooth module as well as voice commands on the rns. Voice commands is activated in 77 telephone, the second option from the left using vcds. I then switched off and locked the car for half an hour then went back and checked SMS in the mfd. 'Read out' is now available and working.

Although this works on a VW, I can't see why it wouldn't work on a Skoda with the same bt module."

So I need to speak to a VCDS owner nicely ?

Chris

Yes, that should fix it. Leaving the car locked for a period of time after coding is important as well.

Checked today and My car reads them out from the Columbus, I'll have a check tomorrow if I can also do it from the MFD (sure I've had it read them from there before). I was quite impressed when the system said "Laughs out loud" instead of LOL.

Interesting thread - will need to look into this; but i think my BT module might need an update.... plate VCDS coding...

Out of interest - "Flamazine":  What old style Nokia did you opt for? I was thinking of doing the same. Thx.

Interesting thread - will need to look into this; but i think my BT module might need an update.... plate VCDS coding...

Out of interest - "Flamazine": What old style Nokia did you opt for? I was thinking of doing the same. Thx.

sorry just read this. It was a 6230i and was £20 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-NEW-CONDTION-NOKIA-6230I-BLACK-UNLOCKED-CLASSIC-BLUETOOTH-CAMERA-PHONE-/330845109422?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item4d07e7bcae Edited by flamazine
  • Like 1