self parking

tmg

Pot calling kettle black.

Almost hilarious, not though because I suspect it was not said in jest.

Ah yes , the electric kettle theory, nobody knows how to light a fire now because we have electric kettles.

The self park is great for showing people what it can do especially when people think "its just a Skoda", can be useful sometimes even if a little slow.

BTW do not drive into a space if you come to visit me, you will FAIL LOL

Have the self park on my '59 plate. Used it a few times, mostly to show off to my mates. However, when I bought the car I was really impressed that the alloys were in A1 conditon - helped by the parallel park feature, no doubt.

A word of warning, if you do use parallel park and the cars you park between are half on the kerb, then you will be too !!! Bit of a bugger when they had driven up the flat bits and the Skoda tries to mount a 6 inch kerb.......only did that the once !!!!

Have the self park on my '59 plate. Used it a few times, mostly to show off to my mates. However, when I bought the car I was really impressed that the alloys were in A1 conditon - helped by the parallel park feature, no doubt.

A word of warning, if you do use parallel park and the cars you park between are half on the kerb, then you will be too !!! Bit of a bugger when they had driven up the flat bits and the Skoda tries to mount a 6 inch kerb.......only did that the once !!!!

That's interesting, thanks for letting is know! Could do a lot of damage to alloys there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pot calling kettle black.

Almost hilarious, not though because I suspect it was not said in jest.

& you can make this statement making an assumption on something written not actually knowing me or my sense of humour is extremely presumptuous.

The parallel park feature is fitted to mine, it works fine, and I thought I would never use it - and in the main, I don't. However if there's a lot of traffic about, and you're trying to get into a tight gap then (a) the fact that the display says the gap is big enough, and (B) once you trust it, it is very quick and accurate, mean that I do use it more than I initially thought I would.

It is also obligatory when using the feature that you put your hands on your head, or better still, out of the open sunroof, whilst parking is in progress. This stops you touching the wheel and interrupting the process, but more importantly, watching peoples faces when you do this is more than worth the extra cost!!!!!

• Like 3

The law in Australia says you must have 1m clearance to the front and rear when parallel parking. The Skoda system seems to be able to do that . I use it when desperate for a space and unsure if I will fit.

I love the parallel park feature. The tighter the space, the more accurately it seems to park the car.

I no more need it than I need cruise control to maintain a speed. Nor auto lights to know when to switch my lights on.

But it's convenient and works well - so long as the space is not too big.

Plenty of times it has beautifully parked me on very narrow residential roads where cars are parked both sides and there's only room for a single car to pass. It excels at this. And if I'm being honest, it scares the bejesus out of me as to how close it approaches the other cars both sides during that exact manoeuvre.

Had my dad in the car once. He drove tankers filled with aviation fuel for 35 years - so not your standard issue Scania jockey who engages in dare and brinkmanship with his big-rig. Anyhow, I went for a very tight space in the Superb. "You'll never get it in there" he said. "You're right" I replied, "I won't." The car did its thing and he got the point.

I like it.

But then I like cruise control and auto lights...

Edited by Jules Tohpipi
  • Like 3

I find it really difficult to drive into a space with the superb or any car bigger than a citigo, but reversing in is ten times easier. I get that you'd use logic and park with your front in at a supermarket but I always park as far away as possible from others. Maybe its because I get more accuracy reversing too.

Id love park assist, just so its another useful tool if i did ever need it. The amount of times I've looked at a space and decided no, but walked back past after parking further up and thought damn I could of got in there!

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

My only thought now is and I am crap at reversing is can I open the door or can the adjacent cars open their doors without hitting each other easily.

• 3 weeks later...

I use it all the time while parallel parking to protect the alloys.

I rate myself as a competent parker, but occasionally I catch the rear kerb side wheel. Doing it every day, probably 2 - 3 times a day and the damage builds up over 3 years.

I have the parallel park version on my 2012 L&K but it seems to only work when it wants to. I've only used it half a dozen times in a year. IMHO the Combi with parking sensors, whether it be a car park space or parallel parking couldn't be easier to park.

Mine is due to be built next month, 1st week of June so far, just waiting for confirmation, but I am looking forward to testing the park assist...

Stu 

Ive just ordered a 2.0 TDI 140 L&K Combi as a Company Car and I'm really looking forward to using the auto parking (even though I can park). I think the point about kerbing alloys is a very good one.

Ive just ordered a 2.0 TDI 140 L&K Combi as a Company Car and I'm really looking forward to using the auto parking (even though I can park). I think the point about kerbing alloys is a very good one.

It's not a panacea.  The way it works is it lines the side of your car up with the side of the car in front.  If the car your parking behind is narrower than your car and is already close to the kerb, park assist will put your car into the kerb.  The park assist does not actually detect the curb, it just puts you inline with the car in front.

I agree though that it will safely put the car into spaces I'd never attempt without the system.

I always drive forwards into bays. I don't see why people reverse in. You'd have squeeze the shopping trolley between cars to load your boot and with the length of the Superb you have to park right close to the car in front to fit in.

I can't help think its just a gimmick.

Reversing in is better for the environment.    In a cold morning you are off in a jiffy and dont labour a cold engine.  Reversing out leaves a cloud of fumes. If frosted over you are more likely not to reshape the car on a passing bus too!

Reversing in is better for the environment.    In a cold morning you are off in a jiffy and dont labour a cold engine.  Reversing out leaves a cloud of fumes. If frosted over you are more likely not to reshape the car on a passing bus too!

And for driveways, here in Victoria, Australia it's illegal to reverse out of one! It's also illegal to reverse into or out of median 90 degree parking.

But we have lots of stupid rules.

And for driveways, here in Victoria, Australia it's illegal to reverse out of one! It's also illegal to reverse into or out of median 90 degree parking.

But we have lots of stupid rules.

The driveway reversing makes sense actually. How many times do you reverse out only to discover a child running around or worse still hiding in the blind spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at pre-FL elegance models at present and was trying to get one with park assist but more for the fact that the car then has front sensors to aid in parking manually.... I was under the impression that they work the same as the rear ones when you are parking the car manually.... Is this not the case then?????

Cheers

Dave.

Front and rear sensors pretty much work the same.  You will have the visual display (dash) and serious of beeps as the rear ones.

Cheers for that. Yeah that's what I figured hence me trying to get one with park assist just so as to use the all round sensors when parking the car myself.

Cheers

Dave.

Cheers for that. Yeah that's what I figured hence me trying to get one with park assist just so as to use the all round sensors when parking the car myself.

Cheers

Dave.

We've only got rears on our pre-FL combi and front sensors are going to the top of the list for the next car