Is this too good to be true?

tempra007

The background, I was selling my old (2 years old) cruiser on Ebay and the buyer mucked me about, so I listed it in Autotrader with a selling price of £1300.00. A buyer contacted me asking the condition and price (if he read the ad it would have given him the info. Forward to today and I get this message, is this too good to be true or am I just being sceptical and having never sold on Autotrader and as the buyer hasn't even seen the bike??

correspondence below

Hello,

Thanks for the mail, I really appreciate your prompt reply and i'm glad you are selling to me... Firstly,I'm okay with the selling cost and i have seen the pics in which i really love to buy,secondly i don't want you to bother about the shipping process,I have a shipping company that handles my shipments,All you need do is to keep it for me in a safe and good condition.

As for the payment it will be by banker's cheque..Meanwhile, he will include the shipping fees to it which will be a little bit higher than the price of the bike [excess funds]..All you just have to do is to deduct your asking price which is £1350 out of the cheque payment and forward the balance to my pick up agent which i told you i will arrange for the pick up when all transaction has been concluded via Western Union Money Transfer,i will not be able to pay you by cash except a banker's cheque,I will instruct a client to issue out the payment to you on my behalf.

It takes 3 - 4 working days to clear a cheque, so cheque must clear before pickup. Notify me immediately when you get the funds ."I HOPE I CAN TRUST YOU WITH THE FUNDS"?I'm sure you can await the payment in the mail, It will be sent to the Information as requested below you will provide for me:

Full name...
Residential address...
City..
State..
Zipcode...
Country...
Phone number:
Cell Phone:........
Home Phone:............

Can you remove it from the posting and consider it sold to me? I will be happy if you can do that today ok and I will be looking forward to read from you.

Regards......Ashley.

N.B...The cheque will have to be cleared before the pick up of the bike..

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Enquiry for AJS DD
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 16:43:16 +0100

HI

The bike is in very good condition, one adult owner with 2379 miles on the clock. the asking price is £1300.00 or any serious offer.

Sent: 12 April 2014 16:18
To: [email protected]
Subject: Enquiry for AJS DD

2013_email_logo.jpg lb.jpg     You have been sent a message about the AJS DD you have listed on Auto Trader.       Advice from Auto Trader   • We take security seriously and so we've removed any links that might not be genuine. • If you reply to this message, we will keep your email address anonymous. • Never reply to a text message asking for your email address, genuine buyers will contact you through the link on your Auto Trader advert. • Do not give out your personal information via a text or email; if you do fraudsters can take over your account and modify your details and your advert. • Does this message contain an attachment or photo? If it does only open if you are sure they are from a trusted source, as we are unable to verify this information.     Message interested in buying your bike,so would like to know the present condition and asking price....thanks.       Stay safe with Auto Trader:   lock-li.gif If anyone offers the asking price without seeing your car, be very wary. Genuine buyers will want to view the car first.     lock-li.gif Always meet face to face. Honest buyers will want to examine your car and check all documentation carefully.     lock-li.gif Don't hand over the keys until payment has cleared. If it's cash, ask for the cash to be handed to you at a bank where it can be checked and paid into your account immediately.     lock-li.gif If you receive any suspicious emails, forward them to [email protected]       more-safety-tips.gif     red-blue.jpg  

Auto Trader Limited, Auto Trader House, Cutbush Park Industrial Estate, Danehill, Lower Earley, Reading, Berkshire RG6 4UT.

Registered in England with company number 3909628.

This e-mail is sent on behalf of Auto Trader Group Limited, Registered Office: Auto Trader House, Cutbush Park Industrial Estate, Danehill, Lower Earley, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 4UT (Registered in England No. 4768833). This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be legally privileged, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses. ________________________________________

This e-mail is sent on behalf of Auto Trader Group Limited, Registered Office: Auto Trader House, Cutbush Park Industrial Estate, Danehill, Lower Earley, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 4UT (Registered in England No. 4768833). This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be legally privileged, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

This e-mail is sent on behalf of Auto Trader Group Limited, Registered Office: Auto Trader House, Cutbush Park Industrial Estate, Danehill, Lower Earley, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 4UT (Registered in England No. 4768833). This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be legally privileged, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses. 

That one's a scam so just send your keys, reg doc, passport, driving licence and a utility bill, plus your bank account number and password to Mr Okemembo in Nigeria and he'll make sure that it gets sold without issue.

I'm not sure if you'll get the money, but I can guarantee it will be sold.

• Like 2

Definitely iffy. Certainly agree with the other posts.

I think if you were to pay such a cheque into your bank yes you would have access to the funds in four days time. However, when it has really cleared, or rather not, the bank would take the money away and you will have lost out.

This scam is a favourite on e-bay with mobile phones, or they ask you to post it to a friend in Holland or another EU country.

You dont have to sell it to a prospective buyer if you smell a rat or any other horrible body odour / aftershave / perfume ,in the same way as a buyer does not have to buy an item from you.

Yup, scam but report to the moderators/web owner. 

They are really keen to block all these scammers!  Its their business & they need to keep any "******s" out of action

I've sold every car I've had on Auto Trader (to the first buyer who came to look) - I think its a good site, anyone serious will call and come see the car/bike - No one will buy blind! (well I won't)

Good luck - if in good nick it will go!!!

Western Union + Shipping = scam

This - as soon as those words go together it shouts scam.

Also the State, country and Zip code lines that he asks for in the address - state and zip for UK???

• Like 1

Any sale including 'shipping' or some form of payment without reliable 'safety' rings the alarm bells for me. I have heard bad things about Western Union and TransToril

A website called 'scamwarners' is a good one to check from time to time or to check up on a dodgy sounding deal.

JRJG