Wingmirror Glass Fallen Off

Hi, I was cleaning the wingmirror glass on my Octavia this morning when the glass fell off. I'm assuming the adhesive has just worn out as I had a similar problem (juddering wingmirror glass at high speeds) on the other wingmirror a couple of years ago and the dealership "reapplied the glue" or something.

I was planning on just buying some double sided numberplate tape from halfords and sticking it back on myself, I'm just unsure if I need to remove the existing backing thats still on the car, that I presume is the old double sided tape:

IMAG0078_zps4de0e4fd.jpg

Or can I just stick the new tape on top of the old stuff? The old stuff just seems quite hard to get off.

The easiest thing to do would be to get a new glass off ebay. They're cheap and you know you wont have to mess about with it again. I use the seller ovi-autos and I know a few others here do too.

Welcome to Briskoda.

Edit: If you just tape it back on, it will probably come apart when you turn on the mirror heaters.

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify I do still have the existing glass as it came off in my hands as I cleaned it, so it's still in one piece, I assume I am ok to reuse it?

I found a couple of older threads to do with this problem and the suggested course of action is to use double sided tape from what I can infer:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/197924-wing-mirror-glass-fallen-off/

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/197594-mirror-glass/?pid=2349757

You can use double sided tape but make sure you buy really high quality thin tape, 3M stuff would be my recommendation.

If you use Halfords double sided registration plate tape then you will lose the heated mirror option on your car. The reason being that the reg plate tape is double sided foam type tape and it is about 1mm thick. This will hold the mirror 1mm away from the heating element and the only heat transfer will be via fresh air, which isn't the best conductor. The foam also acts as an insulator and will prevent heat transfer.  

By the time you've finished buying good tape etc it'll probably not be far off the price of new glass.

noticed my offside mirror wobbling at the weekend so i just pulled the glass up a bit from the bottom and applied double sided sticky pads. My heated mirrors never seemed to work so as long as the glass stays in i'll be happy.

We've had this problem discussed many times. I have had to refix both mine and used 5 minute Araldite epoxy for both, just using several small dobs over the surface, and not too near the edges.

Held glass carefully aligned in place with masking tape, allowed the stuff to set for half an hour (though it needs much less really) and have had no trouble since, regardless of heating.

Had this same symptom myself recently! The glass never actually fell out until i wanted to take the mirror housing off;

but at the time i took the housing off - i found the glass was basically help in by moisture residue from washing or general rain/dampness.

God knows how the jet washer hadn't dislodged it already.... as the adhesive pad was completely useless.

Standard double sided sticky tape worked well for a few weeks; but i opted to replace the unit eventually.

The issue is the fact they are heated mirrors. The heater loosens the adhesive over years of use, so eventually it just gives up. Sometimes you are lucky enough that it has it's final gasp in your hand.

As suggested above, 3M double-sided tape should do the job. However, I have found that heating the plastic with a hair-drier before sticking it all back together has tended to give a much longer life.

Ebay has also yielded a multitude of replacements. I have pair sitting sitting at h that both have blind-spot eliminators, blue anti-glare glass and heated, at £20 for the pair.

The easiest thing to do would be to get a new glass off ebay. They're cheap and you know you wont have to mess about with it again. I use the seller ovi-autos and I know a few others here do too.

Welcome to Briskoda.

Edit: If you just tape it back on, it will probably come apart when you turn on the mirror heaters.

I totally agree + 1

Another vote for spending £10 with OVI Autos on eBay and getting it sorted with minimal fuss.

Their customer service is excellent.