Detailing light sources

samuir1974

ooh looking good, the best light is the big orange thing in the sky... But that only comes out once or twice a year. Looks like your getting a great set up, enjoy.

Absolutely - couldnt agree more on natural light; but the big bonus of the new house+garage is the indoor space which can house the R36 and/or project car for some serious detailing, sealing, curing, etc etc.

Looking forward to getting it sorted and organising some detailing days with you guys....  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Some nice flood lights! Are they Crompton by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would i tell? Got them cheap and cheerful from China mate.

I've had the PIR version installed as my outside security lights.

Very reliable and after 3 years still going strong.  :thumbup:

The halogen style units corrode easily and bulbs fail very regular!

LED are 10W option versus the 300,400 or 500W halogen.

They would say on them, look very similar though! Crompton are a british maufacturer of lights, very good stuff.

But 3 years is good, so the quality of these must be very good!

There is a chance the PIR version are Crompton - as i got these when they were first released.

They were about 4 times the price of these latest ones Ben.

In fact - i got 3 x 10W LED (non-PIR) for £20 delivered!

There is a chance the PIR version are Crompton - as i got these when they were first released.

Thats a very good price! Don't think i could even match that at cost! ha

• Like 1

Do you have the link.....and do you find 10w bright enough as that's the equivelent of 100w in old money or would 20 or 30w be better?

Cheers

• Like 1

Do you have the link.....and do you find 10w bright enough as that's the equivelent of 100w in old money or would 20 or 30w be better?

Cheers

I'll see if i can get a link; the package deal was via a guy i used to use on car LED orders.

The idea is that 3 or 4 x 10W along each side of the garage will be ok for detailing.

Front and back of the car i will have 30 or 50W mobile units on stands; plus lighting in the rafters above the car.

That's the plan.... but has to be tested as yet....

This is the sort of idea - first one i came across on eBay....

10W = £9.50

20W = £19.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Floodlight-10W-20W-30W-50W-100W-PIR-RGB-Classic-Models-All-Available-/230843628438?pt=UK_Garden_Lighting&var=&hash=item35bf5a3b96

One of the detailing guys - does a 50W version on a stand for £50 - which i'm looking at as well.... as per the other thread...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/328475-things-of-detailing-lust/?p=3943949

• 3 weeks later...

Having another play with some swirl finder torches at the weekend - some lightweight pocket size ones this time.

Aim is to compliment the sun gun, workshop lamps and permanent/fixed lighting in the detailing bay.

Some interesting results.... started with a sample of the Rupes LL150 LED torch.

Small, light weight and ideal for the job - but pricey in the £30+ bracket.

537DB3C3-8200-490F-A74F-12801FEBACF1_zps

Then the Costco option; a bit more bulky - but a 2-pack for £24 was good value

and this is the brightest out of the three. 500Lumens from FEIT Electric

IMG_20130129_094739.jpg

But the cheapest and bargain surprise is the little import from China

£1.62 with free delivery on Amazon. 300Lumens at this price is great!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q5-Zoomable-Adjustable-Flashlight-Waterproof/dp/B007B86KLC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413273093&sr=8-2&keywords=led+cree+torch

51diqFHsitL.jpg

Thought to share with you guys - it might be of interest  :thumbup:

• Like 1

They come in very handy when walking around a car to assess the paint. I have the LED Lenser P7.2, awesome, but again quite pricey.

Yes indeed - the Lenser has come up on a few threads and gets good reviews.

I didnt have access to one or a loan; so i tested out the 3 mentioned above.

Other than brightness and focus settings - i can see that Rupes have worked

hard to keep the colour temp of the LED in the ideal window for swirl checking.

Only other element i want to monitor is battery life of course.  :thumbup:

I have a lenser 7.2 at work which I use as a torch not a swirl finder although I do have an old 7 with a dodgy switch that I could use for swirl finding if I can repair it. As a torch its excellent! Can only imagine it would work well for defect spotting

• Like 1

I have a lenser 7.2 at work which I use as a torch not a swirl finder although I do have an old 7 with a dodgy switch that I could use for swirl finding if I can repair it. As a torch its excellent! Can only imagine it would work well for defect spotting

I have heard good things on the Lenser P7 and P7.2 series. Very popular on the detailing scene.

It has a nice ruggedised feel to it as well ...shame about the switch fault right enough.

The switch is different on my 7.2 so hopefully it will be more reliable than the 7, a few guys at work have had them fail too. I use the 7.2 every day and its battery life is impressive considering its brightness and its plenty tough as I've dropped it a good few times. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another!

• Like 2

The switch is different on my 7.2 so hopefully it will be more reliable than the 7, a few guys at work have had them fail too. I use the 7.2 every day and its battery life is impressive considering its brightness and its plenty tough as I've dropped it a good few times. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another!

That's good to know - battery life is certainly something i want to check.

Thanks for the info and feedback  :thumbup:

Agree, my 7.2 has been faultless & extremely bright. I like the zoom in/out function and also the 2 power settings.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having another play with some swirl finder torches at the weekend - some lightweight pocket size ones this time.

Aim is to compliment the sun gun, workshop lamps and permanent/fixed lighting in the detailing bay.

But the cheapest and bargain surprise is the little import from China

£1.62 with free delivery on Amazon. 300Lumens at this price is great!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q5-Zoomable-Adjustable-Flashlight-Waterproof/dp/B007B86KLC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413273093&sr=8-2&keywords=led+cree+torch

51diqFHsitL.jpg

Two of these arrived yesterday..... absolutely great for the money!

No instructions, labels, info, or battery for that matter (AA required); but at £1.62 delivered.... Bargain  :thumbup: 

Compact enough to have one in the glovebox, centre console, etc - and keep in the car 24-7.

I've got one in the centre console and the spare sits in the boot with the jack and locking wheel nut etc.

• Like 3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131122005467?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=430307623205&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the link on the torch-just ordered a couple to use as a normal or detailing lights-at that price it would berude not to. After seeing your thread I got 2 cool white led floodlights on the wall and another 2 on stands I can move around or use for other purposes like decorating as there's not the fire risk associated with using halogens from the place above. They are either the best or worst lights I've come across for showing marks and swirls depending whether you want to find them or not!

Top recommendations-thanks.

• Like 1