tweenster's S2000

tweenster

Nearly 500 miles in the Fabia this weekend, and every mile was a pleasure. The Eibachs and RARB make roundabouts an absolute hoot, and the heated seats and cruise control make it a comfortable mile muncher. Averaged just over 40mpg as well! But the best bit is saved for the look on the face of the driver of the BMW 330 Ci who didn't seem to believe that a Skoda Fabia was keeping up with him off the roundabouts - at least that is the only reason I can think of why he wouldn't move over!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I posted anything about Mrs T's Fabia but a lot happened this weekend. It started with me realising on Tuesday evening that the MOT was due next week. No worries, I booked her in for Friday afternoon that night via the local MOT Centre's online booking service and I sent Mrs T on her way. The car failed! 2 worn tyres and wiper blades. *******s! Both are avoidable and perhaps with a bit of planning and there not being 4 inches of snow on the ground I might have checked, but there we go.

The tyre issue annoyed me. They were almost new when we bought the car just 12 months ago and they were borderline slicks in just 8000 miles of Mrs T commuting. Trust me, she does not push the limits of adhesion! I have not been a fan of the Falkens that came with the car but I'm not a fan of rushing around local tyre dealers either. However, after a bit of research and a few phone calls the car now has a pair of Avon ZZ5s on the front. Initial impressions are very positive; I reckon the sidewalls are not as stiff on the Avons making the tyre more comfortable in everyday use. I will see if Mrs T notices any difference. I'm not a fan of having different tyres on the car so will look to replacing the rears sooner rather than later.

Just need 2 new wipers now and I can re-present the car at the MOT centre.

I did not know you could fit 22s on 17 inch rims was only aware of 205 standard and 215 as per vw audi and seat variants of the tsi sport do they fit with no issues

They are standard size 205/40 17s, they are Avon ZZ5 tyres.

What are the roof ones?

i thought the roofs were White on s2000 other than where Dealers put extra decals on.

I think it's a big Skoda badge, or did the dealers add these? Edited by tweenster

Good news, bad news day.

First, the good news. I really like the new Avon ZZ5 tyres; they are much quieter than the old Falkens and seem to give a smoother ride. Haven't been able to test grip yet but initial impressions are positive. I gave the car a quick wash today and the paintwork keeps coming up gleaming. Very happy.   :D

Now the bad news; the car has become an oil user. It is booked in for its service on 28 Feb and I have already had a discussion with the Service Team about it. They have asked be to record mileage and oil consumption between now and then and we will talk about the next steps at that time. The evidence is clear (and not just the amount of oil I need to keep topping it up with), when it kicks down it is accompanied by a large cloud of blue smoke from the exhaust. From my understanding this is a classic symptom of a worn piston rings in the CAVE engine; is that right? If so, is the fix a new engine? Mrs T loves the car so we don't really want to get rid of it. Very unhappy.   :(

Blasting smoke out the exhaust is not the sign of an oil user.

Maybe one pottering around then getting a blast.

So not a Classic Symptom.

Too much, too blue etc, that would be different, but is this a cold engine putting out smoke.

?

How much oil are you using?

you are not overfilling are you?

Like where is the oil on the Dipstick when dipped cold.?

TY. Maybe not a classic sign of an oil user but doesn't blue smoke suggest that oil is getting past the piston rings? Engine was fully warm when I witnessed the blue smoke. It is Mrs T's car that she uses for a 10 mile each way commute every day so doesn't get thrashed at all (by her!). I get to drive it once a week if I'm lucky.

I have put in 700ml over that last 110 miles keeping it at the mid point of the hatched area when cold. 

Is the soot on the tailpipe Black from being rich, which many are,  

or Blue/Grey. & do you have any oil on the rear of the car?

Last winter my car used 1.2 litres of Oil in 520 miles in 3 weeks after a New oil & Filter and lending the car.

Never used any since, it was how they were using it, 

2x 80 mile drives and the rest just short, start and stop journeys.

EDIT,

Just checked, it was 1.3 litres in 521 miles that was used

when i had just put 3.6 litres in,

& no warning light or message was showing, the oil was just on the bottom orange ball.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I'll have a look at the tailpipe when it's daylight; not sure when that will next be as at present Mrs T leaves for work in the dark and gets home in the dark.

No obvious signs of oil on the rear of the car when I washed her today.

Feel the soot on your fingers & you will also see if Black,  or you will feel it oily.

Where is the oil on the dipstick when cold when you top up?

Thanks for the info; will 'dip a finger' when she gets home tomorrow! (fnaar, fnaar!).

The oil is usually at the bottom of the hatched area when I refill. Occasionally there is only a little showing on the ball or very occasionally nothing at all! Only once, though, has the check oil light come on.

• 2 weeks later...

Still need to do the 'finger' check.

Yesterday I took the Fabia on a day out to the National Memorial Arboretum. Weather was foul but the car performed brilliantly and very impressed with the Avon ZZ5 tyres; solid and dependable through standing water at motorway speeds with no sign of aquaplaning (they are new that obviously helps).

I was a bit disappointed with mpg on the way down as it struggled to get above 34mpg. However, after a couple of 6000rpm manoeuvres away from roundabouts and joining motorway slip roads it increased dramatically and was around 39mpg by the time we got home. Mrs T commutes in the car so does a lot of slow running in traffic, would this be the resultant carbon build up affecting mpg that the high revs and use of the turbo would have burned off? Just curious. 

Yes, something like that!

I always found these little engines like to be 'ragged'.

I went by the rule 'A redline a day keeps the mechanic away'

They run rich so quickly clog up with soot in the exhaust system, so blowing out the cobwebs (literally) helps!

• Like 2

I usually have a "blast" with the car on Saturdays after putt-putting to work and back during the week. The first foot down usually produces a decent black cloud behind me. After that one puff of sooty particles, there is nothing, at least not noticeable from the driver's seat.

I didn't use the car one Saturday (was away) and had two weeks of Driving Miss Daisy between runs. There happened to be a common or garden Focus pestering me by sitting on my ring when I finally opened up the Fabia after the two weeks.... result, a cloud big enough to completely envelop the Focus, as I rocketed off into the distance....  :devil:

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 2