Dealer having a laugh?

A good friend is just about to take delivery of a Yeti and asked the salesman:

"If I buy a set of genuine Skoda door sill guards and fit them myself will it invalidate the warranty?"

Salesman "Definitely."

Sigh

• Like 1

That will be the salesman wanting commission for the sale and fitting imo, everything you do to the car is something they can't make money out of. It much depends on the individual at the dealer and the dealers sales logic they are encouraged to follow, it could potentially be a grey area if say they caused a paint perforation warranty claim in a couple years because the rub though the paint and rust started spreading and they could then turn round and say they weren't fitted by an authorized skoda technician etc, etc.... I personally would buy them online or from another dealer an fit myself, if genuine skoda parts they will never bat an eyelid when it goes in for service.

Personally no

But as Wright said, it might void the bit of warranty that it impacts.

I mean how can a dealer say " complete warranty void, coz u stuck a sticker on the bodywork and that invalidates the paintwork/rust warranty etc" - but it should not invalidate the warranty that covers say the engine!

I had a LPG converted VW Golf.

I converted my self, but when Golf had problem with electric window,

The dealer said "we fix under warranty, lpg nothing to do with windows - lol"

I have to agree - the salesman is clearly a bit of a t*t and trying it on. 

Then of course he also asked the same salesman a question about his friend (me) who had replaced the reversing and rear fog lights with led equivalents on his nearly new Fabia because the reversing lights are so poor.   The salesman confirmed that I too had invalidated my warranty.  Where do these people come from I wonder?

It is crazy in this case and stick on sill guards.

But there is a Corrosion (Panel holed) Warranty,

and sills are structural.

Unbelievable but with some cars, some people will fit 'Sill Protectors' and drill holes and Screw or Pop Rivet them on.

Or they want back lit 'Door Sill Protectors',

& drill a inner sill and the top of the sill to put through wiring.

You see all sorts if you live long enough.

george

I wonder what effect changing the tax disc holder would have :devil:   or what happens in October if I remove it? :wall:  Surely as it was a dealer fitted item......nah, let's not go there.

Edited by grajay
  • Like 2

This is not the first time I read on these forums about such practices from dealers. Is this the latest trend in UK dealerships or is it what will be the norm all around the world?

Same goes for insurance companies. Somewhere on these forums again read that in order a vRS owner cover his roof with vinyl had to pay extra to the insurance company.

I can understand the thinking behind it, this is not the golden era of car sales so in trying to make profit out of accessories, spare parts and labor they are trying to "chain" customers with such absurd warranty tactics. What's next? voiding your warranty because you reclined your seat without booking an appointment with your dealership for "proper" adjustment?

• Like 1

This is not the first time I read on these forums about such practices from dealers. Is this the latest trend in UK dealerships or is it what will be the norm all around the world?

Same goes for insurance companies. Somewhere on these forums again read that in order a vRS owner cover his roof with vinyl had to pay extra to the insurance company.

I can understand the thinking behind it, this is not the golden era of car sales so in trying to make profit out of accessories, spare parts and labor they are trying to "chain" customers with such absurd warranty tactics. What's next? voiding your warranty because you reclined your seat without booking an appointment with your dealership for "proper" adjustment?

Didn't give them any ideas... Lol

• Like 1

Some car sales staff talk rubbish,same as any walk of life,the intelligent are mixed with the other sort.

I had a laugh only yesterday with one at a Honda dealer,talking about trade-in values.He stated that their values would be the same as WBAC....just a minute,I might as well sell to WBAC and have cash to get a discount off you or,better still,find a car to purchase privately even cheaper.He looked a bit confused at that point.