Superb II Facelift gearknob in a Superb II

And now, due to popular demand, the most exciting and innovative mod to my Superb!

*drumroll*

24bokmg.jpg

After Enriquez (who else :rock: ) showed me his knob (not that one) I knew I had to have one that looked just like his (what?) For you comparison-freaks, the smaller one is the Facelift gearknob. I did the same mod in my Octavia II, I retrofitted the O2 FL gearknob. It was remarkable how such a stupid tiny mod transformed the car. You never look at your knob (or do we?) but you feel it all the time (allright settle down!) and for about a month it felt like a completely new car.

As you can see on the middle picture, my old knob had a scratch. Top tip; If you plan on removing your Columbus to plug in the reversing camera, remove it completely and don't balance it on the gearstick... I was also not a big fan of the seam visible in picture 3, lots of dirt found it's way there.

So, open the ashtray, pry along the chrome edge of the black baseplate (the ENTIRE black baseplate including the buttons pops out) as soon as you get it to lift, wiggle a finger underneath and the gearstick gaiter frame pops loose. They are separate, so in theory you could use a thin plastic trim removal tool, and try to remove the gearstick gaiter from without moving the baseplate. The risks of sticking something sharp between the leather gaiter and the frame should be clear though.

Anywho, the gearstickgaiter is attached around the round gearstick with 4 plastic tabs, pinched together with the ****** metal ring of doom. A small needle-nosed pliers can be used to open the ****** metal ring of doom sufficiently to slip it over the tabs, and off comes your knob. Refit the new one, but instead of the ****** metal ring of doom, use a ziptie to hold it in place. Et voila, enjoy your brand new motor!

Partnumber is 3T0 711 113 AB or AD. Mind damaged ones, they can be had on the 'bay for the princely sum of 20€, or the ridiculous amount of 99€'s, so shop around.

To finish off the story of my knob, here's the old one including the ****** metal ring of room.

nccope.jpg

To be honest I prefer the look of the old knob! Mines a 4x4 so has that is on it also.

To each his own - it's just an alternative when someone grows tired of his old knob ;-)

And you can get one with 4x4 on it too!

• 2 months later...

Is there a good way to stop the trim around the gear stick squeaking? Every so often I get this and pushing the trim down at the ashtray end silences it, but I'm wondering if there's a more permanent solution. I've been getting a plasticy click from the gear lever on some shifts, which I want to have a look at too, so this panel will need to come off anyway.

What I like to use is "fabric tape". It's the tape automakers use to prevent wiring looms from making noise. It's sticky on 1 side, and soft fabric on the other.

This is the partnumber; 000 979 950

Any dealer should be able to sell you a few rolls, or check on eBay. I've been using it for a few years now, and it works wonderfully. It's tearable, so not good at securing things, but if you want to seal a gap or prevent a squeek, use it.

357koqv.jpg

Edited by Too Tall
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...