Honeycomb Grill has finally arrived

I bought a SuperSkoda honeycomb grille for my MK2 vRS. I think they look great and would like to do the same to my MK3 but I'm getting a bit scared by the idea of upsetting the original build quality if it has been bonded into the bumper. 

Anyone tried to fit it yet?

972353_10152880884445145_1893831769_n.jp

Obviously this is a quick hash up of it. I'm not so sure I like it, the honeycomb cells seem to just be a little too large.

mzQMngV.png

Sorry to say that doesn't look very nice with the honeycomb grill, too bad!

Looks like a dodgy Chinese moulding, probably best to get it painted black before you fit it.

Well it does say 'Kopacek Import', so it probably is from china.

I cant really tell the quality from the pics, apart from a couple of rough looking edges.

Some of the superskoda items do seem quite cheap, so what are we expecting?

Yes. Post 27 on the previous page.

Basically what the photo tells you is- Dont do it!!

Wasn't that a quick photoshop?

I'd also be interested to see this actually fitted if anyone is brave enough?

Ah sorry yes, looks like it may just be stuck over the top.

Still, doesnt look good.

Worse, it was a quick MS Paint jobbie :D  As I don't have PS on the machine I mocked that up on. Not bad considering a couple of people seem to have thought it was real. :p

I've not seen the grill on any real life cars yet, just the ones from MK2's. I think the MK2 carries it off nicely, the O3 is probably going to be less likely as I think it looks a bit...... fussy and the cells are just too large.

Worse, it was a quick MS Paint jobbie :D As I don't have PS on the machine I mocked that up on. Not bad considering a couple of people seem to have thought it was real. :p

I've not seen the grill on any real life cars yet, just the ones from MK2's. I think the MK2 carries it off nicely, the O3 is probably going to be less likely as I think it looks a bit...... fussy and the cells are just too large.

It's a good mock up and certainly discourages me from ordering it.

Hopefully someone can fit it for real and prove us wrong though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Way back when the car was almost new, the middle part of the original grille was cut out by a passing vandal. The Skoda "replace the bumper" solution was too stupidly expensive even to consider. The honey comb grille was under development at the time and not available for a couple of months so I fitted a bit of expanded metal mesh over the hole as a temporary fix. That has done the job well and looked quite respectable so I was in no rush to do the full fix. However, last week, prompted by the Superskoda 20% sale, I ordered the new grille which arrived yesterday. A quick visit to Steve at http://www.plastics-surgery.com/ and it has been fitted for £70+VAT.  Getting the bumper on and off was evidently pretty fiddly. The grill is actually plastic-welded to the bumper but Steve was able to melt the old weld and fit the new grille in place just as the designer intended. At his suggestion, and because I had enough material left over from the original repair, Steve bonded expanded metal mesh to the back of the grille. It adds a bit of extra protection from flying stones and might also deter anyone from trying to cut the new grille out. Still don't know why the original damage was done. Possibly trying to access the bonnet release so that the battery or the cat converter could be nicked? Or just plain viciousness?

I'm not going to try to post a photo unless there is a desparate plea for one. The pictures on the Superskoda website give a pretty fair illustration of the finished job and I doubt that I could show anything better.

In passing, I am starting to worry about Skoda's attitude to maintainabilty. When I first bought my Mk1 Octavia it was a highly reliable, relatively low maintenance cost machine. The high official spares cost of what should have been a fairly simple repair, the fact that the bumper had to be removed to do it and the inaccessibility of some of the bumper fixing points all suggest to me that Skoda / VAG are losing sight of one of the Octavia's original low cost of ownership features that made it so attractive to people like me who pay for their own cars.

Edited by MartinM
  • Like 1

I'm not going to try to post a photo unless there is a desparate plea for one. The pictures on the Superskoda website give a pretty fair illustration of the finished job and I doubt that I could show anything better.

Consider this a desperate plea then!

The SS images are not entirely clear on how the grille matches the lower honeycomb sections and looks a bit recessed back. Also would be nice to see it on another colour other than black (But I don't know what colour your is?)

I would be interested to see the fit of yours and how it blends with the lower grille, and also if your extra metal mesh helps to make the honeycomb openings a bit less exposed?

Here's one of the Superskoda images for comparison:

o3-frwnds6.jpg

Edited by Spudey

I quite like the back skoda badge on that.....

Nooo!! Definitely not for me!

Bring back the original badge i say. ie the one found on the Mk2.

Not a fan of these minimilistic (no picking up on any spelling errors please!) badges.

Here's one of the Superskoda images for comparison:

o3-frwnds6.jpg

Now im going to cause an uproar, I just know it. But that really is not a Skoda.

A Skoda is a reliable, family friendly, everyday car.

This looks like a chavved up boy racer!

Now i'll leave before i get lynched!

I havent bothered putting mine on because i actually like the look of mine with the black pack, seems almost a shame to ruin it. Although mine isn't a family or everyday car, its for me to be a chav in!!!

• 2 weeks later...