Fabia Recall

If I have one piece of advice it is don't waste your breath complaining to Skoda UK.

The only reason the injector recall on all VAG PD170 engines became an official recall was because VOSA stepped in and forced Skoda UK's hand.

When I spoke to VOSA I got to speak to a very professional gentleman who had a clear interest in my issues and explained to me exactly what they needed from me to be able to help. A polar opposite to Skoda UK's customer services who's first response was to deny there were any issues with the injectors.

It Skoda receive 10 emails as a direct result of this thread, I can guarantee you'll get the brush-off.

If VOSA (now called DVSA by the way) get 10 emails / calls they will investigate the issue.

[email protected]

Thanks for your comments,very constuctive.

However,it is my believe you have to do both.

Raise an official Case No with Skoda UK and then quote that to VOSA /DSA.That way Skoda can't say that thy have not had communication with their CUSTOMER.

Did VOSA ever get involve with the Engine ISSUES.Or was this considered not to be a safety problemby them? 

Customer pressure has got some replacement activity out of Skoda UK,albeit like pulling Hens Teeth.

• Like 2

PM me, if you are planning to join in .

Thanks

Keith

Just a thank you, to those who have sent me a PM and given a commitment.

Cheers.

Keith

Guess the Skoda / VAG dealers /service garages will be reading off the same hymn sheet today.

Please feedback what  is said.

Thanks

I cannot see how this is not a safety issue either. Having absolutely no power for 2 seconds when I put my foot down (then promply whizzing off) is extremely dangerous.

I will be writing to Skoda UK.

• Like 1

email sent, lets see what good it does

Good stuff.

Better than apathy and nothing said.

Nothing venture.......

Cheers.

I cannot see how this is not a safety issue either. Having absolutely no power for 2 seconds when I put my foot down (then promply whizzing off) is extremely dangerous.

I will be writing to Skoda UK.

Great stuff , it is hugely important to notify "Near Miss" issues and hence raise your history file Case No. with Skoda UK.

They ought to investigate, for two reasos, improving their product but more importantly the safety of Customers and others.  

Just had this back from Skoda Uk also sent email to VOSA.

Thank you for your email dated 10 May 2014 regarding any recalls on your ŠKODA Fabia.

I can confirm that there are two outstanding Field Actions that need to be completed by your ŠKODA Retailer and I have listed them below:

34F7 S-Gear oil replacement

74C7 W-Heater element

I would recommend that you get these completed by a ŠKODA Retailer at your earliest convenience.

Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good

• Like 2

Just had this back from Skoda Uk also sent email to VOSA.

Thank you for your email dated 10 May 2014 regarding any recalls on your ŠKODA Fabia.

I can confirm that there are two outstanding Field Actions that need to be completed by your ŠKODA Retailer and I have listed them below:

34F7 S-Gear oil replacement

74C7 W-Heater element

I would recommend that you get these completed by a ŠKODA Retailer at your earliest convenience.

Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good

Typical response: why haven't they put this news on the Skoda News WEBSITE or don't they like showing negative alongside the Plaudits from surveys.

Follow up with this admin guy  in Customer Services,can you give me the details to each please.

What about field action on "high oil burners and  or engine replacement "?

This may be a coincidence and unrelated, but yesterday my vRS suffered a momentary loss of power. This is the first DSG glitch I have had since owning the car (61 plate). I was exiting a roundabout in auto mode (D) and put my foot down to accelerate away expecting kick down but got nothing, and I mean nothing. It was like it suddenly found neutral which was scary because the car behind got very close and must of wondered why I was slowing down with a clear road ahead. Fortunately it regained power after a second or two and I was away. Has anyone else ever had anything happen like this?

I have now reported this incident to SUK. I wanted it on record but wasn't insistent on any action being taken right now unless it happens again (I very much doubt diagnostics will show anything anyway and really don't want a wasted trip to the dealer). I wanted to know if anyone had reported a similar case and suggested that the DSG oil should be changed at the next service as a precaution.

I quickly received a reply, with the suggestion of taking the car to the dealer to be checked out. If I don't take this option the case will be closed. I was told that there have not been any other reports of power loss in the UK and the person I spoke to did not appear to be aware of the worldwide DSG problems and recalls. Apparently owners of cars with 7 speed DSGs will be receiving letters about the oil change.

NB. The car has been behaving fine ever since and I probably won't be taking this any further for the time being.

• Like 1

I have now reported this incident to SUK. I wanted it on record but wasn't insistent on any action being taken right now unless it happens again (I very much doubt diagnostics will show anything anyway and really don't want a wasted trip to the dealer). I wanted to know if anyone had reported a similar case and suggested that the DSG oil should be changed at the next service as a precaution.

I quickly received a reply, with the suggestion of taking the car to the dealer to be checked out. If I don't take this option the case will be closed. I was told that there have not been any other reports of power loss in the UK and the person I spoke to did not appear to be aware of the worldwide DSG problems and recalls. Apparently owners of cars with 7 speed DSGs will be receiving letters about the oil change.

NB. The car has been behaving fine ever since and I probably won't be taking this any further for the time being.

Big Sheep,

Thanks for the detail.

As I mentioned on the other Thread "DSG went Bang". 

But do you trust it?

Like most intermittent electronic faults,you can't.Guess it's down your own Risk Analysis..

Interesting thought I spoke to my local dealer and although skoda uk said they will have the same information they said my car is due the heated seat recall and another cable chaffing issue still no mention of the dsg oil issue untill I quoted the code from skoda uk and they checked and by magic it will be done on my next service.

I have a may 13 model and booked it in for a service today. No mention of this oil change. I'll ask them when I take it in on Wednesday. Not too fussed as I took out the 5 year warranty.

My Partners car is July 2013, the dealer tells us it's not on the list to be changed.

They have never explained how this is determined,Engine No, VIN No.?

Appears to be ,what oil is used ,on any production day and in what production plant.

Jrw - I also had this experience with my dealer - it is only when they prepare the paperwork for the sevice that they bother checking for any outstanding workshop service schedule work - if you want to ensure that they allocate enough time for your service to get the oil change and ecu update done at the same time ( 1 and a half hours) you might need to call them beforehand.

When you say 'booked in today' I assume you mean you made the booking for a few days time , or weeks time, and not yesterday.

Spoke to Skoda customer services yesterday - they had a script prepared - but obviously the chap I spoke to is not a Briskoda member and had not done his homework properly

If you work for Soda customer services surely the first thing you do is join Briskoda!!!!! Or at least read the threads that concern the Recall before calling customers.

Anyway - left him in no doubt that IMO this should be a full Safety Recall and he said he would feed my view back to UK management

• Like 1

re Warranty.

Having a Original Skoda Warranty of 2,3,4 or 5 years or an Extended Warranty should not be relevant with the DSG Issue.

ie the risk of failure or glitches and loss of drive of the vehicle.

POWER INTERRUPTION or TOTAL LOSS OF DRIVE/POWER.

Different cars or models ranging from 2009-2013

If Volkswagen have built a Gearbox that may fail due to their Design and Parts/Fluids used,

then they are going to be having to take responsibility for a long time.

A buyer might expect a 5-7 year life as a minimum out of a vehicle and with Manufacturers Prescribed Servicing & inspections 

& with safe and reliable motoring.

VW had to do World Wide Recalls because of an Error on their Builds,

They have had to Give Warranties of 100,000 miles in some World Regions.

They might as well with the Likes of Skoda UK notify all owners of cars that might be Affected and get them Inspected.

As it is, they need to Accept as a Car Manufacturer that the faults & possible failures are down to them,

& extra costs should not be landed on Customers that bought what they thought was a Product of Merchantable Quality.

In New Zealand there is 'No cost' to the Customers, No need to have a vehicle going in to a Dealer 

for its Annual Servicing.

But then there were not many vehicles affected, it would appear.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

If a Car needs to go into a Skoda Dealership Workshop in the UK for Inspection & Preventative 

measures or to Rectify Build Faults from VW's Manufacturing,

then surely there is no need for UK Customers to be paying a Dealership Anything.

Its Skoda/VW that are paying for Labour & Parts,

That why they will have Insurance to cover their Corporate Failures, or its part and parcel of being a Vehicle Manufacturer, you need to get things right, or pay for your mistakes.

Customers bought the product and trust them to get it right or do the right thing.

'Silent Campaigns', that they class as 'Service Campaigns' are not really giving Advice to Customers.

They have had a Week since the Campaign Started last week in the UK,

Surely

Auto Express, Autocar,  VW Driver, Car, EVO, Top Gear etc will have Skoda Notices or Press Releases in this week or Month to make Owners aware to contact Skoda, VW, SEAT, Audi. 

george

• Like 1

Spoke to Skoda customer services yesterday - they had a script prepared - but obviously the chap I spoke to is not a Briskoda member and had not done his homework properly

If you work for Soda customer services surely the first thing you do is join Briskoda!!!!! Or at least read the threads that concern the Recall before calling customers.

Anyway - left him in no doubt that IMO this should be a full Safety Recall and he said he would feed my view back to UK management

Was that John Good you spoke to.

I always asked then to reply in writing to the points that were raised.

They don't like that, as the conversation on thephone is not a commitment.

When I raise the e-mail with Skoda UK I ask then to reply to m question rised via e-mail.

John Good left two message for me yesteay,mobile and home

Good that VW Updated what they intend doing and they removed the bit about sending out Letters.

I wonder what SEAT UK are going to do,

The CEO set out what was going to happen about the 7 speed DSG in the UK,

that is probably going to be changed to match VW,

the record is still there of what he said though.

http://news.sky.com/story/1168639/vw-recalls-2-6m-cars-worldwide-over-faults

• Like 1

i do wonder if the clunk i often get from applying the brake pedal has anything to do with the DSG disengaging and sending a shudder to the brake pedal?

a, so called, Tech did hear the noise and had no idea what it could be, still doing it now after months and months, a quirk perhaps ;)

god this thread is long, here is the exact official reason given, i read it myself at the service desk and im writing this from memory:

DSG-7 that's ALL MODELS WITH THIS GEARBOX not just the VRS

The synthetic oil used can hold an electrical charge and fry the electronics for the gearbox causing clutches to be released and loss of drive... so yeah disastrous.

Mineral oil will replace the synthetic which will not be able to hold a electrical charge.

Also a software update for the gearbox which no reason was given for, will it reduce the speed of the changes, change shift points........ who knows.

Not to happy about this, seems like a cover up if i ever saw one and Skoda dealers are being kept in the dark about it too!.