Fabia Recall

Nobody would ignore a 'Recall' surely.

So lets see if 'Skoda/VW' do a sort of 'Call in' of cars type 'Recall'.

by telling owners of the cars that are not visiting their Main Dealerships.

A few adverts and Press Releases to the Editors, & then the Public will know.

'If only everything in life was as reliable as a Golf',  

or

VW/Skoda were as open and honest as Toyota had to become.

To true George if everything was as reliable as a golf :D

The Golf bit was sarcasm due to the unreliability of many VW parts and engines including the Golf.

The advert was a good advertising campaign that started the Myth, and allows VW to do the likes of Service Campaigns,

rather than Recalls other than where they really are forced to.

Just keep building and updating, evolving, use paying customers to buy advanced technology that is unreliable

and moving on, and forget the Lemons.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures

• Like 1

This thread is bizarre! There is no recall. When letters start dropping onto everybody's doormat there will be a recall. Until then I don't see the point of worrying about it. :-)

• Like 1

Most posters on this thread are arguing that there SHOULD be a Recall

Fully aware that there is not a Recall yet , but that is exactly the point of a lot of the posts

some are worried about Skoda techs playing around with sealed DSG7 units

If you don't want to worry about it that is your choice but the thread is hardly 'bizarre'

In fact I am very grateful for the op so I can get the job done at the same time as my one year service

Most posters on this thread are arguing that there SHOULD be a Recall

Fully aware that there is not a Recall yet , but that is exactly the point of a lot of the posts

some are worried about Skoda techs playing around with sealed DSG7 units

If you don't want to worry about it that is your choice but the thread is hardly 'bizarre'

In fact I am very grateful for the op so I can get the job done at the same time as my one year service

Sorry but I didn't read any posts of people demanding a recall. You yourself said you were worried about letting techs mess with the DSG and were tempted to ignore the issue as there is nothing wrong with your car. I'm with George and Sharkrider on this one I'm afraid.

Furbytom -I would point you to posts 27, 42 , 44 and others where if you read between the lines, the posters are arguing that VAG are avoiding the issue and an issue such as a potential loss of power should be a full safety Recall (if only to ensure that they contact all owners - including those who don't currently use the Skoda dealer network for servicing.)

Yes - I was tempted to ignore the issue but only tempted - have decided to get it done if only for warranty reasons

With a year old car and 2 years Warranty i would have it done, and demand an extended Warranty,

or at least a Written Guarantee of Good Will repairs on the Gearbox.

That is if 1 year old cars are part of the 'DSG Service Campaign'.

The difference with Cars out of the Original 3 year Manufacturers Warranty is,

Skoda/VW are going to have to get on with the Arrangements they are going to come to.

That needs to be Contacting Owners not visiting Skoda/VW Dealerships for Annual or Variable Services,

& that they are Guaranteeing the Work & providing a Warranty on the DSG which they have now known 

could be problematic for the life of the box so far.

Honesty seems not to be a trait from the Volkswagen Group.

Skoda work with VOSA to determine if it is a safety related issue.

If it is deemed to be safety related then Skoda will be forced to make efforts to contact owners.

However, this appears to not be a recall, and is instead a simple service campaign. Here the work is carried out when the car is next at the dealers.

This process isn't unique to Skoda or VAG, it's standard practice across the industry with all manufacturers.

If you choose not to have your vehicle serviced at a main dealer then that's fine, but don't complain when Skoda don't chase you to have the work done. 

• Like 1

I think you know that is nonsense.

The EU Free Market allows people to use non Manufacturer Garages.

The EU Law & the UK Law will require them to provide a safe vehicle, and of merchantable quality,

fit for purpose.

Corporate Responsibility will kick in if there are any Fatalities or serious Accidents,

as the Australian one was.

They will be required soon enough to contact all owners of the vehicles that could be effected.

I bet if its one of your vehicles you will be quick enough to kick off.

It is not chasing,

it is doing the right thing, the truthful and honest thing.

Skoda/VW will be required to get Registered Keepers contact address from the DVLA.

The attempt at a 'Silent Campaign' that the VW Australia boss was saying sorry for surely is as relevant in the UK.

• Like 1

George - my car is May 2013 - I bought it when it was on the boat so the build week at a guess was no later than April 2013

I will get the work done because, as you say, with 2 years warranty to run I can't risk not getting it done.

But the question is - why on earth were Skoda still using synthetic oil in the DSG 7 as late as April 2013 when they had known about this problem for a long time?

I know they claim that there have been no issues in temperate climates such as the UK but why on earth did they not play it safe and switch to mineral for global production as soon as the problem was diagnosed?

Are they still using synthetic? If they have switched to mineral, when did that happen?

What are the advantages of synthetic vs mineral ? Will the switch to mineral have any negative impacts?

Will mineral oil have a more limited shelf - life and need regular servicing changes? Will that be reflected in more expensive servicing costs in the future?

Questions that Skoda need to answer

Rawcpoppa - thanks very much - very useful info - explains the pattern of cars needing replacement oil and those that don't

And the explanation of why some need/ have mechatronic replaced and others ( mine) don't

Rawcpoppa - do you have info as to a service schedule for mineral oil replacement ? - Will VAG will have to change service schedules to include changes to the mineral oil if it has a shorter shelf- life than fully synthetic?( or is the shelf - life the same?) Will ask my tech this when mine gets done in 2 weeks to see what Skoda UK are saying

I think you know that is nonsense.

The EU Free Market allows people to use non Manufacturer Garages.

The EU Law & the UK Law will require them to provide a safe vehicle, and of merchantable quality,

fit for purpose.

Corporate Responsibility will kick in if there are any Fatalities or serious Accidents,

as the Australian one was.

They will be required soon enough to contact all owners of the vehicles that could be effected.

I bet if its one of your vehicles you will be quick enough to kick off.

It is not chasing,

it is doing the right thing, the truthful and honest thing.

Skoda/VW will be required to get Registered Keepers contact address from the DVLA.

The attempt at a 'Silent Campaign' that the VW Australia boss was saying sorry for surely is as relevant in the UK.

It's clearly not nonsense as it is fact.

As I thought I'd already made clear, if it is an official VOSA enforced recall then Skoda will have to follow set procedures to demonstrate that they have made efforts to contact customers (DVLA, newspaper adverts, dealer bulletins etc.).

VOSA only insist on recalling vehicles if the fault can be attributed as a safety issue.

This has been determined not to be safety related, for reasons already provided in this thread - therefore there is no recall.

Instead Skoda implement a service campaign. This is purely voluntary. The rights and wrongs of this can be discussed until the cows come home, but this is how it is.

When your car is processed through a Skoda main dealer the vehicle is automatically checked against outstanding campaigns. If anything is flagged up the work is done.

If you chose not to use a franchised main dealer then the owner won't be alerted, quite simple.

The whole debate about having a car serviced outside of the dealer network and still being able to maintain the manufacturers warranty is completely unrelated here.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Rawcpoppa - do you have info as to a service schedule for mineral oil replacement ? - Will VAG will have to change service schedules to include changes to the mineral oil if it has a shorter shelf- life than fully synthetic?( or is the shelf - life the same?) Will ask my tech this when mine gets done in 2 weeks to see what Skoda UK are saying

From what I have seen so far they still say the mineral oil doesn't need changing "for life". My car came with mineral oil and I was told by my dealer there is no change interval.

The discussion of what "for life" really means and if it is worth following is up for debate as well. I intend to follow the for life instructions and only change it when the clutches have to be changed but there are several owners in other countries like Singapore and Malaysia that seem to be changing theirs on their own interval.

• Like 2

If a vehicle is filled with a product that will eventually kill it by the manufacturer it's their responsibility to chase the vehicle down and inform the owner ! , the gearbox is filled for life sealed unit so its a fault in manufacturing surely ? , it should be a official recall and it makes vosa toothless , will these gearbox fail if the oil is not changed ? But the potential for a calamity is there , what I don't understand is why have some countries had a "sort " of recall and had a full gearbox change due to the wrong oil being used and some are just getting a "quickie" oil change , surely it should be a new gearbox for all car which had the wrong oil?

• Like 1

VW Group 'Convinced DfT & VOSA that a Recall is not necessary because it is not Safety Critical'

Well we will see what the Department for Transport & VOSA say if VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi do a Service Campaign 

or as it an attempt at a 'Silent Service Campaign'.

Because in the likes of New Zealand they are doing the Repair on all the Vehicles Sold/Registered that require the work,

not only ones that Skoda Dealership know of or see because they Service them.

The VW Group might not have to look for who to contact from the DVLA Database by just publicising the 

'Service Campaign' & Listing the Series of Vehicles to be Inspected & Repaired.

It will be interesting to know about the Vehicles that DfT & VOSA run from the Volkswagen Group 

and if they are left to find out sometime via a Dealership if any need Inspected & Repaired.

Having the right to have your vehicle Serviced Outwith the VW Group of Franchised Dealerships

is highly unlikely in the UK to mean that there are allowed to be 2 classes of owners,

those made aware of possible faults that could mean your vehicle loosing drive without warning 

getting the vehicles Inspected and repaired,

&

Owners that are left in the dark and with vehicles that the VW Group Convinced a 

UK Government Department & an Executive Agency were not going to have 'Safety Critical Issues'.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK