Fabia Recall

If a vehicle is filled with a product that will eventually kill it by the manufacturer it's their responsibility to chase the vehicle down and inform the owner ! , the gearbox is filled for life sealed unit so its a fault in manufacturing surely ? , it should be a official recall and it makes vosa toothless.

VOSA are only interested if the issue is safety related. This isn't.

How long is a gearbox designed to last, what do you determine to be life long?

If the design life of the gearbox is 150,000 miles and the oil allows it to last to 150,000 miles then the oil is indeed 'life long'.

• Like 1

Incidentally, my Octavia vRS was called-in for an official VOSA recall to my local Skoda main dealer.

They changed the injectors after reports of failures that led to engines instantly cutting out.

My car was never the same again, to the point I was forced to sell it.

Just showing the other side of the coin. Not being aware of the campaign might be a blessing in disguise.

Don't get all hot and bothered, it's an oil change. If your car is affected and you want it done then do it, if you don't then don't.

Think yourself lucky that Skoda are offering to change it FOC, after all they aren't forced too.

Edited by silver1011

VOSA are only interested if the issue is safety related. This isn't.

How long is a gearbox designed to last, what do you determine to be life long?

If the design life of the gearbox is 150,000 miles and the oil allows it to last to 150,000 miles then the oil is indeed 'life long'.

If this was happening in the USA, then cars would be recalled .Full stop!

Shame that we have to learn from the USA, about Customers rights and not be beaten up by big business interests.

They don't put up with that crap!

• Like 2

silver1011,

I think you have not looked at why the Recalls or 'Service Campaigns' are being carried out World Wide & thats now reached the UK.

It is an Oil Change from Synthetic to Mineral here and ECU update here, as far as we know so far,

others have had a Mechatronics Control Unit Replaced after Inspection, thats a £1000 plus item.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

But as long as your vehicles are not effected thats good.

I remember you posting recently on the lack of information on Skoda Dealership Servicing and the costs.

So lets hope your newly found trust and big ups for the VAG people is well founded.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/death-prompts-vw-owners-to-speak-out-20130530-2nexi.html

I'm not defending Skoda UK, I'd argue that with my vRS I've been 'wronged' more than most.

The point I'm making is that Skoda are not legally obliged to replace the oil. If the box fails within warranty then you are covered, if it's out of warranty then you will be relying on goodwill. There was a suggestion made earlier that having the oil replaced might not be a good thing.

I'd argue that given that some owners are being offered fresh oil for free then I'd grab it with both hands.

• Like 2

Why can't Skoda put a very clear note on their Website "NEWS" SECTION. Help clarify any Customer /owners concerns. Simples!!

Or perhaps those concerned raise a Case via the "Contact" via E-mails section,asking for this as a simple helpful request!

That will soon **** off Customer Service Team and then Mr Stewart might just act in the Customer interest for a change!!

• Like 1

It is not a Fabia vRS 'Service Campaign' as far as i can see, it is a DQ200 DSG issue it would appear,

Only vRS Owners seem to have posted on the subject here,

As to the Legal Side and the Corporate Responsibilities of the VW Group & their Gearboxes and possible failures,

until the VW Group make some Announcement on if they are Concerns  about their Safety & Satisfaction of Customers,

or

possibly Legal Implications to them, and even just Share Prices and Reputation,

we will not know.

They might have decided that a 'Service Campaign' is going to be less costly than a few Hundred DSG full Failures,

& even 1 Fatality, and the Manslaughter Charges that could come from that.

Oil for free in a Gearbox that does not have an Oil Change Schedule is hardly the issue.

An open and Honest Explanation will be good,

& extended warranties on the gearboxes that other World Regions forced upon them will probably be enough.

OIL FOR FREE WILL BE AT THEIR EXPENSE AS IS THE LABOUR CHARGE TO HAVE THE OIL, ECU UPDATE DONE.

IT WILL NOT MEAN A CUSTOMER HAVING TO PAY THAT DEALER FOR WORK THEY DO NOT WANT DOING BY THEM.

ie, IF THE GEARBOX NEEDS OIL CHANGED BECAUSE VW BUILT GEARBOXES THAT CAN FAIL WITH THE OIL THEY USED AT THE TIME OF THE BUILD,

THEN THAT IS A MANUFACTURING FAULT AND A MATTER THEY KNEW ABOUT WHILE SELL ING THE CARS, AND WHILE THE CARS WHERE IN THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY, THEY ALREADY KNEW.

They are paying over £4,000 a time on quite a high percentage of the 1,800 vRS 1.4 TSI CAVE engine cars in the UK,

and they have never give any public statement on that.

They like to Say Nothing, and commit to very little.

Some are now taking Legal Actions on Various untruths told to them by 'Customer Services' regarding Warranty Issues,

Time will tell what VW/Skoda/Audi/Seat need to do in the UK.  

Admitting to Design, Manufacturing, & Quality Control issues would be a start.

• Like 1

George,

One thing we should have learned over the CAVE ENGINE fiasco, is that we get nowhere as selfish individuals. ( VAG loved the divide and rule approach - and it has worked for them for  may be 3 out of the 4 years of complaining by customer /owners)

It needs pressure from an informed / affected concerned group , and a start would be in numbers clogging up their Customer Services Dept on this issue!

Takes 5 minutes to raise the Case on the website - might just be worth a try, then the dealers don't get all the ear ache from disgruntled owners. 

• Like 1

We don't know for a fact that VW was selling cars with boxes with synthetic oil in even though they were aware this could lead to failures (in Europe). It takes some solid facts and info to support that otherwise it's pure speculation. The fact they had issued recalls on hot regions already doesn't automatically make this a rule for the entire world. Same cars are built to different specs according to different conditions as we know. I would think it is rather more probable that areas supposed to be "safe" started having related issues or newer studies from themselves showed there could be a problem everywhere.

In the first case we would be talking about deliberate effort to cover a known fact while in the second, it would rather be a poor design. None of them is nice for the end customer of course. I would however be willing to forgive a company that at some point realized a design/manufacturing fault but took corrective action against it. I wouldn't trust again a company that was proven to be fully aware of an issue and just decided to ignore it.

Not VW's advocate by any means, and may not buy another car of the group again but still, I would like to know this for a fact before I start accusing someone for such a conspiracy.

• Like 1

I am inclined to think it was a design issue that they weren't sure about.

Would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall while they researched this issue. If one looks thru tpis in Elsa it seems like they fixed all the other smaller issues relatively quickly and even if they didn't have a fix they at least acknowledged an issue but left instructions for dealers stating that they they were working on a fix.

• Like 2

Don't see how this isn't a safety issue. My vrs (nov 2011) was binned exactly because it lost drive at 80, in an overtaking situation, in heavy traffic. I'm sorry but there isn't anyone who could convince me that my life wasn't at risk at that time.

Skoda evidently agreed with me (following a great deal of arguing of course) after coughing up a contribution of more than £2.5k to put me in something non-DSG.

Skoda's public attitude toward dealing with its failures was, and continues to be disgraceful.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM447515/RCMN-13V568-9034.pdf

1st page:

eny5y5ah.jpg

Interesting how recall info is stated from country to country. In the US they clearly state that there is increased risk of a crash and label the recall a safety recall for essentially the same issue affecting gearboxes in other countries.

George,

One thing we should have learned over the CAVE ENGINE fiasco, is that we get nowhere as selfish individuals. ( VAG loved the divide and rule approach - and it has worked for them for  may be 3 out of the 4 years of complaining by customer /owners)

It needs pressure from an informed / affected concerned group , and a start would be in numbers clogging up their Customer Services Dept on this issue!

Takes 5 minutes to raise the Case on the website - might just be worth a try, then the dealers don't get all the ear ache from disgruntled owners. 

Then lets get organised and CONTACT Skoda Customer Services by their email system as suggested above! Monday morning a system overload!

Did mine last night

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Perhaps the follow up to the above should be, that those people on this thread that have experienced a DSG malfunction and considered it  risk to themselves and other should email VOSA WITH THEIR DETAIL.

My guess is that the Manufacturer has bull****ted VOSA by saying we have had NO Customer " near misses" reported on their system.

Lesson for us I GUESS is, if the car even farts unexpectedly, then report it to the Manufacturer otherwise they say we have no knowledge of Customer Problems. 

Perhaps a "NEAR MISS" report sheet filled in at the dealers in future might assist here, as normally it's verbal.

• Like 1

One thing we know about what VW know is the 'Service Campaign' was required in New Zealand while VW said it was not required in Europe.

New Zealand is wonderful with varied weather,

a bit like some of Scotland and the UK, & Europe.

About -10*oC as a low in Winter,

*& 20- 30*oC highs in the Summer, and quite wet at times,

I do not know for sure that the NZ Skodas are built in Europe,

but it the Australian ones are.

June 2013

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

So few vehicles listed, which is why they did the right thing PDQ.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall

June 2013

Nov 2013

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/84572/volkswagen-recall-25-million-cars-affected

"Meeting VOSA to finalise the details",

or more like to 'Convince them they had it in hand",

After all according to Dealers,  "They All Do that",  "There is nothing wrong"

ie, NO COMPLAINTS OR REPORTS SENT TO, VW, SKODA, AUDI. SEAT.

Like now with 'OIl Consumption',,  Good Will Gesture'.  

then TOM CHADWICK or DAN WILSON of SKODA UK CUSTOMER SERVICES,

can say,

Blown out of proportion on the internet.

**WHAT DETAILS DID SKODA UK FINALISE WITH VOSA,

THE SAME AS VW, WHO DO IT ONE WAY,???** AND SKODA DO IT DIFFERENT?

VW HAVE INFORMATION RELEASED, PRESS RELEASES AND ON VW FAQ SITES!

http://news.sky.com/story/1168639/vw-recalls-2-6m-cars-world-wide-over-faults

Did VW-SEAT-SKODA-AUDI Confince VOSA-DfT that the Service Campaign would include sending out Letters & Dealerships Contacting 'CUSTOMERS - owners?

THE SEAT CEO says that CUSTOMERS (Owners) will receive Letters, Advice, Calls.

• Like 1

Then lets get organised and CONTACT Skoda Customer Services by their email system as suggested above! Monday morning a system overload!

Did mine last night

PM me, if you are planning to join in .

Thanks

Keith

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM447515/RCMN-13V568-9034.pdf

1st page:

eny5y5ah.jpg

Interesting how recall info is stated from country to country. In the US they clearly state that there is increased risk of a crash and label the recall a safety recall for essentially the same issue affecting gearboxes in other countries.

This is very interesting. The momentary loss in power that I experienced whilst driving last week doesn't seem to be explained by this description and was probably due to another cause. However, when you are in an overtaking situation and you loose power for even a couple of seconds it can be very dangerous. I will ask for the gearbox oil change at my next service as a precaution.

This is very interesting. The momentary loss in power that I experienced whilst driving last week doesn't seem to be explained by this description and was probably due to another cause. However, when you are in an overtaking situation and you loose power for even a couple of seconds it can be very dangerous. I will ask for the gearbox oil change at my next service as a precaution.

Big Sheep,

Are you still contacting Skoda UK Customer Services about your "near miss"

we are annonymouse, we do not forget, we do not forgive, expect us.

Been reading this thread with interest, IIRC, did you not have a similar issue as the one in post #60. just a one off in your old vRS?

On a side note, hope you're well, I've not been on here for a while due to work and have a lot to catch up on! :-)

• Like 1

Have emailed Skoda customer services yesterday with a fairly down to earth email politely suggesting that a lot more information needs to be provided directly to owners and to the press.

• Like 3

If I have one piece of advice it is don't waste your breath complaining to Skoda UK.

The only reason the injector recall on all VAG PD170 engines became an official recall was because VOSA stepped in and forced Skoda UK's hand.

When I spoke to VOSA I got to speak to a very professional gentleman who had a clear interest in my issues and explained to me exactly what they needed from me to be able to help. A polar opposite to Skoda UK's customer services who's first response was to deny there were any issues with the injectors.

It Skoda receive 10 emails as a direct result of this thread, I can guarantee you'll get the brush-off.

If VOSA (now called DVSA by the way) get 10 emails / calls they will investigate the issue.

[email protected]

• Like 1

We have members that got Communications Direct to 

ALASDAIR STEWART BRAND DIRECTOR SKODA UK,

on 

the Skoda UK Customer Services Treatment of Customers with Failing 1.4TSI CAVE & CTHE Engines.

Being mislead and in some cases lied to.

That was at Skoda Franchised Dealerships & Skoda UK Customer Services call handlers 

and even the Official Skoda Handler that took their case on.

The likes of TOM CHADWICK & DAN WILSON from SKODA UK were put on the case within 24 hours.

Matters that had been dragging on for weeks were resolved within a week.

So yes VOSA, DfT and the UK Government Minister responsible should be contacted.

But this time Skoda UK might feel the power of the Internet.

Lets see how they deal with things this week.

If the Motoring Media are going to be doing the job they should for Motorists & the Public,

and forget about sucking in what 

Volkswagen Group Spokespeople and Spin Doctors feed them.

These magazine Editors need to 'Grow Some', 

obviously it is biting the Hand That Feeds them, Their Advertising Income and Road Test Vehicles etc.

But if they can not Respect the Car Buying Public, 

then the Publishing Industry Including Car Magazines really is as biased as many think they are.

george

Been reading this thread with interest, IIRC, did you not have a similar issue as the one in post #60. just a one off in your old vRS?

On a side note, hope you're well, I've not been on here for a while due to work and have a lot to catch up on! :-)

Hi Milge :) yes I am well thanks, 21,000 faultless miles in th enew one so far :) just done the castle coomb spring action day, where it performed very well :)

yes my old one, failed to select a gear (once in 50k) , well, it didnt fail, it slipped the clutch, and there was limited drive.... after pulling over and "turning it off and on again" it went away and never came back... however there were no warning lights, and no loss of power to mechatronics, so it wasn't the fault that could occur listed above! I suppose it could have been a partical of corrosion getting physically in the way of the mechatronics that time, and going off to float aoround in th eoil after ..... dunno! lol...

I will probably let them complete this oil change at the next service, OR if they write to me and ask me in.... I was going to do an oil change and clutch pack replacement at 100k in this car... a free oil change cant hurt things I suppose AS LONG as they do it right! lol..

• Like 2