Boot Lip Protection

Hi all,

Something I thought about today was has anyone put any sort of protection on the boot lip of a MK3 VRS?

I mean the flat section of the rear bumper at the bottom of the boot lid. It would make a useful loading 'shelf' I guess, but obviously I don't want to damage the paint! I have found this on Super Skoda but wondered what you guys have done:

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-Combi-RS-original-Skoda-rear-bumper-protective-panel-GLOSSY-BLACK

I guess the other option is some form of clear sticky back plastic but to shape.

Thanks,

Matt

Skoda did a clear sticky film for the mkII, I had one on mine and it was really good and almost invisible. No sing of one for the mkIII though

I've got the black glossy strip on my vRS Combi and it looks really nice when new but unfortunately the gloss is easily scratched, especially by two unruly Greyhounds.

So I guess I should have bought a protector to, err, protect my protector!

There is not too much difference between dealer OEM and superskoda prices.

Link below gives part no. in accessories brochure:

http://www.skoda.lv/files/accessories/octavia.pdf

According to dealer in Germany they do not do clear version anymore because most people do not fit them until after they have scratched bumper and realise they need them - obviously scratches can't be hidden under the clear version.

Just bought the rearguards.co.uk bumper guards for both my Octavia and Yeti. Had them on previous cars and they protect the bumper from my Great Dane fine.

Another recommendation for Rearguards.

Cheaper than Skoda's own, plus comes with a decent lip.  Different finishes available.  3M tape to secure.  Excellent customer service in my experience.  They also tell me that they will produce door sill protectors . . . eventually.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271376484677

This one works ok for the hatch. Here is the one for the Estate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lackschutzfolie-Ladekantenschutz-transparent-Skoda-Octavia-3-Kombi-Bj-ab-13-/271470557593?pt=Autopflege_Wartung&hash=item3f34e7f999

Easy to fit with some warm soapy water.

Edited by banksie

Interesting, thanks for all your replies.

It looks to me like the Skoda, Superskoda and Rear guards are all very similar things with not much between them in price either. I think I shall invest in one to protect my paintwork anyway.

Matt

I second this - I have this clear film protector on my VRS estate - works a treat.

Photos here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsjNPfd7S

That looks like a good idea too. I will have a look on eBay and see if there is a clear one then. Farsider - did you use the same one as Banksie?

Yeah I have the one in the link for the estate. Its basically a bit of sticky back plastic cut to fit. Installed using the soapy water method - does the trick.

Can't for wrong for £6.

• Like 1

Having a look at the clear film option.

The estate version on eBay as recommended by Banksie says not suitable for the VRS version. I get the the bumpers are different between the VRS and non, but is there much difference to the shape of the boot lip? I suppose at about £10 I could just buy one and find out!

Can anyone show me a photo of the gloss black protector on a race blue bumper ? Is the gloss black the same as the black pack parts ( roof rails, grill etc ) ?

It's gloss black like the roof rails, not the grille and mirrors of the black pack as they're black magic, the roof rails are piano black.

Can anyone show me a photo of the gloss black protector on a race blue bumper ? Is the gloss black the same as the black pack parts ( roof rails, grill etc ) ?

I am very interested in seeing this too - I am in two minds to go for a clear protector or one of the black / carbon fibre ones

I'm thinking of going to see RGM as they are just up the road from me to see them before I buy..Like the Carbon Fibre look, but would like to see how they all look before I part with any money.

I've seen an RGM carbon fibre look protector on the Vanstyle van. It does look quite good. I planned on having a silver one to go with my silver octy but it looks a bit cheap. I'll probably go for the black one but I think it might look odd.

I have just put one of these RGM bumper protectors on my FL Yeti as when we went shopping within a few days of picking up it was noticable how deep this was & the risk of scratching was quite high.

As i have the outdoor Yeti, the rear bumpers have the plastic bumper protection that sweeps under the car, so I bought & fitted a plain mat black which matches so am quite pleased with the result.

The protection on the Octy does not look out of place.