These low rolling resistance tyres

Are these Continentals that are fitted to my new Greenline the sole reason for the car seemingly rolling much much further than when slowing down towards traffic lights/roundabouts etc than I'm used to, or am I just imagining it?

I always try and anticipate what lies ahead and ease off the gas accordingly, but I'm now finding that i feel as though I'm CHARGING up to said lights etc like a rampaging bull and having to brake as a result.

Don't like braking, and no, the brakes on my Fabia... (running on Michelin Pilots)... were not binding. 

Almost feel as though I'm being shoved along by an invisible force. Most weird.  :think:

Not complaining btw as this probably helping the low consumption figures if I'm not imagining all this.

Bloody marvelous, and marvelousnusnus just keeps on coming more and more every day.

Dead chuffed I am.  :sun:

Edited by Mr Ree

Funny enough I have had a Seat Toledo as a loan car for the last 3 weeks, a 1.6TDi Ecomotive fitted with low rolling resistant tyres, and I did get the same impression,.... take you foot off the accelerator and it just keeps going, not sure what make they were though.

Stu

Had the same with Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres. The old worn Pirelli's made the car almost nosedive when I lifted off, after I changed to GYEGP it just keeps on going.

I'm sure you sacrifice a bit of grip, but in my mind when you use some caution they are excellent.

The greenline variants also have longer gearing than the standard counterparts. My dads Fabia has to be kept in 3rd around town as in 4th its labouring the engine. 4th is ok for 40+.

Might be dependent on how low your revs go because the Superb (like a lot of modern cars) has an anti-stalling mechanism.  When it kicks in, it produces the exact symptoms you describe in your original post.

I tend to dip the clutch when coming up to lights rather than go down through the gears once I'm down to say 30'ish, so no engine braking.

I always thought 'low rolling  resistance' tyres were just a bit of wishful thinking tbh.

I find the exact same - ease off thinking the car will slow down of its own accord by the time I get to the slow traffic etc , but the car just seems to roll so effortlessly. End up having to stamp on the brakes at the last minute as a result!

Are these Continentals that are fitted to my new Greenline the sole reason for the car seemingly rolling much much further than when slowing down towards traffic lights/roundabouts etc than I'm used to, or am I just imagining it?

I always try and anticipate what lies ahead and ease off the gas accordingly, but I'm now finding that i feel as though I'm CHARGING up to said lights etc like a rampaging bull and having to brake as a result.

Don't like braking, and no, the brakes on my Fabia... (running on Michelin Pilots)... were not binding. 

Almost feel as though I'm being shoved along by an invisible force. Most weird.  :think:

I have the same feeling every spring, after I've changed from winter tires (Michelin Alpin A4) to my summer tires (Michelin Energy Saver). The summer tires have a much lower rolling resistance, so the car keeps rolling much longer.

Just get used to it and ease off the gas earlier. I do that, and it saves my lots of fuel. :happy:

Well I think I can now quite categorically confirm that these tyres REALLY do let you roll without as much resistance far far further than your standard ones.

Just been for a walk and to introduce Superb to it's virtual 2nd home, and as I've done on hundreds of occasions, I cruise back down the road for 2 miles in neutral...naughty I know, but I'm a rebel.

Anyway, both in my previous van and the Fabia, there is a point half way down where I've ALWAYS had to put it in gear to get it over a flat bit followed by a slight incline.

Did it in the Superb this afternoon, and I had to BRAKE I was going that fast!!  :o