Superb Estate 1.4

Hi all - thinking I can get a new Superb Estate 1.4 for less than a 1.4 Octavia Estate, by the looks of it?

I'm mid 40's with two kids and a dog. Intend to do more fishing (outboard motor, fuel tank & fishing gear) and golf (clubs etc) this year, so thought it would have bags of space for everything.

Is the 1.4 big enough for such a large car? I'm not looking to win races, just want to know that I won't be struggling to shift it with any speed!

Only an S spec in the 1.4, but this doesn't bother me really - would maybe spec 17's as standards maybe look a bit small. Sunset glass a good idea for kids and dog, as would rear airbags be. Towbar for my small boat probably wise as well.

Would value any thoughts from Superb Estate owners on engine or spec etc - many thanks :)

That's a very good question, and my thoughts would be no.

The 1.4 TSI engine is great in the Octavia, but the Superb is more than 200kg heavier and by the looks of things, we will be using it's capacity quite a bit.

Diesel engines are great for either MPG if you do stella miles OR serious lugging grunt if you haul a fair load.

I think that even a base spec 1.6 Greenline TDI would be better if you could stretch to it.

My apologies - I neglected to point out that I live in Orkney. That's the first group of islands off the North coast of Scotland. Only got off the island once last summer and would probably only do around 4000 miles each year! I suspect diesels would run into problems due to the low mileage and shorter runs - I know Vauxhall garage up here don't even want to sell anyone a diesel given the problems with dpf clogging etc

Having had the 122ps 1.4 in my octy 2 I would recommend you have a decent test drive in the superb 'loaded up' with your family to see if it fits your needs and driving style. As far as the 2 cars are concerned I don't think there's much different between the boots in terms of size - my mk2 hatch will take 2 powakaddy trollies plus 2 ping cart bags with full sets of clubs easily. The big difference is legroom in the back IIRC. There's £1500 off the superb at the mo with 0% interest too so you might want to try a diesel too to see if will fit the bill. I know someone with a greenline hatch thingy and hes well impressed.

I've not looked the specs up but the s in the superb will now doubt be higher than the s in the octy, so wouldn't get too wrapped up in model names

good luck.

The 1.4 would be ideal in my opinion. The cost savings shouldn't be ignored - initial purchase and every time you refuel with cheaper fuel compared to the diesel option. Performance wise, its more than adequate to haul the kit you mention and from how you describe your driving style I'd also suggest 0-60 in a tad over 10 seconds would be suitable. :)

Fair points. I did have the 1.4 in my 61 plate Octavia - I thought it was slightly slow, although I had traded from a petrol vRS so that was inevitable! Would be good to get a drive sorted, but unsure if it'll be possible in the next while...

My apologies - I neglected to point out that I live in Orkney. That's the first group of islands off the North coast of Scotland. Only got off the island once last summer and would probably only do around 4000 miles each year! I suspect diesels would run into problems due to the low mileage and shorter runs - I know Vauxhall garage up here don't even want to sell anyone a diesel given the problems with dpf clogging etc

Sorry missed this last post- I'd tend to agree with you there regarding the diesel. The annual mileage isn't the problem it's the typical journeys you do that can cause potential DPF issues, though just because Vauxhall have problems it doesn't follow on that Skoda would do too, but it's something to be wary of. It's the repeated short journeys that are DPF killers because the ECU wants to perform a regen and because journeys are too short it keeps failing to complete them, so you end up with it trying every time it gets up to temperature until the DPF light eventually comes on. So if that's your typical journey and you don't do some long trips to give it chance to do it's stuff the petrol would probably be the best option. Beings you're nearly at the top of the world the petrol would heat up quicker in winter too :happy:

Don't forget the extras will be worth not a lot come trade in. Now 'we've' rulled out the devils fuel maybe an idea to try both the 1.4 and 1.8 not forgetting the 1.8 will be the SE? So better spec'd anyway. If you then decided the 1.8 was your 1st choice maybe a low milage demo would then be in budget?..... decisions, decisions......

The 1.4 is a cracking engine. Given the information already provided I reckon it will be perfect for you.

Rather than spend more on a bigger engine I'd be tempted instead to up it one notch from the base spec 'S'.

I would second Silver 1011. I have owned a 1.4S twin door for 18 months (it was 2.5 years old when bought). I came from a diesel. This engine is great. Very quiet - my skids has been mistaken for an electric. It is lively and plenty of power for the car. Normal fuel is 40-45mpg. We have done a south of France trip with four bikes on roof and fully laden. No problem with engine other than fuel dropped to 32 mpg.

Many thanks for the input so far!

Fair point regarding the options, but since there's 0% on the pcp atm and a 1500 quid bonus (plus around 6-7% off list as a discount) then a 1.4S plus a couple of extras like sunset glass for the kids / dog plus rear airbags for the kids. Maybe the 17's and silver rails and a towbar and that'd be about it I think?...

I would probably agree, but saw one yesterday and the first thing I thought was "crikey, those small wheels look sh*te!" ;)

Made all the worse coz they're attached to a massive car

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Bought my Superb 1.4TSi at 10 months old / 14100 miles in November 2012. Now done nearly 20,000 miles and have no regrets whatsoever. !.4Tsi has so much torque you would sometimes think you were driving a diesel. It also has given an average of 45.6 mpg over the 18 months I've had it. Furthermore, it is so quiet.

I would happily commend a Superb 1.4 to just about anyone.

I've a 1.4 Superb Combi and although I've never really filled it to the max with stuff it does lugg stuff about very easily and effortlessly. Even though it is only an S spec it is already well equiped with the vast majority of stuff you'll ever need. The engine sometimes needs a little more 'pep' on long up hill stretches but to be truly honest I can't fault her anywhere at all over the last 13 months of ownership she keeps up with the big boy on the motorways easily and agile on sweeping country roads.

Hi all

I am also looking at the 1.4 estate, but have the same concerns. 45.6 real world mpg sounds great! I really dislike diesel but want economy so a good option for me.

Trying to test drive one before ordering but no dealer seems to have one, and none at all in classifieds!

Many thanks for your comments - much appreciated and very good to hear!

Mrwilby - maybe you could get a nearby member from here to assist with your quest? Just a thought :)

I opted for the S spec as it has everything I wanted and couldn't justify the extra for the SE, especially as its the family bus that will get wrecked ocer the next 10 years. As for sunset glass I got a local firm to do it for £140 which was much less than having it as an option.

Rossdook - not a bad idea!

Wizzmed - is yours the 1.4? How do you find the performance and economy?

I was also thinking of the S spec, the price is the same as a 1.2 octy SE so good value , it just seems a bit of a ghost model with hardly any in the real world. I might have to buy one blind.....