seaweasel's Fabia 2.0 MPI

seaweasel

So it's more of a working daily driver with various bits and pieces to do rather than a proper project car, but I think there's enough work to do that merits a thread!

Keep meaning to take some photos but will stick them up when I get round to it. 2003 Elegance spec with the old Golf GTI engine, has about 95k on it. Got it for a decent price as it's ex-police, but there were (are) a few things to sort out because of this. Drives fine and isn't in bad condition but I'd like to get it back to as optimal a state as my limited time, resources (and occasional laziness) will allow.

So far I've done the following:

• Had fuel tank pump and coolant sensor replaced (neither fuel gauge or temp gauge were working)
  • Installed my Pioneer HU from my last car (USB/Bluetooth/AUX only with mic routed to sit below dash)
  • Replaced aerial with new OEM one (had been removed with a bit of gaff to plug the hole, and they'd cut the socket off, ended up soldering and heat-shrinking the cables together, works fine now though)
  • Fitted replacement B-pillar trim (lower was missing and top half damaged) - realised I got the wrong colour from the breakers but will do for now and isn't too far out!
  • Replaced parcel shelf (again, more blue that black but will do)
  • Replaced storage tub under HU (was missing)
  • Polished headlights with 3M kit (second car I've got out of that kit, works well)
  • Replaced spare wheel/tyre (was from a 4-stud car with tyre sidewall cracked to hell!)

Still to do:

• Looks like one of the front wheel bearings is starting to go, will get that replaced soon hopefully
  • Wobbly gear knob will be fixed with a little screw I think (next job probably)
  • Cigarette lighter needs replaced (got a cheap eBay one that will need wired up somehow)
  • Purge control valve fault code needs looked into
  • Some throttle issues - unstable at idle and revving when changing gear (possibly pedal/MAF/air intake from forum suggestions, or combination of that and above?)
  • A bit hesitant to start sometimes, was going to get spark plugs looked at when it gets serviced next, think it's been maintained regularly enough but would like to get oil/filters changed in next few months as I didn't get any specific service history other than the timing belt had been done
  • Main left door speaker isn't working
  • AC needs recharged
  • Some seat stitching starting to fray
  • Could do with a spare key!
  • Front foglights could do with a clean out I think
  • Plastic trim (bumper/reg plate) needs brightened up
  • Have washed/polished not too long ago but needs a good clean and want to try and get some scuffs out (got myself a clay mitt, tar remover, Autoglym resin polish and need to spend an afternoon on it)
  • Wouldn't mind getting an OEM or decent boot liner, our Octavia came with the Skoda one and it's pretty good
  • Maybe some new headlight/foglight bulbs if I feel flush at any point, don't know if I'll bother with any LEDs for interior
  • Keep forgetting stuff for the list! Needs (well I'd like) new badges front and rear
  • All the vents need fixed/replaced, middle surround is currently out from when I was fitting my HU and haven't got round to putting it back
  • Forgot about my noisy driver door as well - bit of a breezy noise at higher speeds, just needs adjusted hopefully
  • Ach, also rear washer noozle not working
  • Forgot about cracked windscreen - right at the bottom nearside corner, not urgent but needs done

Paintwork isn't in perfect condition anyway (couple of deep scratches, quite a few stonechips on bonnet) but would be nice to get it looking decent. Plus the Octy needs a good wash/polish and tar removed too! Will hopefully get at least some of the above done this summer (a bunch of it will need done for MOT in Sep anyway).

The 2.0L Fabia is the Petrol Beast to own! haha the Infamous Mustang Slayer!

look forward to seeing some pictures :)

edit: Damn it Toxic! you beat me to it! :D

• Like 2

The 2.0L Fabia is the Petrol Beast to own! haha the Infamous Mustang Slayer!

look forward to seeing some pictures :)

edit: Damn it Toxic! you beat me to it! :D

I knew it was a matter of who would say it first haha.

Got any pictures of it mate?

Ha, I heard they'll leave a Porsche standing as well! :rock:

Given that quickest car I've had is our Octavia 1.6, it's powerful by my standards! It's good fun and practical enough though - MPG isn't brilliant but about the same as the Octavia and I mostly do short runs anyway.

Took a quick photo as it is at the moment:

Fabia

• Like 1

I reckon a remap could see you into standard vrs territory and beyond :)

Hadn't been thinking about remapping as I didn't think the NA petrol engines would get much out of it but if it's another 20hp or so? No tuning budget cleared by SWMBO but a remap is cheaper than a vRS!

A 2.0 Fabia project thread!  B)

Will keep an eye on this.

Don't expect any craziness like shoehorning an extra 8 valves or a turbo on, but will hopefully make some improvements!

Really like the colour, don't think I have seen it before on a Fabia.

Cheers, I like it too, kind of a teal? I wasn't fussed about what colour I ended up with as I was just looking for the cheapest Fabia in decent condition I could find, but I'm quite happy with the colour, it's unusual.

Hadn't been thinking about remapping as I didn't think the NA petrol engines would get much out of it but if it's another 20hp or so? No tuning budget cleared by SWMBO but a remap is cheaper than a vRS!

Be lucky to get 10bhp to be honest, but why increase what is already mustang slaying power? :D

Be lucky to get 10bhp to be honest, but why increase what is already mustang slaying power? :D

Yeah that's what I'd thought, will have try and get this thing running properly first. Not many Mustangs round here mind!

2.0 8v with a Mini Cooper s charger running 200bhp would be nice :)

A mate of mine did this and it was pretty awesome!

That does sound pretty awesome! Read about some guys in the states swapping the head to make it a 16v as well (Golfs presumably).

I've seen that Film...... :giggle:

Wasn't that Ron Jeremy in the pantry with his candlestick?

(Sorry for the massively inappropriate off topic thread high jack OP lol)

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

• Like 1

Wasn't that Ron Jeremy in the pantry with his candlestick?

(Sorry for the massively inappropriate off topic thread high jack OP lol)

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

You'll be glad to know in that case that I've successfully tightened my Fabia's wobbly knob.

• Like 2

A few years ago you could buy a pre made supercharger kit for these engines from neuspeed in the USA which replaced the entire intake manifold, quite a tidy little kit if I recall,

http://www.neuspeed.com/491094-neuspeed-20l-8v-supercharger-kit.html

I don't think they make them any more but they do turn up on the American ebay site from time to time.

• Like 2

Cheers, I like it too, kind of a teal? I wasn't fussed about what colour I ended up with as I was just looking for the cheapest Fabia in decent condition I could find, but I'm quite happy with the colour, it's unusual.

Admiral Blue if you need the name for a touch up or anything...

• Like 1

A few years ago you could buy a pre made supercharger kit for these engines from neuspeed in the USA which replaced the entire intake manifold, quite a tidy little kit if I recall,

http://www.neuspeed.com/491094-neuspeed-20l-8v-supercharger-kit.html

I don't think they make them any more but they do turn up on the American ebay site from time to time.

Q4bI5.gif

That would be sweet!

And thanks vrsrs and Lofty for the paint info, there's a couple of deep scratches on the NSR door so might try a touchup at some point.

• Like 1

Right, after the admirals, candlesticks and knobs, some repair related stuff. Used the useful rear washer troubleshooting guide someone on here put together (apologies, I've completely forgotten who it was and can't find the thread now to link to). Gave the little noozle a quick WD40 and probed with a pin in case of any blockage - didn't work. Checked under the NS rear door trim first - intact. So gave it another squirt and looked under the engine bay - saw a little puddle of fresh water and found the disconnected pipes at the engine bulkhead behind the air filer box:

Rear washer piping disconnected

Pushed them back together and, voila! Can now wash my rear window. Another job off the list.

Had a quick look at the filter while I was poking around, seems intact but a little grubby - time to replace yet? Want to get it serviced in the next few months anyway but at least that's one bit I can do myself if required.

Air filter

• Like 1

Car looks nice, we had one a few years back and it was a lovely car.

Recommend a sports suspension kit and a RARB then it will corner like its on rails.

• Like 1