Dog lovers, I need your help..

Since there seems to be a lot of dog owners on here, i thought id post this..on a car forum ha!

I recently landed the job of Dog Groomer, something ive always wanted to do and im dead chuffed.

The salon is newly built and is located within a hotel and spa resort, aptly named the 'Dog Spa' Although we do offer bath and grooms we also offer spa treatments like mud baths, blueberry facials, jacuzzi baths ect  

Now since it is newly built it obviously needs setting up and although i have been doing dog grooming all my life it has only been domestic so its a complete career change. Although we already have a pricing structure and treatments set up we are going to aim to cater for everyone.

Anyways just a few questions;

When you have taken your dog to a groomers (if you ever have) what have you had done and how much do you pay?

If you have never been to a dog groomers, why not? 

If you were going to go away for the weekend, if the hotel was permitting would you like to take your dog with you? 

If you were to take your dog with you, would you prefer him/her to be completely looked after or stay with you?

I have a show type cocker spaniel so his coat grows long very quickly, he goes to the groomer every 8 weeks or so to get his coat trimmed back down to a reasonable level.  He's never needed any more than that and as the groomer is someone I've known for a while so get a discounted rate, I wouldn't consider taking for any other grooming services as he doesn't need them and wouldn't like them.

If the area I was going to was suitable for the dog as in plenty of good walks round about to take him on, then yes would take him but if it was in a fairly built up area and there wasn't much for him then I wouldn't.

The dog has always stayed with me when on holiday, he's a very sociable little chap and gets frustrated if there's people around and not giving him enough attention so always concerned he's going to be very noisy when left with someone else.

When you have taken your dog to a groomers (if you ever have) what have you had done and how much do you pay?

They have never been.

If they get really muddy, they are happy to jump in the bath.

If you were going to go away for the weekend, if the hotel was permitting would you like to take your dog with you?

Yes, we regularly take the dogs away with us, only search for dog friendly places now.

If you were to take your dog with you, would you prefer him/her to be completely looked after or stay with you?

They normally stay with us, but that's because we have never been offered a "dog sitting" service.

We are located about 200 yards from a 4 mile beach and surrounded by miles of woodland..so much so i get no phone signal :/

I have different views as to how this Dog Spa has been set up, im a very self surfactant dog owner, i do everything for them and dont depend on anyone else to look after them (unless its a vet but even then its normally a last resort) But we do have people that just want a worry free holiday and leave their dog to fully cared for but at the same time offer reasonable prices

1, Not taken him

2, Too worried he'll hurt himself, his legs mainly (3 ops on them). He doesnt like water and fights it. I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point though I think.

3, Yes

4, Stay with me, I would have left him at home if I didnt want him with me. 

Edited by matt1chelski

Interesting!

When you have taken your dog to a groomers (if you ever have) what have you had done and how much do you pay? Never done it.

If you have never been to a dog groomers, why not? He's a pet, not a show dog. As a short haired lurcher he doesn't actually need it either; nearly 8 years old and never had a bath.

If you were going to go away for the weekend, if the hotel was permitting would you like to take your dog with you?  Yes

If you were to take your dog with you, would you prefer him/her to be completely looked after or stay with you?  Stay with us

We have a Jack Russell, 'nuff said!!  ;)

I'm totally not being rude here - and I'm making no judgement of others - just judging things on my own standards...

(Caveat over)

BUT Skoda owners - especially those on a forum - may not be the ideal audience to gather research from about (what sounds like) a very posh dog grooming set up. Because we're probably more practical, hands on folk than the typical posh dog spa kinda clientele.

I'm totally not being rude here - and I'm making no judgement of others - just judging things on my own standards...

(Caveat over)

BUT Skoda owners - especially those on a forum - may not be the ideal audience to gather research from about (what sounds like) a very posh dog grooming set up. Because we're probably more practical, hands on folk than the typical posh dog spa kinda clientele.

No i completely agree, i myself a previous Skoda owner, now a Renault owner am not a big fan of the whole pampered pooch scene, this is why i am asking the Skoda folk. I know a lot of people on here have dogs and you find (this is sheer observation) the average joe actually seem to have a better input compared to flash joe who doesnt really give a damn as long as his dog smells nice.

I want to cater to all clientèle as tbh money is money no matter where it comes from, so im not going to turn away anyone and just wanted to do a bit of research.

Yes i could of gone to a dog forum and i no doubt at some point will but these are a different breed of people, no comment needed they just are.

Briskoda people have to be positively 100% the nicest bunch i have ever known/spoken to on a forum ha!

I dont expect to get a huge response but something is better then nothing :)

Ignoring my recent unearthing of the kitty haters - I'd agree. Lots of folk on here gone out of their way to offer me great advice. Good luck with the new enterprise.

P.s. I really meant positive as opposed to warm in last post.

Edited by joncc

Since there seems to be a lot of dog owners on here, i thought id post this..on a car forum ha!

I recently landed the job of Dog Groomer, something ive always wanted to do and im dead chuffed.

The salon is newly built and is located within a hotel and spa resort, aptly named the 'Dog Spa' Although we do offer bath and grooms we also offer spa treatments like mud baths, blueberry facials, jacuzzi baths ect  

Now since it is newly built it obviously needs setting up and although i have been doing dog grooming all my life it has only been domestic so its a complete career change. Although we already have a pricing structure and treatments set up we are going to aim to cater for everyone.

1) He's furminated, washed, and has nails clipped (Lab cross). Think it's about £20 but we get a discount.

3) Yes.

4) Stay with us, though some kind of dogminding service might be handy too.

Its mainly intended for customers who wish to enjoy the spa, knowing their dog isnt ripping up the interior of the hotel! ha 

Ive always been fortunate in the fact my mother looks after my dogs when im away although it would be lovely to take them, all hotels ive been to have never been doggy friendly..why not..he's only an 8 stone long haired German Shepherd who doesnt like strangers..whatever could be the problem?! :D

I have a 3yr old working cocker spaniel. He goes to the groomers every 6 months or so as I prefer his coat when it has some length to it.

I pay £25 for a wash and cut, nails clipped, anal glands cleaned and a ear wash as mine is prone to ear infections.

Good luck with the business hope it's a success for you.

1.When you have taken your dog to a groomers (if you ever have) what have you had done and how much do you pay?

2.If you have never been to a dog groomers, why not? 

3.If you were going to go away for the weekend, if the hotel was permitting would you like to take your dog with you? 

4.If you were to take your dog with you, would you prefer him/her to be completely looked after or stay with you?

1. Never been

2. No need, wirehaired dogs, they need stripping ever year and we do that ourselves as they don't like having it done in one sitting. They never really get that mucky unless they roll in something nasty.

3, We would take the dogs with us if allowed.

4. Sta with us, but a dog minding service would be good, as there our still places that don't allow dogs.

German Shepherd - -general groom, shampoo ears and blands cleaned = £45

N/A

Yes, or we don’t go.

Stay with us, but have the option to leave with professionals in case we want to visit somewhere, where dogs are not allowed.

4 rescued greyhounds, never been to grooming, never seen the point, I was under the belief that dogs shouldn't have their natural oils washed from their fur in anycase. Have our own weekend retreat so hounds come along, if going away either they come or stay at home with family.

Having said that noticed the local Pets at Home had started a grooming spa service, nearly booked maggie in, just to see her with cucumber slices over her eyes :rofl:

My wife had her own dog grooming business so know a wee bit, here goes:

Price varies on dog size, ranging from 15 for small dogs to 35 for very large dogs (we have a newfoundland). That is for a cut, wash and dry.

N/A

We have and do, several hotel chains allow dogs for an extra fee per stay. We know ours is not destructive and completely house trained, she is also quiet at nights so i have no issues.

There does seem to be an upsurge in dog friendly hotels/accommodation, in my opinion if i was going away and took the dog then had someone look after her then she may as well be in kennels.

If you do have any other questions i can ask the wife, please dont hesitate to ask :)

• Like 1

2 opened near me a few years ago, and have since closed despite apparently being very well priced.  Good luck, but unless you're in a posh area with lots of kept women with hubbys cash to waste, I dont think it's a model for the average dog owner on a regular basis.

The only one I know of does animal rehabilitation following injury and is mostly geared towards Horses etc.

I wouldn't use a dog grooming place. My labxspringer if she rolls in sheeet as she likes to do I bath her in the river. I brush her with a rubber mit brush thingy. Treatments are not for dogs, clothes are not for dogs. They sometimes need their nails clipped or coats clipped but that is all.

All this dog grooming stuff seems a bit OTT maybe for brainwashed townies but not for country folks.

All this dog grooming stuff seems a bit OTT maybe for brainwashed townies but not for country folks.

I would say 85% of my wifes workload was lasso apso/****zu type dogs so would agree haha !!

we have taken the "thing" for a few washes ....toooooooooo big for our bath..they charge £20,,,,,,he loves a scrap with the wife

we have taken him to a dog friendly hotel and caravan and cottage but you are limited then as he soon gets tired he is a bit of a coach potato our fatlad

we went away last year for 11 days to Rhodes and we used animal angels who stop at your house it cost us about £500 ish just for animal angels that's where the money is dog / house sitting.

[url=http://s252.photobucket.com/user/lewis51067/media/bones001.jpg.html]

bones001.jpg

Edited by greatdane
  • Like 1