Is the Cabin Noisy i.e. wind Noise......?

SOULandPASSION

Heard the yeti has average refinement, is his true?

Understand the boxy shape probably doesn't help. Any tricks to lower the noise?

Do you notice a big difference between he diesels and the petrol engines?

Thanks! :)

Understand the boxy shape probably doesn't help. Any tricks to lower the noise?

Do you notice a big difference between he diesels and the petrol engines?

Thanks! :)

If your looking for an economical quiet motorway cruiser then look elsewhere IMO.

It's emphasis is one of adaptability and practicality with a high riding driving position but the downside is the coefficient of drag X area (CDA) means some wind noise and, combined with its weight, ordinary fuel economy.

It makes it a very personal choice of priorities.

• Like 1

I've never found the Yeti cabin noisy,and I've cruised long distances at motorway speeds.

The diesels are much noisier at idle and slower speeds.

Surprisingly I found my 1.6 Greenline noisier than the 2.0 170 tdi.

The one noise I do notice, on certain road surfaces,is tyre noise.

When I come to replace the tyres I'll choose ones with low noise ratings.

I've found no difference in the Facelift and the "looks" do grow on you. :giggle:

Yes that's true. The Yeti has a number of qualities but class-leading refinement isn't one of them. To call it average would be fair - it's not brilliant but it's not bad either - you don't drive a Yeti and immediately become aware that it's noisy; but if you step out of a modern Golf (or, not that I have, the latest Qashqai apparently) you will notice an increase in background noise.

Actually, I think that wind noise is fairly well controlled, it's more the road and mechanical noise that intrudes a bit more than I really care for. It needs more careful bushing to reduce NVH, more attention to bulkhead soundproofing and some extra sound deadening more generally really - all perfectly possible and without spending too much development money you would have thought, but no-one's reported that the FL model is any better than the pre-FL one. 

Diesel definitely (and unsurprisingly) noisier than petrol, especially under load of course. But again it's a matter of degree, diesel isn't hugely intrusive - distinctly better than some older diesels but still a bit of a background drone.

Finally, I'd also include ride quality in refinement; again the Yeti doesn't score badly here but it is a bit more sensitive to road imperfections than some of us like (especially on 17" rather than 16" wheels, not that you'll probably have a choice here).

Edited by prodata
  • Like 2

So far I have found it quieter than my old Nissan Note which has really surprised me diesel and wind wise. The Note was a 1.5tdi and my Yeti is a 2.0CDTi.

There is tyre noise, well I expected that seeing how they are 225's

Anyway, I listen to my music collection so when the cabin fills up with external noise the volume on the belero just increase.

Ride quality over speeds bumps is a bit harsh but there again I expected that as I have not brought a Rolls Royce but a stiffly sprung with wide wheeled snow monster. I suffer with 24/7 chronic spinal pain and leg pain but I am OK with this harsh ride but the seating position for me is a bit lower than I would like but this is to see better without the mirror blocking some of the view (See another thread)

I find the Yeti very refined.

OK so it's no Bentley but it's about the same level of refinement as the S-max I had before - a car which is noted for it's refinement.

• Like 1

I find driving some old sh***y courtesy car for a day makes the Yeti seems silent.

A year 2000 Rover 25 with 100+k on the clock, driven for around 80-90 miles, does the trick - as I had last week from local garage while they MOT'd the Yeti !

Not only does it help on the refinement side, but the Rover's high-profile chinese tyres, brake pads made from wood, coupled with worn steering joints and vague handling really make the Yeti feel like a kart.

Always good to drive a shed once in a while to make you appreciate your own car again :)

• Like 3

I find the Yeti to be very quiet, save for a bit of wind whistle around the tops of the doors at speed. It's certainly a lot quieter than my other car, which is not optimised for cruising butr for tracking.

TIBET III is definitely quieter as far as engine noise is concerned than TIBETs I and II - all have been CR170s, the first two being Elegance spec, III is an L&K.

On the recent outing to Dubrovnik and in doing so passing through nine different countries, I can categorically state that tyre noise is imperceptible on decent road surfaces - so don't blame the Yeti or tyre manufacturer!

In the front or rear seats on a decent surface there was only a whisper of wind noise in 130 kph (80 mph +) cruise mode.

• Like 3

TIBET III is definitely quieter as far as engine noise is concerned than TIBETs I and II - all have been CR170s, the first two being Elegance spec, III is an L&K.On the recent outing to Dubrovnik and in doing so passing through nine different countries, I can categorically state that tyre noise is imperceptible on decent road surfaces - so don't blame the Yeti or tyre manufacturer!

OK, that's interesting. Most other reports I've seen have suggested not much difference in noise levels between pre- and post FL. On the road/tyre noise, I guess most of us do live in the UK and so British road finishes are going to be our benchmark.

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

I agree with aerofurb - the refinement is very good and on smooth tarmac the car is very quiet. Sitting at 60 mph you only hear a little wind noise and you can't hear the engine. I know the F/L Yeti has been criticised for not using the latest engines but the 110 PS diesel has been a revelation - they must have tweaked it somehow to produce the excellent fuel economy and refinement I have experienced in my first 3 months/3500 miles with the car.

• Like 1

I would say that wind noise and tyre noise are quite low even at 85 mph. It is a fairly quiet cruiser on the motorway.

However, what is not good is the low speed refinement of the diesels. There is far too much vibration through the steering wheel

and engine rumble. Not a relaxing or particularly pleasant car to drive around town.

The diesels are definitely best on longer journeys or for family days out/expeditions/holidays where they are great - as they are fast, powerful and

have good fuel economy.

Unfortunately, I don't spend most of my time on holiday, so, if I bought another one I would definitely consider a petrol version for better day to day refinement.

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 1

I find the Yeti to be very quiet, save for a bit of wind whistle around the tops of the doors at speed. It's certainly a lot quieter than my other car, which is not optimised for cruising butr for tracking.

My old Octy had a slight bump to the driver's door, which was repaired. All absolutely fine except for greatly increased wind noise. A trip back to the body shop to rehang the door and all was well again.

All of which goes to show, it may not be entirely a model-specific problem -- a slightly iffy door fit and you'll get wind roar on any car. 

Coming from a 3 series BMW (6 cylinder petrol) I think the Yeti's pretty good.

In town the 170TDI is a bit grumbly but not unpleasantly so. However I'm always aware there's an engine running, unlike with the BMW. At speed the Yeti if anything is quieter than the BMW due to less road noise. With the raised driving position, excellent visibility and strong engine it's a very good motorway car, and I'd be surprised if anyone found it disappointing.

I guess what you're coming from is key.

Edited by AGyeti

I have added extra sound proofing under the bonnet and the boot floor under the spare wheel. I like really quiet cars and I drive at or under speed limits and the only intrusion is tyre noise on poor surfaces.

I actually kept being surprised in TIBET III by the quietness of the engine over the other TIBETs - same journey to work, same cabin environment but consistently over the first few weeks I was aware of the reduced engine noise. 

I haven't done much driving in anything but Yeti CR170s over the last 4.5 years of Yeti ownership so I can't make fair a comparison to other vehicles, but I think I am pretty well placed to compare pre and post FL Yetis, though.

• Like 1

My old Octy had a slight bump to the driver's door, which was repaired. All absolutely fine except for greatly increased wind noise. A trip back to the body shop to rehang the door and all was well again.

All of which goes to show, it may not be entirely a model-specific problem -- a slightly iffy door fit and you'll get wind roar on any car. 

Thanks - I'll get this checked at the next service.