New 2015 Mk2 Roomster announced (now bigger & more expensive)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our Roomster is now 4 years old, just had it's service and MoT.  It's my wife's car, she uses it for work so I don't use it much as I work from home so don't need a car.

It's our only car and it was me who chose it because of its capabilities for carrying stuff.  She chose the colour. ;-)

I've been impressed with it and if we come to buying another new car it could possibly not be a Skoda if the Roomster's replacement is going to be bigger.  It's an ideal size as it is.

Denis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Currently driving a Roomster Black Edition as a courtesy car while my Octavia Scout is in at the dealers.

Overall it's quite nice.  Very roomy, elevated driving position, funky looks. 

However, on the commute from home to the office the last couple of days I have been driving it (50 miles each way), the average MPG displayed is only 2 - 3 MPG more than I am getting from my Octavia Scout 1.8TSI.  I think it's a wee bit laboured at times and would benefit from maybe having the 1.4TSI engine, perhaps in a lower state of tune than the current 150 BHP ACT version.

That 1.2TSI is also a bit gruff sounding under acceleration.  So much so that when I first pulled away from the dealers, I thought it was a TDi engine, until I opened the fule flap and saw "unleaded" on the sticker! :rofl:

Glad you like it, must be the 86bhp engine(normally used as courtesy cars)..the 105bhp goes like a scalded cat though.. :D  :D ...have had both..

Edited by paully

Glad you like it, must be the 86bhp engine(normally used as courtesy cars)..the 105bhp goes like a scalded cat though.. :D  :D ...have had both..

It's the 105BHP 1.2TSI.  I am used to the 1.8TSI in my Octavia Scout so maybe just need a bit more pressure on the go pedal. :giggle:

Be interested to see what the replacement is like though as overall I find it a good size.  Mostly, about 99% of the time, I am the only occupant but I need a good sized boot for my wellies and walking boots, camo gear, camera tripods, wet weather gear etc, and the Roomster sure does have a good sized luggage area.  Maybe I'll look at the Roomster when it comes time to get rid of the Scout.

I like my Roomster but I like quirky cars. My last was the original Fiat Multipla which I mourn because of the 6 seats. The roomie is the oldest of the Skoda Range so it needs to be replaced. I hate the blind spot on the driver's and passenger's window - that black sprayed area makes pulling out of side roads difficult. Onwards and upwards!!

• Like 2

It's the 105BHP 1.2TSI.  I am used to the 1.8TSI in my Octavia Scout so maybe just need a bit more pressure on the go pedal. :giggle:

Think the 1.8 Octavia is a very hot ship, just give the Roomster plenty of pedal power :rofl: ..Used my one to shift some furniture we bought yesterday.Got it at a knockdown price but had to be moved that day..Easy peasy..still be very interested in the new one, when it comes..Mrs P likes the look of the `Caddy`  :no:

• 3 weeks later...

Well the new VW Caddy is out and it already looks JUST like a Roomster - i.e. a car of two halves:

VW-Caddy-Autosalon-Genf-2015-Vorstellung

That feature line under the driver's door and then going up looks very weird on the passenger Caddy - and accentuates the "two cars joined up" Roomster look to my eyes.  It works on the van only version though:

From:  http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-caddy-autosalon-genf-2015-preise-5579577.html

• Like 1

Very similar to the Touran pics, although differences on the dash.

The Touran also has electronic brake on all models. So if the caddy is out for orders, the Touran mustn't be far now.

If something in the background comes off I may be interested in a new Touran.

Looks like the pics I've seen. Shame they dropped the rear sliding door in favour of standard doors. Especially as almost all the competition have sliding rear doors. The next galaxy and espace mules have them.

As the Sharan is toast later this year, and there will be a Touran plus/grande/whatever as the replacement, standard doors will cost sales.

Looks like the pics I've seen. Shame they dropped the rear sliding door in favour of standard doors. Especially as almost all the competition have sliding rear doors. The next galaxy and espace mules have them.

As the Sharan is toast later this year, and there will be a Touran plus/grande/whatever as the replacement, standard doors will cost sales.

That market is way too small to get a return on the investment to design a sliding door. So to make the most money and at least have something in the 7 seat Touran class, a slightly longer Golf SV makes by far the most economic sense. VW doesn't care about being best in class in this instance or that they don't have sliding doors. They just need to be seen to be in the class and make some money. Which this SV+ will give them for very little outlay. Being MQB based it is also lighter and at least will be dynamically up to the rest of the class. Which the Caddy based van will of course not be. So the Roomster will probably be dynamically inferior to this as well as heavier.

Another doctored VAG publicity image that over exagerates the size of the wheels and tyres.

If the gap in between the top of the tyre and the bodywork is that small I'll eat my Skoda carpet mats.

• Like 2

Another doctored VAG publicity image that over exagerates the size of the wheels and tyres.

If the gap in between the top of the tyre and the bodywork is that small I'll eat my Skoda carpet mats.

That will be the R-line version!

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

The fact it is just a longer SV is pretty obvious:

SV:

Volkswagen%20Golf%20SV%20(1).jpg

Touran:

vw-touran-ac-2015-040.jpg

Or is that a Sharan? Or is the first one a Sharan? Or a Touran? :) They all look the same now.

Looks like this has the new fold flat seats the Sharan has?

Interesting to see if there's much difference in the 2nd and 3rd rows?

Any other pics?

Apart from the German sitting on the back seats I could not find any other photos of the second row let alone the third.