New Maps now available to download

All worked, took good five hours all-in due to slow

internet connection.

Postcode search still doesn't allow a house number to be entered.

In fact message shown is: 'No streets can be selected for this town' so doesn't even display which street you're heading for.

Might not be true though, but it did come from someone who should know :)

The new large file was larger than the one taken off the SD card. So you never know. Amundsen was also quite slow at first when messing about with the maps.

We shall see

In fact message shown is: 'No streets can be selected for this town' so doesn't even display which street you're heading for.

Id noticed that before. Scared me at first, as thought it wasnt working, but as soon as you get rid of the error, it started working out the routes.

Was a minor scare!!

Edited by JungleJames

All worked, took good five hours all-in due to slow

internet connection.

Postcode search still doesn't allow a house number to be entered.

Same as before then!

Took two hours to download the file in one shot in the end. Boshed onto an as card and took 45mins to install whilst I worked on our Cadillac next to it. Can't tell any difference yet but presume its just the new roads that have been updated

Same as before then!

it is necessary to make complaints to the seller, and on the basis of the complaint need ugrade sw in Columbus, then search by house number is working properly ...

I've just been doing the downloads now and I've found a way to make it somewhat faster!....

I have about 50mb/s internet and can usually download files at around 4mb/s. These are only downloading at around 400kb/s on mine atm.

But, I'm downloading all 18 split-files now at 400kb/s each, rather than just the 1 big file at 400kb/s. I see that as being 18 times faster, which will do me just fine. About 45mins - 1 hour for the lot.

Edited by Rob123

I've just been doing the downloads now and I've found a way to make it somewhat faster!....

I have about 50mb/s internet and can usually download files at around 4mb/s. These are only downloading at around 400kb/s on mine atm.

But, I'm downloading all 18 split-files now at 400kb/s each, rather than just the 1 big file at 400kb/s. I see that as being 18 times faster, which will do me just fine. About 45mins - 1 hour for the lot.

They must have restricted individual files to that slow speed.

I did each individual file (6 of) one at a time, assuming doing 2 or more at a time would just slow down each individual file (hence no quicker overall).

yeah i think it must be limited at the server end. If it was just limited on incoming speed then they would slow each other down, but I tried downloading the big file, which for columbus is about 17gb, to my tablet, before realising i didnt have enough free space, and that was downloading at around the same speed as each of the 18 separate files are now, so each file must have a maximum download speed

took the best part of 4 hours in the end. about an hour or so for file download, another hour for extracting the 7zip file, and about hour n a half for columbus to update. at least i didnt need the ignition on to do it like the instructions said. just set it away and left it with car locked, came back after about an hour to turn columbus back on after it had timed out, it resumed at about 65%.

My saved 'Tours' are also still there :D

As anyone else found that their Miss Amundsen seems to be going very slow since installing the new maps on the SD card?

With the maps being kept on the SD card, I wouldnt have thought this would happen, but it certainly seems to be slower, especially on Sat Nav mode. Very slow

As anyone else found that their Miss Amundsen seems to be going very slow since installing the new maps on the SD card?

With the maps being kept on the SD card, I wouldnt have thought this would happen, but it certainly seems to be slower, especially on Sat Nav mode. Very slow

I tried Sat Nav only once since the update and it worked fine (like before).

I didn't format the SD card just deleted the old files and then copied the new ones.

My old version was 036.

Your whole unit became slower or just the Navigation?

I tried Sat Nav only once since the update and it worked fine (like before).

I didn't format the SD card just deleted the old files and then copied the new ones.

My old version was 036.

Your whole unit became slower or just the Navigation?

I think its just the navigation.

It seems to be taking longer to load the maps up when you start the sat nav.

It then takes longer to respond when you change the scale or move the maps across.

When you go to change your destination etc, it also takes time to load up

Hi there,

I downloaded the one file 7z archive, i extracted the content of the archive (including: Eggnog, NavDB, SpeechResVDE, metainfo2.txt) to an sd card.

But the update always says that there's no data for update. Does anyone had a similar problem  ?

Cheers

Hi there,

I downloaded the one file 7z archive, i extracted the content of the archive (including: Eggnog, NavDB, SpeechResVDE, metainfo2.txt) to an sd card.

But the update always says that there's no data for update. Does anyone had a similar problem  ?

Cheers

Columbus or Amundsen?

If it is Amundsen then you need to copy it over the original Skoda SD Card.

Is the card formatted as FAT32 if it is for the Columbus?

Hi, it's 2014 Columbus, i have a 32GB sony SD card (formatted originally with fat32) What i did is extract the archive to my MAC and then copy it to the card.

Pretty sure the card has to be formatted to NTFS for the Columbus upgrade? If you're using a Mac then it might have formatted to a different file type.

Hi, it's 2014 Columbus, i have a 32GB sony SD card (formatted originally with fat32) What i did is extract the archive to my MAC and then copy it to the card.

That will be your problem then - others have had problems when using Macs as it creates hidden files in the FAT32 file system.

You need to use 7zip on a PC to be 100% certain - I am sure there are ways round it with a mac, but don't know what they are.

For reference, your card should look like this:

post-61868-0-89390300-1401218873_thumb.png

Pretty sure the card has to be formatted to NTFS for the Columbus upgrade? If you're using a Mac then it might have formatted to a different file type.

Nope - FAT32 is perfectly fine. Just upgraded mine for the 3rd time now and it has been FAT32 every time.

@andyvee yeah that might be it, i'm now trying to extract using command line interface. Then MAC does not add hidden files like .Trash or .Spotlight-V100.

Let me confirm this in some minutes if that is the cause.

• Like 1

Nope - FAT32 is perfectly fine. Just upgraded mine for the 3rd time now and it has been FAT32 every time.

My mistake, re-read the document and it mentions NTFS for the computer as the file size is 15Gb. Interesting to read that someone left it running with the car locked and ignition off, I had mine turned on the whole time (no engine though) as I thought it would stop if you removed the key.

You can just turn the Columbus on and update it without turning the ignition on. Lock the car, come back in about an hour and check on it. If the head unit has gone to sleep just turn it back on again and it will resume. No need to have the engine running etc. and it will resume the upgrade multiple times if the head unit goes to sleep.

• Like 1