Skoda newbie with a pain in the rear (caused by seats)!

Hello, this is my first post on here a week after buying my first Skoda! Just bought a 2010 Octy estate 1.8 tsi Elegance after 10+ users of Mondeos.

Loving the tsi engine, can't compare to any of the Mondy's I've owned. Unfortunately though I'm finding the Octavia the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. Although the ride is much harder and noisier than the Mondy's, it's the seats which are causing the the real pain.

I'm 6' 2" and fairly well built, though not massive. I'm finding the bolsters on the Octy way to deep and the gap between them too narrow. After an hour of driving I'm so uncomfortable.

Question is, has anyone else found this and resolved it anyhow? I've tried a wedge shaped cushion but that just makes my back ache!

Wondered if a seatsurgeons overhaul would help, but don't know if they replace the foam or not?

• Like 1

I agree with graphic.  They're my two pet gripes. 

I'm only a 12 stone weakling, but even for me the seats are way too narrow for what is quite a wide car.  It looks like they are designed for a much narrower vehicle.  Perhaps it was a cost-cutting thing, reusing a part from somewhere else? Shame, it wastes useful space and is a black mark against what is otherwise a very good design.

The cab is very noisy too - much worse than my old Astra.  I found it got much better (almost acceptable in fact) after the first change of front tyres from OEM to Vredesteins.

Thanks guys,

Good to hear it's not just me.  Wondered whether, to start with, I was just having new car syndrome but after doing a 500 mile jaunt to Aberdeen I'm not!   

Can anyone reccomend an afteramrket seat?  Don't really want racing seats, just a pretty standard seat for a standard guy. 

Beginning to wish I'd tried to return the car now - not a great start to Skoda ownership!  I'd never in a million years have thought the seat would cause me to feel this way.

Are L&K varients a different shape does anyone know?

Nick

L&k same shape but with electrical adjustmen but have the same problem with them causing sore behind and thighs. i have now audi a3 seat in and despite lack of adjustments compared to a l&k one i find them more comfortable. and no pain even after 3 hour trip. front seats from audi a3 mk2, golf mk5/6 and seat leon mk2 will fit and are available on ebay, best to avoid electric ones to avoid complications with wiring them in and you may need to swap airbag connectors over as they may be slightly different depending on the year.

• Like 1

L&k same shape but with electrical adjustmen but have the same problem with them causing sore behind and thighs. i have now audi a3 seat in and despite lack of adjustments compared to a l&k one i find them more comfortable. and no pain even after 3 hour trip. front seats from audi a3 mk2, golf mk5/6 and seat leon mk2 will fit and are available on ebay, best to avoid electric ones to avoid complications with wiring them in and you may need to swap airbag connectors over as they may be slightly different depending on the year.

Thanks matey, that's an option - I'll keep an eye out on ebay then.  Thanks for the L&K info too :)

Nick

I have a 2012 VRS and have the same issue with the right side bolster digging into my thigh and causing sciatic type pain. It is so bad I am going to get rid of the car. I am 6ft 3ins and not enormous.

The side bolster will soften over time but the lack of lumbar support is for keeps. I don't think I would buy another VAG car without a day long test drive. TBH my parents' mk 4 Golf had poor unsupportive sears too.

My L&K gave me grief. I was deep into France and heading south. I had to find some way to make it habitable.

I found that tipping the squab down at the front and up at the back took the pressure off the back of my leg, which as others have found, can become excruciating. I never think of it now. In fact they seem quite nice.

Hope this helps.

I have to adjust the seat in my car slightly further forward and lower than I wish otherwise the front edge of the seat digs into the back of my knee when my left foot is on the footrest.  As my car has DSG my left foot spends most of its time on the foot rest.

I have owned 4 cars (3 Nissan Primeras and a 2002 Audi A4 with Sport seats) where the front and rear of the seat squab could be raised and lowered independently to change the angle of the seat.  Very few cars seem to now offer that adjustment.

The sub-frame of most after market seats don't even offer height adjustment.  Using superior seats from another VAG model seems to be a good solution.

Sorry to hear others are having the same hassle.  Seems crazy that these bog standard seats are so problematic.  Part of me is wishing I had kept the Mondy now.  This is the most expensive car I have owned and most uncomfrtable!

Thank bf1, I had actually seen this post - might resort to doing this, though it frustrates me that I need to go to this much effort for somehting so basic!

Going to call Seat Surgons tomorrow to see if they can change the foam out somehow.  At least I'd then get a nice custom leather job with it. ;-)

Thanks everyone for chiming in with your experiences.  Much better experience with this forum than with the car so far!!!

My L&K gave me grief. I was deep into France and heading south. I had to find some way to make it habitable.

I found that tipping the squab down at the front and up at the back took the pressure off the back of my leg, which as others have found, can become excruciating. I never think of it now. In fact they seem quite nice.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Nickguzzi - I don't have that adjustment on the Elegance - just hight, back and lumber ;-(   Maybe I need some L&K seats afterall.

I got hit on the underside of my right thigh.

I'm sure an auto trimmer could modify the foam in the bolsters to suit if that is your problem.

Or maybe a ghetto fix of a few washers under the back of the seat mount.

I vaguely remember reading the LHD cars don't have the problem, its the RHD off set pedals which are the cause. Which may be the reason nothing is done by VAG.

I got hit on the underside of my right thigh.

I'm sure an auto trimmer could modify the foam in the bolsters to suit if that is your problem.

Or maybe a ghetto fix of a few washers under the back of the seat mount.

I vaguely remember reading the LHD cars don't have the problem, its the RHD off set pedals which are the cause. Which may be the reason nothing is done by VAG.

Ooooh, washers under the mount - now there's a thought.  I'm of the opinion that the angle is part of the issue so this might help.  Anyone know if there are longer bolts available to allow for this?

nick

For anyone wondering, seems Seat Surgeons don't have a solution either.  Hoped they could add some padding to the base to level it off, but seems not:-(  Leather retrim won't fix it...  doh!

Sitting in my car is one of the few times I feel the need to get my wallet out. On a serious note though, it does help.

Changing the angle of the seat with spacers sounds like a plan. I am 6'3" and I find long drives uncomfortable but mostly from neck pain.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/185553-vrs-seat-base-digging-into-leg-what-to-do/#entry2279083 There was a similar post a while back, Davepuds solution eased the problem but was not a cure, from what he told me the side bolsters were altered and the seat centre gained more padding.

Thanks, I'll give them a call!