TMC or BLUESPARK for VRS

• 2 weeks later...

ust tried fitting one of these bluespark boxes on the car. The map sensor doesnt fit. After speaking to bluespark they said the only way it cant fit is if it is a 2014 model (I think they mean cthe) im guessing mine is therefore a cthe even though I was told it was a cave by skoda. Either that or im being thick and trying to plug into wrong slot. Ive followed the tmc guides though. Colour me confused. Thought id check with you chaps before I start giving bluespark a whipping.

• Like 1

Yeah thats what worrying me. Its the exact box shipped out to him. (They confirmed this) thats why I cant understand it. It doesnt pull like a cthe but the place the tmc guide tells me to put the map sensor has a completely different socket to one on car. Its the same kind of socket on tuning box for the map and boost sensors. I assume this is right? Could do with matthewl seeing this so he can answer.... I assume the map sensor is in same place all time. Im baffled.

You will not see the engine code.

The Blocks are the same, the Remanufactured Replacement engines for a CAVE are Upgraded with CTHE Parts,  

But you have a CAVE ECU with the latest ECU update for a CAVE .   unless by chance you now have a CTHE ECU,& CTHE Engine Management  which is totally unlikely.

If you put up a picture of the ECU we will know by the external looks,

they are totally different on a CTHE.

I really worry about you fitting that to your engine and Voiding the Warranty of the Replacement Engine.

I know it is not a Remap, and people say it can be removed.

But if you make a Warranty Claim & are asked to sign a Disclaimer about the Engine having a Power or Boost Enhancer Fitted,

the truthful answer is you did.

I would Return that BLUESPARK TUNING BOX, get  Refund,  And get a APR Stage 1 MAP,

you still void the Warranty but get a good performing engine.   You only do that if you are certain that engine they fitted is perfect.  JMO.

Itll have to be tomorrow now. Im adamant im following guide properly though. Its just weird that the clip is different. Hopung matthewl sees this tonight so I know what to say in morning to blue spark

• Like 1

Anything can happen.

I remember 'matthewl',  saying he broke a clip, i need to go read what he said.

EDIT,

See post # 66

Maybe send him a PM,

but he might be out teaching those 'Bully Bashers'  in Aberdeen just what a 1390 cc engine can do.

I would have very early today,

if it was not for the Taxis even being S5 Quattros and the likes in the Granite City,  and blowing you off at the lights.

• Like 1

ust tried fitting one of these bluespark boxes on the car. The map sensor doesnt fit. After speaking to bluespark they said the only way it cant fit is if it is a 2014 model (I think they mean cthe) im guessing mine is therefore a cthe even though I was told it was a cave by skoda. Either that or im being thick and trying to plug into wrong slot. Ive followed the tmc guides though. Colour me confused. Thought id check with you chaps before I start giving bluespark a whipping.

my plug cracked where the click support thing is so i did have to secure it with a cable tie.

did this happen to yours?

Scratch that. Ive sorted it. Not tested it yet but I have no lights/errors showing. I was in friday shutdown mode. No concentration. Looking at wrong plug. :D

glad you got it sorted,

i have this page bookmarked and check regularly so its good i came across this.

so far no issues with my box

i do have what im guessing is a limiting mode on first startup but after 30 seconds of driving it goes away, it drives, and will rev up to 7000 but doesnt give full power. this limiter gradually drops off and you really feel the power coming on! im guessing thats a good thing as the engine would sometimes have been standing for 12 hours! (but it does happen if i have popped to a shop and the car is up to temps..)

car is fast! on setting 5! honestly now this box is fitted i would say it is a must you get an intercooler fitted,

once the cooler is fitted, its a night and day difference!

I've seen 53 IAT on my motor over the weeknend with hot engine and hard acceleration, but it went down very quickly. At full, sustained chat factory fitted IC is not able to cope - no wonder it needs to pump so much fuel in to prevent detonation!

• Like 1

I've seen 53 IAT on my motor over the weeknend with hot engine and hard acceleration, but it went down very quickly. At full, sustained chat factory fitted IC is not able to cope - no wonder it needs to pump so much fuel in to prevent detonation!

I havent had my car hooked up to a bluetooth adaptor yet, i keep meaning to but never actually get around to it.

i've been going off oil temp, before fitting the cooler the car warmed up real quick and i was regularly seeing 112-118oC oil temp on the maxidot after a 5-10 minute drive round the backroads! and would be at around 98oc driving normally

now im seeing around 102oc after a boot, and the highest has been 108 and that was after a quite aggressive drive.. and around 88oc driving normally.

I really need to get the OBD thingy on this car, are you using the torque app?

once the cooler is fitted you really do feel how held back the car has been after the remap! I think even on a standard car it would benefit from the larger cooler!

i was talking to a guy who gained 10hp and 40nm on a dyno after fitting his intercooler!

Edited by matthewl

matthewl,

i think unless you know when the Oil & filter was changed, rather than the service book stamped,

You need a New Oil Filter & some good Quality Oil in to 3.6 litres quantity,  i play on the same roads regularly,  and know the ambient temps.

& your indicated Oil Temps are high.

One thing to note is that your Oil Temperature might have been a good few degrees hotter when you were running with the spark plug which was on its way out.

& your fuel usage also higher when driving in an orderly and normal manner.

• Like 1

Agreed, those temps seem a little high.

With a TMC box and standard cooler, my temps are similar to mrburdon's.

Consistent temps at above 100 degrees are only seen with track driving. So you must be pushing on way too hard for the roads or have a problem/ low oil!!

Edited by Ally_bassman
  • Like 1

matthewl,

i think unless you know when the Oil & filter was changed, rather than the service book stamped,

You need a New Oil Filter & some good Quality Oil in to 3.6 litres quantity,  i play on the same roads regularly,  and know the ambient temps.

& your indicated Oil Temps are high.

One thing to note is that your Oil Temperature might have been a good few degrees hotter when you were running with the spark plug which was on its way out.

& your fuel usage also higher when driving in an orderly and normal manner.

Hey george,

oil and filter was changed less than 3 months ago when i picked the car up. around 2000 miles ago. this was done by west end skoda edinburgh.

good point, this was all when i had bad plugs,

tbh i done too many things at once to be able to pinpoint what exactly changed the car the most.

• Like 1

I am using DashCommand and WiFi OBD2 adaptor for iPhone. I tried it on my S4 but the blooming thing is not finding the WiFi adaptor at all for some reason...

I am quite surprised that aftermarket IC had such a large effect on oil temps. Granted, intake air will be cooler so better power but IC has nothing to do with engine cooling and oil cooler is cooled by main engine cooling.

It'd be good to see your intake temps :)