Spraying vRS door cards black

Now I have fitted my S3 interior and golf black carpet my white fabric door cards stand out a mile!

I have seen that others have fitted door cards from a L & K octavia but I am wanting to spray mine black.

Have any others done this and if so how did it turn out?

Did you use fabric spray or just a normal car paint aerosol?

Thanks

Been considering this myself but not sure what to use. Looked at spray dye for carpet but not sure how durable that would be. I may just retrim them in black fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have looked and there seems to be a few different black fabric sprays/dyes but I am not sure which one to get.

Looks like I might have to be the guinea pig?

Fabric sprays are useless. You can see the results in my project thread - starts well, but fades to light grey.

I think the material must be some sort of nylon or something that doesn't absorb very well. I'm going to try conventional spray paint as soon as it arrives.

• Like 1

Been considering trying black shoe polish the liquid type like thisetezaqum.jpg

Used it recently on some faded plastic trims and still looks good not sure how the door fabric will react with it but might give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay brilliant you will have to keep me posted with the results!

I was contemplating just getting a matt black spray can from halfords...

I've got a load of matte black spray paint on order, as I'm respraying my car soon and I should have some left over for the door cards. I'll let you know when I've given it a go ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Right I finally had a day off today so got myself down to halfords and got a 500ml can of matt black spray paint. I didn't take many photos but the two that I did take should hopefully show the difference.

I just masked off the door as I know how much of a pain it can be taking off and putting back on the door cards. The pics below show a more close up view of the finished job.

I had to do a bit of touching up with a small paint brush around the very edge of the fabric and since it is painted it does dry quite hard but after driving in mine yesterday and today the fabric has softened up a bit. Looks loads better with the black s3 seats and black carpet.

• 1 month later...

Surely that's just going to flake and crack off isn't it? It does look great though.

Autoglym do a black fabric dye aerosol that I have toyed with doing this with.

I'm interested to see how this holds up over the up and coming months.

• 3 months later...