Changed my gearbox oil today.

Part number was G052171A2 & it cost me £49.31 for 3 litres from my local dealer. i took out & put in approx 2.3 litres,hope this may be of use to anybody else wanting to do this job. 

• Like 1

Would be interseting to hear if an oil change sorts the notchy-ness from 1st to 2nd when cold, as my car suffers with this too.

The VAG "lifetime" transmission fill is anything but. I swap gearbox oil every 4 years, I once swapped after 6 and got similar result as shown in the photo (and I did swap the fluid due to diff noise, the new fluid cured it). Gearshift definitely improves as well, so long as you use the correct fluid.

Note that for some gearboxes VW fluids are quite pricey, it's worth getting Fuchs equivalent, far less expensive, same gearshift quality (and in many cases it is the same fluid as Fuchs is the VW supplier).

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

Gearbox oil must be the smelliest stuff ever, it mings.

I did it on my Bora Sport TDI (6 speed) after it had done 110k miles. It didnt make any difference to my notchy gearbox, but you can argue it is worth changing.

Im pleased to report the gear changes are much smoother & the 1st to 2nd change is lots better too when the oils cold first thing on the morning. I will change mine again at 100k. My friend who works at eurocarparts tried to get me non genuine oil but struggled so i just bought it from the dealer (with a 10% discount). Even changing the fuel filter,air filter & spark plugs has made a big difference to how it drives/accelerates.   :happy:

Is this an easy enough job? Did you follow a guide/how to?

Easy enough,engine undertray off,unscrew & remove level plug,position container under gearbox & unscrew & remove drain plug & leave to drain then refit drain plug,refill box through level plug hole until oil runs out of level plug hole,refit level plug,undertray & jobs done.  I did this with the car level on the ramp & mines a 2008 petrol vrs,i cant comment on how its done on other models. I did measure how much old oil came out & it was around 2.3 litres. 

• Like 1

I carried out a full service on my car today & also changed the gearbox oil,glad i did when you see the state of the old oil that came out(picture of old & new oil). I also changed the fuel filter & the colour of the petrol coming out of the filter was brown!. Car is a 2008 octavia vrs TFSI that has covered 54,000 miles. 

attachicon.gif20140604_090417.jpg

Mines a pint of best not the Guiness

• Like 1

The part number & price i paid are in post 4,i used genuine skoda/vw oil. 

Sorry completely missed that. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, it's a problem for me too. I wish to change the gearbox oil but can't find information about the needed oil. I can provide gearbox code from service book if it helps...

Mine is the 6 speed box. Ive no idea if its the same oil in the 5 speed box,sorry,best to check with you parts dept at your local dealer so you get the correct oil,im not 100% sure it the same procedure to change it on the 5 speed box so i advise you check first.

Thanks Mikey VRS, Haynes says to drain and fill with 1.8 litres, no way of checking so accuracy is essential. I rang local Skoda dealer and they are charging £8.86 a litre including VAT so ordered 2 litres. I will post on here what the p/n and spec is. Filler is through the reverse switch using funnel and tube.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the Haynes description for gearbox oil change, do they mention that space is limited around the reverse switch? (I did the change on a Superb II 1.9  5 speed - same engine/box?).

Might be worth checking you got a tool to get it out. I bought a box spanner for the job - but it wasn't the right shape. In the end I used a short adjustable which just fitted; my normal spanners were too long IIRC. And other near-identical adjustables wouldn't go wide enough.

Does the Haynes description look like this Jetta link?

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/manual-transmission-gear-oil-change-mk5-mk6-tdi/

Edited by CombatWombat

Thanks Mikey VRS, Haynes says to drain and fill with 1.8 litres, no way of checking so accuracy is essential. I rang local Skoda dealer and they are charging £8.86 a litre including VAT so ordered 2 litres. I will post on here what the p/n and spec is. Filler is through the reverse switch using funnel and tube.

I wasnt sure if the 5 speed filled up through the reverse light switch or the speedo drive,at that price it cant be the same oil in 5 speed & 6 speed boxes as my oil was a lot more expensive,im guessing the oil in yours is mineral as the 6 speed box has synthetic oil in it. 

• Like 1

FWIW, my Skoda dealer supplied G 052 512 A2 against the registration number. It was about £7-ish a litre (2 years ago).

After googling VW oil part numbers/applications and equivalents, I seem to remember that 5 speed and 6 speed oils were exactly as Mikey says above.

Edited by CombatWombat