Will they write it off!?

joncc

I don't think either idea works though - I don't want them collecting it and giving me a s*** 900cc courtesy car - and I don't want to lose a half day delivering it to a garage miles away... Tricky.

If they write it off take the money and buy it back. Get it repaired yourself. It's not a mechanical defect so the car will be fine. Much cheaper than getting an other car anyway.

• Like 1

TBH looking at the damage and considering the age and value of the car I'd suggest you don't even bother to repair the dent. Just get it covered up to prevent rust.

Eeek insurer's repairer. On past experience it'll probably come back in a worse state than it goes.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 2

If they write it off take the money and buy it back. Get it repaired yourself. It's not a mechanical defect so the car will be fine. Much cheaper than getting an other car anyway.

I think I would. I asked the company who drove into me if they'd just write me a cheque (they pay the first £10k of any claim through insurance!) - but they can't...

TBH looking at the damage and considering the age and value of the car I'd suggest you don't even bother to repair the dent. Just get it covered up to prevent rust.

Eeek insurer's repairer. On past experience it'll probably come back in a worse state than it goes.

It's cracked along the back edge and paint is chipping off - but yes, I want it to look ok and NOT rust most importantly.

For that sort fo damage, get insurance quote. If they want to write the car off as "uneconomical to repair" and you want to keep the car, offer to buy it back, and take to a decent panel beater. You might even finish up with brass in pocket.

• Like 1

Cheers - £1100 seems like a daft amount of money to spend on a car that most people would pay £1100 not to be associated with. Do you reckon they can spray it not green?!

Green is the future. :p

Somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that if it's clear that the other party is at fault and that is not contested, you have the absolute right to insist that the car is returned to it's pre-accident condition, at the repairers of your choice, and at the other party's expense.  Simples.

When the other party's insurer seeks to write the vehicle off as an uneconomical repair, and because they 'only' seek to indemnify their insured, you simply say 'no thanks' and insist on its repair, as is your right.  And then refer to Trading Standards if they don't want to play ball.

Gaz

• Like 1

Thanks for that. Guess it depends what they decide. Will wait and see next week and revert for advice again if required!

Thanks to all.

Somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that if it's clear that the other party is at fault and that is not contested, you have the absolute right to insist that the car is returned to it's pre-accident condition, at the repairers of your choice, and at the other party's expense.  Simples.

When the other party's insurer seeks to write the vehicle off as an uneconomical repair, and because they 'only' seek to indemnify their insured, you simply say 'no thanks' and insist on its repair, as is your right.  And then refer to Trading Standards if they don't want to play ball.

Gaz

I wasn't aware of that.

So what if it's a £1,000 car that needs £5,000 of work?

• Like 1

Gaz

You are being corrected.  :notme:

The law requires that you be put back into the same FINANCIAL position as before the incident.

Therefore they are quite within their rights to offer the pre-accident market value of the car.

They are not required to return the car to a physical pre-accident standard.

As BossFox has pointed out, the cost of repairs could exceed the value of the vehicle by an enormous amount - no company is going to pay out for this, and in fact are not required to.

Cheers BJM - I stand corrected.

I was quite sure this was covered in some detail on ClubGTI some years ago, but can I find it? Can I hell.

The best I can find is on the Consumer Action Group website, and I quote:

'Thirdly, no - you cannot insist on a full repair. Insurers only cover for an economical repair amount and this NEVER exceeds the market value. If the cost of the repair is more than it is worth, then it does not matter what the declared value is, it is their assessors report that will declare the full value they will pay out.'

Apologies for the bum steer  :blush: 

Gaz

Thanks - yours looks a bit worse - and a new light as well. But won't be too much different I guess. At the moment I'm just waiting for the assessor to visit on Wednesday.

In the past with a no fault claim, I've gone and got a couple of quotes off expensive body shops then told the insurance company that if they paid me the chepest quote I'd sort it all out myself and draw a line under the matter, I.e no courtesy car and all future come back claims waived. They are normally very happy to accept this. Last time it was an old caviller worth about £600 tops that someone had run in the back of, the chepest quote was just under £800. Took me about an hour with a slide hammer and even reused the original bumper, and got a nice fat cheque in my pocket. Try it as most insurance companies are terrified of compensation claims etc.

Yeah. I'm going to do this I think. Just waiting for the final quote from their approved garage. I've got a mate who can do it cheap and well I'm sure. Cheers!