Fabia mk1 1.8T RWD

benjen

fitting the actual engine was fairly straight forward, the bracket which bolts to the gearbox had to widened but again dead simple just jumped on the TIG during lunch. The engine mount bracket had to be changed from an AUQ golf platform too an BJX Polo platform, trying to get anyone to sell me one without a part number was a headache. Almost all the ancillaries, cables and PAS lines fouled the rad pack and fans one way or another so had to be chopped and changed then re-routed  

WP_20140227_002_zps511392e5.jpg

big job done and thats the exhaust manifold fitted. Its very tight but boy does it look good. This is a Relentless V2 that has been re-welded to aid strength. Fuel rail on with BAM injectors which i removed the filter baskets and 'O' rings and gave them a good wash in the ultrasonic bath at work, then replaces 'O' rings, seals and filter baskets. Was a simple enough job just a little fiddly. Opted for a cold side DV made up from a ally 'T' piece and a length of orange Samco hose to keep the theme, which goes straight back into my custom 80mm ally tip. next job is to build the exhaust system with a turned down pipe so its hidden behind the rear bumper.

Did my apprenticeship in machining so milling, turning etc then moved on as a multi- skilled engineer. Picked up Tig welding in my own time, comes in handy as i'm also building a one off bike. I do have the massive advantage of all the equipment at work and a set of keys  :p  thankyou very much, this is actually my first proper build and has been a learning curve at the same time. 

Explains why you are far better at getting on with stuff than me then. :D

Amazing what you have achieved on your drive in your own time.

Great stuff! :clap:

• Like 2

Yeah i would kill for a decent size garage lol got bugger all done after Christmas because the weather was so naf. thers a guy up the street who works for Ford and he popped down as i was lifting the engine out of the octy asking what i was doing, gave him a brief break down on what i was doing and he said do i know what i'm doing?? at which my reply was no not a clue lol think the fabia was stripped bare at the time and part re-wired   

• Like 1

Very impressive stuff, I did an Electronics Apprenticeship and im itching to get a chance to do a full wiring loom for a car. I find it quite therapeutic and pleases the inner nerd :D

As a part of my training i also did a bit of Bench work and a bit of Turning (me and a fellow appo made a Single Cylinder engine running on Compressed air based on a steam engine design), but that was it, didnt have the patience for Milling or Grinding and while there were Welding Facilities i never had the chance to have a go.

If i were local id be over at the drop of a hat to help out with the electrics, lol. Good luck with it all!

• Like 2

Must admit i enjoy the work just as much as the driving. Learning new skills along the way helps keep costs down and is all part of the fun for the 'inner nerd'  ;) . The welding is highly addictive because it can always be better and if you get really good a work of art, i'm still working on the latter lol 

• Like 2

yeah the cooler pipework was just a matter of making it leak proof so i don't get any boost leak headaches. 16 gauge ally is tricky to weld especially if your not a welder lol the chunkier stuff like on my lads buggy is easier too get a slightly more aesthetically pleasing weld  

• Like 1

WP_20140107_003_zps4ec260cf.jpg

Slight space issue with the exhaust, trying to make it so it doesn't melt/burn anything and so i can actually fit it, having to use just the hot side of the turbo to mark it up take it to work tack weld, home again test fit then back to work to be fully welded then onto the next section. The flange is made from 316 stainless and was knocked on up the CNC mill over lunch, the mating side bore is tapered because the hot side of the turbo is larger than 3" and i didn't want the exhaust gases hitting a step. The hot side housing has also be fettled with so the waste gate has be ported and polished just to try and keep it as free flowing as possible  

• Like 1

WP_20131122_002_zps61828ba1.jpg

exhaust section after down pipe

WP_20140108_0061_zpscf84980e.jpg

down pipe taking shape #take one

WP_20140120_0011_zps38e982b3.jpg

using the old system as a template to build the new 3" stainless system 

• Like 2

1911686_649665521759948_858102514_n_zps2

exhaust hangers had to be tacked on, test fitted then fully welded. Me on the left, to the right a good mate of mine and fellow Briskoda member Steve  

WP_20131226_002_zpsaa008708.jpg

back down on all fours for time being, no so sure on the wheels so bought a set of 16" steels that need painting

WP_20140308_001_zps49f6dde3.jpg

much better and completes the sleeper look, grit blasted the rims, cleaned them up, then painted them with Hammerite smooth silver and baked them in the over for 24 hours at 80 degrees C. Well pleased with the finish on them considering i only used 2 cans to do all 4 which came to under £20 

• Like 2

I still can't believe you built this on your drive and in your house. :D

Other than a small teething issue it was certainly going well at Blyton yesterday.

• Like 2

I still can't believe you built this on your drive and in your house. :D

needs must even when it rained i could sit in the house and work on the wiring or something else. Thinking of parting with the motor bike to fund a LSD and trying too source some 4 pots that fit under my 16's. The Yeti was very impressive on Sunday 

• Like 2