Flappy paddle steering wheel?

Has anyone thought how to modify and fit a suitable flappy paddle steering wheel on a Rapid DSG (1.6 Tdi especially :notme: )?

Works really good on Audi A3 (even in auto drive mode, not only in manual or sport mode). If those two cars have similar engines and gearboxes in basic (not really sure actually). It shouldn't be that hard to do so. But, if it is possible, does it worth trying?

Ps: There's nothing hard but impossible takes some time.  ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

Come on guys, 

Am I the only one thinking about this kind of mod?

Or is my English that bad that I cannot explain what's in my mind?

I have maintainance appointment tomorrow. And if I can reach the technical guide books, I will try to clear this matter up at the dealer (where nobody knows or wonders anything about this kind of details). 

They have no idea what I'm talking about.  :no:

And when I asked for the guide books I was treated as if I'm an industrial spy.  :D

As a result I'll keep my Fabia Mk1 and change my Rapid with Audi A3 or Jetta.

Rapid Elegance is a giant leap backwards after my ten years old Fabia.

And this is the end of my Skoda adventure.

Skoda? Never again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi,

This is posted in the totally wrong place. It's partly why not many answers have been forthcoming. It's ok I've moved it to the RAPID Q&A forums away from the technical guides. Hopefully we can rectify the poor service from the counter intelligence paranoid dealer. Once you/we know we can make it a guide/how to.

C.

• Like 1

Rapid Elegance is a giant leap backwards after my ten years old Fabia.

Really?

MK1 Fabia more modern than a Rapid[emoji15][emoji15]

I know this mod can be done on the MK2 Octavia but not sure about the Rapid.

• 8 months later...

I tried, but the Lambo V10 it was attached to wouldn't fit in the engine bay :rofl:

I'm pretty sure mechanical fitment is not an issue when using another Skoda wheel. The trouble will be letting the computer know its there.

It's not exclusive to the tdi. I'm interested in the 90kw tsi myself. Benefits to me are mainly fun since I like gadgets but I can see it also bring useful to control engine braking. Some say also useful to have more control of torque which is needed more in a small petrol engine than in your diesel v10 lambo taxi.

• Like 1

Ok. I would buy a 90kw TSI, chip it to nearer 120 kw, lower springs, 17/18's and then its almost sporty enough for the flappy gearshift -

however it already has a tiptronic gearstick which I can reach from the driver's seat and manually choose the gears.

Ask Bidey or another DSG owner on here if they think its worth the effort.

I know he's a big fan of DSG, and I would be too, but us poor people could only afford the 6 Speed manual.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

I had a flappy padal gearbox in the C4 - hated it. Only ever any use on the track, pointless and not effective in normal motorway and City driving. Just my opinion, but based on 3 years of living with said padal shift system.

I have owned a Octavia vRS CR with DSG and steering wheel paddles for 21 month/19K miles.  Would I buy another car with DSG - definitely.  Would I buy a car with DSG but without paddles -  definitely not.

Like all autos the DSG reacts to what is happening now, not what will be happening.  The paddles allow the driver to easily use his anticipation to change down in advance and prevent unnecessary gear changes.  Although this can be done with the selector lever using the paddles allows both hands to be kept on the steering wheel.

Examples

When planning an overtake using the paddles to change down BEFORE starting the overtake gives passengers a smoothly, less jerky, ride.  Also changing down before entering a bend rather then letting the DSG change down on entry to the bend.

A hill near me is approached in a 50 limit and the DSG will change up through the gears into 6th and then down into 4th on starting up the hill.  When it is in 5th I will change down to 4th and this prevents the unnecessary up to 6th and down to 4th changes being needed.

The only time I have used 'full' manual mode was in the following situation.

Driving up a steep mountain road consisting of sharp bends separated by short straights.  Left to its own devices the DSG used 3rd gear for the bends and changed up into 4th for the straights but the change up was only just before the next bend so was almost immediately followed by a change down back into 3rd. Using manual mode I could keep the car in 3rd to eliminate the unnecessary up and down changes into/out of 4th and no braking was necessary.

Would I buy a car without the paddles and then modify it to add them - no.  I just won't buy a DSG car without paddles.