DSG oil change

I plan to change my DSG gear oil and filter.

As I don't have the siphon tool so I plan to drain the auto box and then refill with 5.5L of oil through the filter housing ( I KNOW IT'S SLOW ) 

Then run gearbox through the gears with VAGCOM connected, when oil temp reaches 35C- 45C undo sump nut and let any excess drain out.

Can anybody see any problems with this method.

Can you confirm a 2006  six speed DSG box takes 5.5 litres.

P.S I know I'm only adding the start capacity, but opinion is you never drain the box fully.

Thoughts please.

Lads, unless your car is still in warranty, I wouldn't get to hung up on the 40,000 interval. My DSG has over 645,000kms and I think it has only had 3 oil/filter changes. I replaced the filter in between oil changes a couple of times but the gearbox still works perfectly!!

• Like 1

JB let us know how you get on as I have to do my fathers in the near future (about 4000 miles), top tips are always welcome. BTW I was going to follow the posted youtube video as well.

Mine won't be due for at least another year matey.

Lads, unless your car is still in warranty, I wouldn't get to hung up on the 40,000 interval. My DSG has over 645,000kms and I think it has only had 3 oil/filter changes. I replaced the filter in between oil changes a couple of times but the gearbox still works perfectly!!

You've been lucky but I wouldn't advise people to neglect the oil changes. 

Job done no problems, top filled through filter bowl. Tip,lots of forums state you only drain approx 4.5l and this is what I drained. refilled 5l and let excess drain after running through gears and letting oil reach 35c as read off vagcom dsg  oil temp clutch channel 19.

obviously if you refill by the top fill method and 5l is n't enough it would be a great deal of effort to add more, Skoda say add 5.5l this means buying 6 bottles of £15 per litre dsg oil.

Mine won't be due for at least another year matey.

You've been lucky but I wouldn't advise people to neglect the oil changes. 

I'm not advising anyone to do what I have done. I am just using my experience with the DSG box to highlight the fact that if you let it go over by a few thousand kms it is not going to be the end of the world.

In my opinion, it is just a ploy by VAG to sell lots of transmission fluid.

Mine's due in about 4000 miles.

I think I will just take it to a garage to do. Although I think I would be up to doing it myself I don't really have the confidence or time to.

What's a fair price to have the oil changed at a garage? (probably not main dealer but an independent VAG garage).

Phil

You might change your mind Phil when you discover the price, I'm sure I read that the average (at least at a main Skoda dealer) is around £160 for a DSG oil change...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/142536-dsg-gearbox-oil-change/

From VW's website:

DSG transmission oil and filter change

Why does my DSG transmission oil and filter need to be changed?

This sophisticated piece of engineering needs regular oil changes. The smooth two-clutch system is computer-controlled with very fine engineering tolerances. If the gearbox oil is dirty it will damage the other parts and affect the performance.

What happens if it's not changed?

Dirty oil can overheat the gearbox or cause the clutches to burn out. This will lead to poor gear selection, loss of power and transmission failure.

What do we do?

We check the gearbox for leaks, drain it and replace the oil filter* before filling it with high quality gearbox oil to Volkswagen approved standards.
*Only on applicable vehicles

How often does it need to be changed?

The oil, every 40,000 miles, the filter may need to be changed as well.

Edited by silver1011

Ah well. More than I thought.

I'm still going to have it changed as I don't like the idea of ignoring the recomended service interval.

Looks like the oil is pretty pricey plus then the labour.

Will save some money by doing other less complex maintenance myself (brake fluid needs changing this year too) and may even do an oil and filter change myself and get some use out of the Pela oil extractor.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

I'm not advising anyone to do what I have done. I am just using my experience with the DSG box to highlight the fact that if you let it go over by a few thousand kms it is not going to be the end of the world.

In my opinion, it is just a ploy by VAG to sell lots of transmission fluid.

True a few thousand km won't make a huge difference. But regarding the ploy to sell auto transmission oil, it's much more likely to be a ploy on the part of VAG to avoid expensive (for them) warranty claims. 

• Like 1

From what I 'm reading here it will cost around 100 notes to d i y. ( oil, filter, bits ) lots of tricky things to do and still not certain if it's right. it must be better to put into  a garage for around 160 notes and have no hassle. please correct me if i'm wrong I have to get mine done, over due 48000.

I have a 2010 Octavia with the DSG gearbox and have today received a recall letter, part of which reads as follows:

"As part of regular product monitoring, Skoda Auto a.s. has found that in vehicles with a DSG 7 Speed Gearbox filled with synthetic oil, the synthetic oil used can lead to an internal short circuit and to the blowing of the fuse for the Gearbox.  The failure causes the clutches to open and the vehicle freewheels.  The functions of all other systems (e.g. engine, steering, brakes and lights) are not affected."

I have been asked to take the car in for the oil to be checked and if necessary replaced with mineral oil, so it may be advisable for you to check with your local dealer before changing the oil yourself.

I have a 2010 Octavia with the DSG gearbox and have today received a recall letter, part of which reads as follows:

"As part of regular product monitoring, Skoda Auto a.s. has found that in vehicles with a DSG 7 Speed Gearbox filled with synthetic oil, the synthetic oil used can lead to an internal short circuit and to the blowing of the fuse for the Gearbox.  The failure causes the clutches to open and the vehicle freewheels.  The functions of all other systems (e.g. engine, steering, brakes and lights) are not affected."

I have been asked to take the car in for the oil to be checked and if necessary replaced with mineral oil, so it may be advisable for you to check with your local dealer before changing the oil yourself.

Different gearbox.

The 7 speed box doesn't have an oil change schedule.

The 6 speed wet clutch box is what we are referring to in this thread.

Phil

Just been quoted 158=58 by Skoda main dealer and 179=00 by vw main dealer, thats  dsg G/B oil and filter.

Edited by rlp

Just been quoted 158=58 by Skoda main dealer and 179=00 by vw main dealer, thats  dsg G/B oil and filter.

Your sig says you have a 1.6 petrol......these were never fitted with a DSG transmission. It has a standard torque converter auto.

You can make a filling tool for less than £10 out of some pipe, connectors, a couple of taps, an old DSG sump plug and a DSG oil container.

Plus some sticky back plar stic and old fairy bottles ala Blue Peter, woof, get down Shep  :- )

Your sig says you have a 1.6 petrol......these were never fitted with a DSG transmission. It has a standard torque converter auto.

that interesting .I've got a auto box with 's' and optional manual, If thats not dsg what is it.????

6 Speed Tiptronic.

It's a normal auto gearbox with torque converter. It can also lock the torque converter in certain gears (3rd or 4th gear and upwards).

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

that interesting .I've got a auto box with 's' and optional manual, If thats not dsg what is it.????

Assuming you have a 1.6 FSI, it's a standard planetary gear, torque converter 6 speed automatic transmission made by Aisin. It does have a very similar shift lever and control modes to the DSG but is a totally different transmission. The oil is (allegedly) good for life and does not require changing. 

Edited by booke23

Thanks for clearing  that  Phil. Does that mean that the G/B oil change is less often,  and is it cheaper. By the way it's a brilliant  G/B.