Noob Question - broken brake vacuum hose (Split)

It's a common fault, on almost all VAG cars, not just the Fabia. It's a different type of plastic to most other pipes in the engine bay so must become brittle around 10 years or so.

I wouldn't worry much about damage.

hi guys,

ok I taped both ends and breaks are amazing BUT, why is it and what damage or anything else can occur by doing it? I don't understand why it working. 

Cheers 

Steve 

It's not clear to me what you mean by "I taped both ends". Do you mean that you blocked the hole in the plastic left by the failure shown in your photo, and blocked the pipe that used to be attached there?

Where does the other end of that pipe (which used to attach where the breakage happened) go to?  Something won't be working as designed any more.

I think I've found it, it looks like the one that's broken off is the one shown with a right-angle bend in it in the image on this page. It is the source of vacuum for operation of your EGR valve. So that will currently be doing nothing.  Some people pay good money for kits which achieve exactly this, so no need to worry. Do make sure your repair to the plastic fitting is robust though, 'taped up' doesn't sound like it will  last long.

Sorry I was not specific, the breaks went hard, the pipe snapped off the bit shown in picture and the breaks work fine, I did put my finger over the home left where the pipe was and there is s slight suction, so I tapped / blocked both the pipe end and the nipple bit it came from, I do t understand why it is now working. Thanks for the answer, if it's that good and ppl pay money, I can go and snap anyone's fir a fiver plus travel, I'm in France till October

• 3 years later...

Hy all.

I don't know if this is related but driving home to Sheffield from Lincoln yesterday as I approached the M1 roundabout from the A57 the brake pedal went almost to the floor, one quick pump gave me enough to slow down and negotiate  the roundabout.  When I got home after gentle braking and steady driving I checked the master cylinder expecting it to be empty or very low but to my surprise it was up to the marks. I had the brakes "done" this summer including a new master cylinder and rear slave cylinder. I suspected it may be the servo but as said earlier that would make the pedal hard, I haven't had time to look for leeks at each wheel yet so any ideas ?   thanks  Tony    Fabia Mk 1 1.4 mpi  AQW.

No, a split or disconnected vacuum pipe leads to a lack of servo assistance, the brake pedal goes very hard and you end up having to press the pedal very hard to stop the car.

Pedal going to the floor is something completely different and very serious, at best you have air in the system that hasn't been bled properly, pumping the pedal finally gets it braking, OR master or slave cylinders or pipework are faulty or leaking.

Get it fixed asap, it could be the difference between stopping and a serious accident. 

Your car is not roadworthy with this fault, and as you know about it, then not only would you be breaking the law driving as is, but your insurance may decide not to pay out.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

System needs bleeding by the sound of it, one tiny air bubble will ruin the brakes.

One tiny air bubble will soften the brakes make them a bit spongy. Pedal going to the floor is a fair bit of air or seal problem.

• Thanks 1