Briski cyclists?!

samj2013

If it's a single lane road and they're cycling side by side and haven't moved to let you by after a minute or so i'd give them a little beep of the horn to let them aware that you're there and would like to pass.

If it's a single lane road and they're cycling side by side and haven't moved to let you by after a minute or so i'd give them a little beep of the horn to let them aware that you're there and would like to pass.

Ive done that before and was presented with some sign language :D :D.

Its like anything isnt it. Theres ***** in every form.

• Like 1

It is. I'm a cyclist myself so i know the difficulties that cyclists face on the road.

I've always said that drivers can learn a lot from cyclists and vice versa. Cycling made me a more considerate driver and vice versa.

• Like 1

It is. I'm a cyclist myself so i know the difficulties that cyclists face on the road.

I've always said that drivers can learn a lot from cyclists and vice versa. Cycling made me a more considerate driver and vice versa.

I agree with this. Cycling the length of the UK has made me drive more responsibly around cyclists whilst also cycling responsibly at the same time.

• Like 1

I am back on my Fat Tyre bike after a week of riding my regular bike.

Now i have the pedals, seat, stem bars and grips just as i like. 

My arms were getting more of a work out than i wanted and my elbows and forearms were killing me.

Also sorted out some proper Security if i need to leave my bike anyplace. Just need transport for them.

(good to see Scotland's finest are protecting the rights of way in Scotland, even if Trumps Security think they can 'lock down' areas if he wants them to.)

post-86161-0-58799000-1467105395_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-23497500-1467105420_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-60902700-1467105442_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-32365300-1467105544_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-14918900-1467105640_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-65784100-1467105685_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-81900200-1467105733_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-86475300-1467105776_thumb.jpg

The Highway Code says that you must not cycle more than two abreast, i.e. two is ok and perfectly legal.

Not quite, the HC says 'should not' (advisory) rather than 'must not' (prohibited by law).

Even if you can pretty much fill a B roads width with 2 generously spaced cyclists? :D

This was on quite a narrow bendy A road (the A6 coming out of buxton, if anyone knows it). I'm sure he must of known i was there and was accelerating to take. I did give him some horn as i stood on the brakes so not to hit him. But just got abuse, fingers, called a ****** and what not. Wasnt happy with him and did fancy a word, but thought better of it n carried on. 

I know cars can take the pee, as i've ridden slow motorbikes years ago and know car drivers like to push past and push you into the edge. 

Just wondered how it stood with the 'law' as such

I've come across 2 abreast and about 30 rows here in the peak district. How they expect people to get safely past, im not sure :S. 

Here's a short video explaining all you need to know.  You might occasionally have your journey interrupted by negotiating a cyclist but please remember that your convenience isn't a priority over their safety.

https://vimeo.com/135884468

HV

• Like 2

@ 1.44 he should not be going to pass them simply because there are solid lines in the middle of the road, but then the highway code does cover slow moving vehicles a bit.

as a driver even very aware of cyclists,

It can be hard to pass often on roads with dips and bends and no road markings, but then there can be anything around a blind corner anyway even if no cyclists there, like a animal on a road.

It does get annoying though when a cyclist is not aware you are behind maybe because  you are staying back waiting to safely pass and it goes on for corner after corner and incline after incline.

This is always going to be a controversial topic, at the end of the day, common sense from both the cyclist & the motorist should mean there are no altercations and everyone can continue their journeys in safety & swiftly.

We are all human's and have families/loved ones that we all want to be with. 

I enjoy cycling, even cycling to work (even if it does mean 4+hours of commuting) but my wife doesn't, she gets very nervous & feels the need for me to check in every 45min-1hr, this is because of the number of times I've been knocked from my bike by a car (some drivers stopped, some didn't, some were on purpose, some were people not realising how close they were), the number of times a car driver has stopped in front of me and threatened me with walking sticks/steering locks etc for not getting out of their way, they have the right of way because they pay road tax!  

I digress

Common Sense is all that is needed by all road users, sadly that will never happen.

Be safe

This is always going to be a controversial topic, at the end of the day, common sense from both the cyclist & the motorist should mean there are no altercations and everyone can continue their journeys in safety & swiftly.

We are all human's and have families/loved ones that we all want to be with. 

I enjoy cycling, even cycling to work (even if it does mean 4+hours of commuting) but my wife doesn't, she gets very nervous & feels the need for me to check in every 45min-1hr, this is because of the number of times I've been knocked from my bike by a car (some drivers stopped, some didn't, some were on purpose, some were people not realising how close they were), the number of times a car driver has stopped in front of me and threatened me with walking sticks/steering locks etc for not getting out of their way, they have the right of way because they pay road tax!  

I digress

Common Sense is all that is needed by all road users, sadly that will never happen.

Be safe

I have an app on my phone that tracks my position, my girlfriend doesn't worry if I keep moving... she can also see exactly where I am if I have a problem I can't fix and can then navigate to me if I ever need a lift home :-)

I have an app on my phone that tracks my position, my girlfriend doesn't worry if I keep moving... she can also see exactly where I am if I have a problem I can't fix and can then navigate to me if I ever need a lift home :-)

I used to use Endomondo for that very purpose, but as we live out near the Peak District and most of my routes take me through it, mobile & data reception is very weak and too unreliable, quite often it would stop tracking & she couldn't ring me as I didn't have any reception, it would make her worry more than our current solution.

Edited by DarkPeakCycles

For years now i try to watch as much of the Tour De France coverage on TV that i can.

Views today are amazing as always.

http://tourdefranceontv.co.uk/itv4-tour-de-france

Its going to take a bit to get used to the commentators though.  

Just a shock to the system, but thankfully they are knowledeable.  

(still struggling with sound up, tv adjusted etc to hear what they are mumbling sometimes.)

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Briski cyclists......a couple of small observations that *may* bring some thought (and hopefully some safety).......

Whilst chugging my way home, avoiding the M25 down some very nice countryside roads (i.e. tree-lined and rather bendy), I came across several cyclists.

The first was a group of about 20, obviously out for a run (although why in the rain I'm not so sure.) The first observation is; being spread out, there was no easy way to over-take with any safety, as 20 cyclists is way longer than an HGV, and on a country road, getting stuck at sub 20mph because you can't far enough to see if there's a gap or something coming the other way.

The other: it was a fairly on/off day with the weather. Hitting some of the tree-lined, i.e. shadey parts of the road can make a cyclist vanish into the darkness, certainly for a few seconds. Maybe using the rear-light, in the same way as cars have DRLs could be a useful idea? Not all cyclists wear something bright enough to counter this temporary issue. (Obviously not so much in the city, but the countryside)

This isn't a rant, or a knock, just a view from behind the wheel.

(If I remember, I'll dig out the camera footage tomorrow)

Briski cyclists......a couple of small observations that *may* bring some thought (and hopefully some safety).......

Whilst chugging my way home, avoiding the M25 down some very nice countryside roads (i.e. tree-lined and rather bendy), I came across several cyclists.

The first was a group of about 20, obviously out for a run (although why in the rain I'm not so sure.) The first observation is; being spread out, there was no easy way to over-take with any safety, as 20 cyclists is way longer than an HGV, and on a country road, getting stuck at sub 20mph because you can't far enough to see if there's a gap or something coming the other way.

The other: it was a fairly on/off day with the weather. Hitting some of the tree-lined, i.e. shadey parts of the road can make a cyclist vanish into the darkness, certainly for a few seconds. Maybe using the rear-light, in the same way as cars have DRLs could be a useful idea? Not all cyclists wear something bright enough to counter this temporary issue. (Obviously not so much in the city, but the countryside)

This isn't a rant, or a knock, just a view from behind the wheel.

(If I remember, I'll dig out the camera footage tomorrow)

As a cyclist (and a driver) that would annoy me if I was behind them. I can see why they'd want to stay as a group, but splitting up into two or three smaller groups would help avoid this situation escalating.

There are good (and inconsiderate) people on both sides...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. New(ish) member. Anyone riding the etape from here next week?

I'm not but a friend is. We then both head off to Germany for RadamRing at the end of the month.

Anyone else here doing 24hrs on the Nurburgring?

That's exactly it and I find in most cases that works well, it's just the small number of idiots (they're always there regardless of the form of transport) that spoil it.

It does remind me of a cycle a few weeks ago where I was going along a single track section of road on my road bike and got a little beep on my Garmin to say there was something coming up behind so swung into a passing place allowing what turned out to be a motorbike to get past me and I didn't need to lose much speed either earning me a wave from the biker as they went by.  A couple of miles later the track went downhill and it was quite tight and twisty so I caught up to the motorbike but didn't want to go by as I knew I couldn't keep that pace up however I was amused when the motorbike pulled into a passing place and waved me on to overtake, copying my maneuver.  I went past and sped up although once the hill was over and I was climbing into a headwind the motorbike caught back up to me, came alongside and the pillion passenger lifted their visor and complimented me for managing to go over 35 mph, gave me a thumbs up and went ahead.  

I've got a Garmin Edge 520 which has the livetrack feature and particularly handy when doing solo off road cycling night although I agree with the posts above that it can cause more worry at times when it's out of range or it's misbehaving (rare but does happen) however there seems enough reception around here that it works enough of the time.  I'm also impressed with the varia radar system which is pricey and doesn't sound that useful but I like knowing there are cars behind me and it's particularly useful as it shows the speed they're approaching at and how many cars there are.  If I see a car approaching at speed I know they're unlikely to give me much space so I tend to get right over to the edge of the road to try and maximise the gap.

John

I'm not but a friend is. We then both head off to Germany for RadamRing at the end of the month.

Anyone else here doing 24hrs on the Nurburgring?

I'd love to do it but I'm not good enough solo over 24 hours and couldn't get a team from here to do it with, it's a long way to go just to do a few laps on my own.

John

I'd love to do it but I'm not good enough solo over 24 hours and couldn't get a team from here to do it with, it's a long way to go just to do a few laps on my own.

John

I'm no solo nutter either.

We have a big group, two teams of four and two solo nutters.

Looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...

From the end May when i was 119.5 kg dressed and ready to go biking i am down to 114 kg, and feeling lots better.

So i am a little lighter and the bike is lots heavier with my Brooks Conquest saddle & rack on,

but i can do 40 miles a day on the Fat Bike carrying light gear to camp and i am ready for some Loch & Canal side trips and glen rides when the weather turns colder.

Happy now to be doing 40 miles on consecutive days on tracks and fire roads and looking to be at 60 miles by October or so.

I used to do that easily 20 years or so ago.

(The Diamondback Lumis 1.0 is handy for going in the car & OK on paved roads but harder work for me than the Fat Bike on dirt.)

post-86161-0-70376700-1470929533_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-21806500-1470929559_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 2