Drying

Cactusjack

What's peoples preferences when it comes to drying / What's the best product for drying??

Chamois (real or synthetic?)? MF towel? Waffle?

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chamois are old hat now and the professional detailers use microfibre towels. The woolly mamouth is a big brute, but is excellent. I use one of these to get most of the water off and a couple of kent large mf towels to finish off as they are easier to work with when getting into the nooks and crannies. The easy option is to have several so once 1 gets wet you use the next dry one which saves time and absorbs more water/makes a better job of it than a partially dry wrung one. If you want to push the boat out a pet dryer off ebay costs circa £60 and blows either cold or hot air which is brill for wheels etc. Mine arrived today and is hidden in the garage, sounds like a hoover so shouldn't raise suspicion with SWMBO.....

Forgot to add, lay it flat on the panel then draw it acros it by the 2 corners. do the same down the sides holding top and bottom corners. Doing it this way is really quick and some say you should pat them instead but seemed a bit of a faff to me though each to their own. Once finised I put mine in the washing machine on a rinse spin cycle then hang them up in the garage to dry off. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I always use either a mf drying towel or autogl aqua wax with a few microfibre cloths.

Chamois leathers I find are a big no no due to the fact that if there's any fine dirt or grit on the car, you're going to cause micro marring or swirls on your paintwork.

Or a leaf blower ;)

• Like 2

Good to know, thank you. I have a cheapo halfords waffle type towel at the minute, and I just keep wringing out as I'm going. I shall invest in a few MF towels on your advice then I think. Is there really a difference in the non branded ones compared with the eye catching "usual" brands?

I have a compressor in the garage with a few air gun attachments, might get that out for the nooks and crannies.

I keep a few different mf cloths, the cheaper ones just tend to deteriorate quicker I find. If you're looking to use autoglym a aqua wax which I highly recommend, finish off with a good quality deep pile cloth. Gets rid of all the product with a nice finish. This is mine..

image-10.jpg

if by 'usual' brands you mean maguiars etc then there's no difference if you choose wisely and often the alternatives are better, though cheap ones don't tend to last-the usual you get what you pay for applies. The important bit when looking at is the weight and size. Have a look on places like cleanyourcar.co.uk and don't forget to look at the thread ChrisRS posted in stying and care for discount codes ;)

I got the woolly mamouth after Chris recommended it...dam the internet.....and credit cards...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/drying-towels/cat_65.html

these are the kent ones. not as thick as the woolly mamaouth but good for finishing off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-KENT-EXTRA-LARGE-MICROFIBRE-TOWEL-CLOTH-VALETING-CLEANING-FIBRE-DRYING-XXL-/350656744504?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item51a4c54c38

there will be no escape... this is the equivelent of the hotel california

I hope you got a yellow pet dryer they are £10 cheaper, Its custom made exhausts that are harder to keep quiet!!  :D Only got rumbled last time when one of the daughters came home and immediately said whats happened to your exhaust  :peek: . She wont be so bothered this time as she has got her new extension 

I hope you got a yellow pet dryer they are £10 cheaper, Its custom made exhausts that are harder to keep quiet!!  :D Only got rumbled last time when one of the daughters came home and immediately said whats happened to your exhaust  :peek: . She wont be so bothered this time as she has got her new extension 

That's nice to know Alan! guess what colour I got LOL... It matches my Blackline and has 2800 do dahs but was £3 extra compared to the yellow one.  Anyway only Andy buys yellow :bandit:

I have a dozen of those Meguires drying towels. The first 6 were bought intentionally and the other 6 were bought because I couldn't think of anything else to buy to make up the 3 for 2 offer on 2 separate occasions. And you HAVE to take advantage of that. So I use one to get the thick of the water off the another to completely dry the area, then repeat until car is dry.

Cheers for the info guys.

Went for the Kent towels for now as the price was appealing, shall see how they fair.

I can see this becoming rather expensive.......

• Like 1

Or a leaf blower ;)

You sir are a star ..i had a leaf blower that i have not used or no need to use anymore so today took it apart and converted into a "car dryer" and it work brilliantly, so thanks for that idea and it cost me £0 !!!

• Like 1

You sir are a star ..i had a leaf blower that i have not used or no need to use anymore so today took it apart and converted into a "car dryer" and it work brilliantly, so thanks for that idea and it cost me £0 !!!

As a thought do they have filters in them to stop you firing bits it sucks in at the inlet end at your car?

Superb! Great to hear it bud.

• Like 1

Dunno..Ive never seen or even heard of any issues Ade

Nor me but just a thought.... didn't want anyone potentailly pebble dashing their car with crud after they'd just spent time cleaning it :angel:

I can see a 'my car blower is bigger than yours thread starting....' :D

As a thought do they have filters in them to stop you firing bits it sucks in at the inlet end at your car?

Have you not looked at it, the opposite end to the elephant trunk is one huge foam filter, unscrew the plastic nut to reveal and clean  

Have you not looked at it, the opposite end to the elephant trunk is one huge foam filter, unscrew the plastic nut to reveal and clean

I was referring to the converted leaf blower Alan.... keep up old chap.

Don't know what to say really other than Chris is a bad influence. I've bought the blower, 4 carpro towels, a dooka wheel pad and some farecela restorer since Monday. My only claim to some form of restraint was not going 3 for 2 when I bought the farecela at Halfords, but in reality I couldn't find anything I fancied that I hadn't already got LOL.......On a positive note are you going to watch the tour over the weekend?

Yeh man i took the blower completely apart and thoroughly cleaned it put it back together then shortened the end that the air comes out of. All that you are sucking in now is clean air, used it today ....brill.  

• Like 1