So I've been the proud owner of a Skoda Raid 1.2tsi Elegance for a few weeks now and have been really impressed with the general sound of the stereo and love the fact that it plays my music from my iphone via Bluetooth (although the voice recognition is a bit clunky to say the least!)

Having said that I am wondering how and if it's worth upgrading the speakers, adding a sub and a little bit of sound deadening to the doors or other areas. Like I said generally impressed with the factory kit and don't want to change the head unit. Anyone got any advise?

well this is what I did, sound proofed the front doors cost £24.90  from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0045CMFAC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Replace factory radio (make sure you get the correct lead which has two aerial adaptors) fascia plate and lead £25

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201085067839?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2505wt_725

double fuse blade adaptor £3 (for switched live)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171380843401?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_520wt_725

Radio is Pioneer FH-X700BT   http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/pioneer-fh-x700bt-double-din-car-cd-player

Sound system is a lot better and is well worth the effort, factory speakers handle the output quite well

Factory fitted audio unit is ok but when it turns itself down it gets quite annoying

Edited by hossit

Thanks for the reply... I'm not keen on playing with the factory head unit (swing) as it has all the parking sensor display, Bluetooth and steering wheel controls integrated. I do like the idea of sound deadening the doors - well the whole car as it's not got much. I'm after a little more of the low end frequencies but not all boom boom boom!

• 2 months later...

i found alpine cde-178bt to have the ability to connect to can interface and use buttons on the wheel.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/p/Products/cd-head-units19/cde-178bt with this cable http://www.alpine-electronics.co.za/p/Products/other-accessories2792/apf-d200vw

retain_parking_sensor_MFD.jpgretain_climate_control_display_MFD.jpgKIT-8VW-Steering_Remote_Control_Comb.jpg

does anybody know if any other car radio that is able to integrate in rapid to use existing controls and maxidot?

• 9 months later...

If you have have factory-fitted reversing sensors, you will lose the visual radar display (and possibly the beeps) if you upgrade to the Alpine. Shame, really nice spec unit otherwise. The Kenwood DNX VAG-compatible units retain the reversing sensor display.

If you have have factory-fitted reversing sensors, you will lose the visual radar display (and possibly the beeps) if you upgrade to the Alpine. Shame, really nice spec unit otherwise. The Kenwood DNX VAG-compatible units retain the reversing sensor display.

i think the speaker for sensors is in B pillar..so it will keep on beeping if you remove original hu.

I will check again, but I was fairly sure my beeps come through the car radio speakers (in line with the auto-dipping of the radio sound), rather than a separate speaker in one of the pillars.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

One of the alpine units definitely has the reversing sensor/radar diagram...

• 2 weeks later...

As anyone updated the speakers?  Mine speakers seem to be a bit in precise.  Not sure if it's better to use a separate amp and reshape the sound or just change the speakers and an amp.

I went for the amp first and added an 8" sub. The result is the bass is improved, mid is ok but the tweeters are the limiting factor (or should I say make my ears sad!). My next star is to buy a audison bit 10 d and a pair of peerless tweeters and run an active system.

You could upgrade the speakers to start with... I would say spend the extra money and get the door sound deadened and the speakers installed using mdf rings (painted so their water resistant) I just happened to have a couple of amps and bits lying around, which is why I went the way I have.

If you go amp first then be aware that the head unit tests the speakers each time it is switched on. Make sure your fader is set to centre otherwise It will switch off the channel that isn't selected and you get no signal.

I also took some time and sound deadened the rear wheel arches and boot floor... Not to much but it does make a difference :)

Have fun :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When replacing or gaining access to the door speakers can the Grilles on the door panels be taken off seperately like the Octavia or do you have to take the whole panel off?

Whole of my n/s speakers vibrate like hell on the smallest of bass :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When replacing or gaining access to the door speakers can the Grilles on the door panels be taken off seperately like the Octavia or do you have to take the whole panel off?

Whole of my n/s speakers vibrate like hell on the smallest of bass :(

Whole panel off, sorry. Be careful with the order of removing the clips. Bottom one first, then its closest outwards and upwards, then follow a zig-zag pattern until you reach the last one at the top and outwards. Total of 6 clips.

I really miss my speaker setup on my old car (a VW Polo). I used to have two round speakers on the dashboard and two ovals on the boot cover. I don't understand why they keep putting loudspeakers on the doors when it's clearly a too low and obstructed place.

True. I find it just can't take any base at all without so much vibrating/rattling in the doors. I've tried so many different settings on the Amundsen but nothing works.

My Octavia and Citigo had an awesome standard setup.

True. I find it just can't take any base at all without so much vibrating/rattling in the doors. I've tried so many different settings on the Amundsen but nothing works.

My Octavia and Citigo had an awesome standard setup.

I haven't seen the inside of the Rapid's door but from what you 're saying I 'd bet that it has no sound deadeners or vibration dampers on the clips as it should. It is very easy to add these though.

That being said, a proper audio setup should drive low frequencies through a subwoofer and not main loudspeakers.

• Like 3

you're in luck...i have just opened the door yesterday as i'm waiting for this delivery http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/RAPID/Rapid-rear-doors-loudspeaker-set-original-Skoda-Autoas-product

BwFN6L5.jpg

jXFXwIk.jpg

1gK4zh5.jpg

iYiIC6Q.jpg

also check this post
http://forum.skodahome.cz/topic/125173-mont%C3%A1%C5%BE-zadn%C3%ADch-reproduktor%C5%AF-do-rapida/

Edited by dukedl
  • Like 4

Sorry to change the subject slightly - GREAT photos by the way!

As you may know I was midway through my audio install in my old, now dead, rapid. Our replacement car will come with the Amundsen + head unit... Anyone know what output it has in order to connect to my amp?