Skiers and snowboarders come forward...!

alex_e3

A quick question for the snowboarders:

Medium sized bindings - to fit UPTO and including a size 10 boot? Or would a ten be a squeeze?

'Large' sized bindings - would a size ten be a sloppy fit in these, or okay as long as tightened properly?

JRJG

My guess is it would depend a huge amount on the boot and the level of padding. Only way to be sure is to try it

Never have any of these issues myself - always the largest available with a size 12/13 UK depending on fit.

Why are you 'retiring' a board that's only two years old? Do you board regularly or do you usually get rid after a few years?

How often are you supposed to service (edge and wax) a board, similar to skis (once edges aren't gripping as they should and skis feeling rough underneath) ?

I saw some 'Arbor' snowboards that had the top layer completely exposed and we're basically the treated wooden layer on top, they looked ace, would look like you had a plank of wood on your feet.

JRJG

my board has over 100 days on it! not to mention multiple tree/rock encounters. I do use my old board (2009 Ride Control 155) as an early season "rock" board. I do my own waxing and edge buffing during the season but will have the local shop strip and coat wax it (summerize it) and machine edged at the end of season. how often depends on conditions, we have it pretty icy at present so edge buff at the end of every day, rewax every other. when the snow is colder and softer (-15 and below) then you can go longer.

What a place to live and be a skier/snowboarder. Right on your doorstep. Skied at Lake Louise and Sunshine Village in Canada years ago, really enjoyed it, the snow was so dry and light. At lake Louise, over the opposite side of the mountain there is what they call the powder bowls: does what it says on the tin. The first lift up after a heavy dump the night before, there was only about half a dozen lines down it.. Knee deep, lean back, amazing skiing.

I assume it's easier to control as it is smoother and therefore more predictable? If it is well waxed and a quicker board?

JRJG

living on a resort was always part of our dream when we emigrated 8 years ago, we are about an 8 minute drive from the resort www.sunpeaksresort.com and then a further 8 minutes to the top! we used to ride Louise and Sunshine when we lived in Calgary, both great resorts. Our favourite in BC is Revelstoke 3hrs east of us, longest vertical in North America with some mental terrain, couple of seasons back it was beyond waist deep in places and champagne powder, that was a day to remember!

Snowboarding in deep powder takes some practice as normal edging and toe/heel pressuring rules become less relevant, I usually burn my back leg out within half a day riding deep stuff as you are leaning on it more  to balance and turn.

A longer rocker board is a great tool when it's steep and deep.

Edited by m17rkj

Thanks for the information and tips m17rkj

Sounds as though you live a dream, at least location wise anyway! I am planning on staying on the piste for at least a couple of ski trips yet! Any off piste incidents will be accidental anyway. Leaning back and the normal rules of steering differing when in powder sound like it's a very similar ball game as skiing in powder. Finishing a run with burning thighs from leaning back!

I'd love to return to Canada but the prices are very high compared to ten days in Europe.

JRJG

subvert at chill factore have always been good with me and the fellow snowsports team from uni.

i am 5' 7" and ride a 158cm 2013/14 k2 slayblade for all mountain/carving and also have a 152cm 2011/12 k2 www as a play board.

every fancy hitting chill factore give us a shout, would love to get to know other brisky skiers/boarders guys and maybe sort a holiday

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well Kitzbuhel in Austriawas a great holiday, spent three days skiing and then three days boarding. Enjoyed the snowboarding much more than I did the skiing, despite it being absolutely exhausting compared to skiing. I doubt the three a.m crawling back to the chalet and then up at seven for breakfast helped though. In all seriousness though, I think skiing is far easier, especially when it comes to ... Dare I say it... FLATS !! :o

Bought some padded shorts and luckily only decked it once onto my arse, which was on the left bottom cheek rather than the tailbone, glad about the shorts though as they give general protection and comfort when sitting down to strap up, rest, drink, etc.

Got linked turns dialled which I was really happy about. ******ised but it was working for me so I was chuffed.

Came back to the dry ski slope in England and I could not turn at all, so we've transferred over to the Chill Factore, going again this evening. There is a deal on currently, two hour lift pass for £22 which is quite reasonable.

Experimenting with switch and 180's last week, I will be doing the same tonight :-) probably a long way ahead of myself but it will take a nasty off to stop/slow me :bandit:

Any top tips on jumping/spins? I am not going off of 'kickers' or actual jumps yet, just using the half moguls that begin to form at the end of the day on slopes (we go to the chill factor at 20:00-2200 so there is plenty of chopped up snow!).

JRJG

lol

you'll have to get a split board

Haha! :giggle:

I knew it was where snowboarders came into problems, but I did not know how much effort and hassle was involved to overcome it.

I suppose it mainly depends on the resort you choose. I won't be going back to Kitzbuhel to snowboard though, there are flats on most resorts and that is just something you have to deal with. When I go on a dedicated boarding holiday I'll take a marker pen and highlight runs that are flat or have long flats on them so that they can be avoided the following days.

All part of the fun, great for fitness too. That is one way of looking at it.

At least boarding boots are a nicer place to put your feet in for a day than ski boots :P

JRJG

Any top tips on jumping/spins? I am not going off of 'kickers' or actual jumps yet, just using the half moguls that begin to form at the end of the day on slopes (we go to the chill factor at 20:00-2200 so there is plenty of chopped up snow!).

I haven't been for a few months now due to work and spending far too much money on the car. Will hopefully be back there more often though - used to go at least once a week.

The problem with the indoor places is that you're at the bottom before you know what's going on. Best bet I'd say is to traverse diagonally to the left and right make the best use of the slope. Along the way start popping some ollies as you're going across. Then move onto doing 180's onto your other lead. Try at least one 180 for a single traverse across. You'll be doing loads before you know what's going on! By doing this you'll get lots of practice and you'll be doing a fair bit of switch riding with it too.

Move onto the small jumps after that...

Snowboarding boots are awesome! :)

Boarding boots are so much more comfortable than ski boots - at least you can walk in a reasonably normal way with them on.

One thing to watch for if looking at doing switch is your bindings - make sure they are fairly neutral angles as if you have them set too far to favour a particular direction then switch can be difficult

Thanks for the tips you two.

Had a good progressive night again. Got plenty of practice which is what it is all about. I ride goofy and I felt more comfortable doing a 'backside' 180 than frontside, it seemed to come more naturally. Couple of bails from bad landings but that is expected. Not sure I can twist at speed though yet, that will all come with time I suppose. Also feel as though I've picked switch riding up quite well, not 100% confident with it, but happy to land and do a few turns in switch.

The boards at the chill factor are neutral in that they have no regular or goofy bias. Makes things easier for them I suppose. It works fine for me too :)

JRJG

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know about the weekly unlimited pass at the Chill Factor at Manchester?

Online I can only book it from Saturday to Friday? Surely it is a rolling week from whenever you start it ?

Thought I'd ask here to begin with as the helpline is one of those "calls from a mobile could cost considerably more"!

JRJG

Mmmmmm love both skiing and boarding. Been skiing since a child and taught myself to snowboard. Havent been for a few years now but have done both in Italy, Austria, France and the US. To be honest I prefer the States - bigger slopes, better quality lifts, wider variety of runs, vastly reduced lift waiting times.

Would love to go again but not going to happen for a few years now I am a poor student :( have thoroughly enjoyed looking at the videos in this thread though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe it's still got snow, considering the temps we had last week. Mind you it must have been chucking it down with snow last night / this morning wife snow in the Keith area, spotted loads of cars heading into elgin this morning covered in the White stuff.

Anyone looking at skiing / snowboarding holidays for next season at all?

Currently eyeing up either St Anton in Austria or somewhere in Italy for a week in January probably, I usually go around Christmas and the New Year to France and then again in March with a group of friends, usually to Austria.
Any recommendations, trying to keep the trip as reasonably cheap as possible. Where should I look for 'buy one lift pass get one half price' or similar offers? Are those kind of offers only available to larger groups? We had one along those lines in February but there was ten of us.

JRJG