Good Yeti alternative from VW?

kibby

Could you put up the links for these reviews please - thanks. :)

Blimey, that would challenge my computing skills - and patience!  

Can I suggest that you just Google "VW Golf SV reviews" and read on.  There is quite a lot of material out there already, including a good (if slightly corny) German video report (in English).

Edited by Little-Brit

Blimey, that would challenge my computing skills - and patience!  

Can I suggest that you just Google "VW Golf SV reviews" and read on.  There is quite a lot of material out there already, including a good (if slightly corny) German video report (in English).

I've read all the reviews but I'm after sight of the ones you mention ie the ones where they prefer the 125ps unit to the 150. These dont seem to appear via searches and im Interested to read the reasons. Thanks.

Well this is what someone came up with on Photoshop if VW was to make an Alltrack version of the SV:

Volkswagen%2BGolf%2BSportsvan%2BAlltrack

Looks pretty good and makes a very ugly duckling at least semi passable.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/volkswagen-golf-sportsvan-alltrack.html

• Like 1

Well this is what someone came up with on Photoshop if VW was to make an Alltrack version of the SV:

Volkswagen%2BGolf%2BSportsvan%2BAlltrack

Looks pretty good and makes a very ugly duckling at least semi passable.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/volkswagen-golf-sportsvan-alltrack.html

Tbh I think that would be the ultimate combination for me - SV ride height (plus 20mm at a guess) so the benefit of the high seating position, awd via haldex and spacious interior (more so than the estate and hatch offer, particularly in the rear). Nice, lets hope it gets made as currently the Golf Alltrack would be my favourite option. :)

I've read all the reviews but I'm after sight of the ones you mention ie the ones where they prefer the 125ps unit to the 150. These dont seem to appear via searches and im Interested to read the reasons. Thanks.

Try these to start with.  All make positive comments regarding the 125 bhp spec 1.4 engine (not 123 bhp as mentioned in at least one):

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf-sv

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/volkswagen/golf/sv/

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2014/05/cars/volkswagen/golf-sv/volkswagen-golf-sv-first-drive

And this one says good things about the lower power 1.4 engine whilst noting that the GT suspension is not the best option;

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/sv

All influenced my choice/reenforced my own bias depending on your point of view!

• 2 months later...

Hi Kibby,

I've largely dropped out of Briskoda now so have only just come across your thread...

Three and a bit years ago I wanted to change my Octavia L&K for a smaller car and was choosing between a Yeti and a Volks Golf Plus. In the end, the deciding factor was the larger boot on the Golf Plus and the better choice of engines and gearboxes. I went for a 1.6TDI with the DSG gearbox - the first auto car I've driven for any length of time since my parent's Morris Marina! I've been delighted with it over the past three years and have found it a vastly under-rated car. It sold well in Europe and was generally seen as a sensible option for a family who'd outgrown a the normal Golf. Unfortunately the great British public didn't appreciate its virtues and just slagged it off. As a retired couple the sliding seats were ideal for us as we could either have the legroom in the back for our family or a huge boot when it was just us going on holiday (with all the luggage hidden from sight).  

Now our Golf Plus is paid for, and we're shopping for a new car again. My shortlist was for the new Golf SV or a BMW 218 Active Tourer. But the latter suffered from losing its lower boot space as soon as you fit a spare wheel to it, and not having any drawers under the front seats. However its cheaper price did let me negotiate a 9% discount on a new Golf SV!! I placed the order last Friday for a Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG with some enticing options like the Bi-Xenons with adaptive lighting, the panoramic sunroof, climate control etc and am looking for delivery around March next year.  

I've had no problems whatsoever with the DSG and love it, but as I intend to keep this car longer I've also opted for a 5 year warranty instead of metallic paint. From what I've seen of Skodas since I sold my Octavia, it seems to me that VAG are putting Skoda back in the budget drawer by restricting the availability of engine/gearbox combinations and also in the quality of the trim. Perhaps they were stealing too many sales from VW?

Chris

• Like 1

Having just put a Yeti on the drive, for SWMBO, I am puzzled by this contention that the boot has to be shallow because it needs to allow for the 4X4 version. if this is the case, why does my 4x4 Octy not have a restricted boot?

...Helping me swing to the 1.4 SE spec is the fact that most of the journalists have raved about the 125 engine in preference to the 150 version.  ...

I think you must have dreamt that bit ;-) or possibly confused the new 1.4 150 with the old and somewhat discredited 1.4 twincharger?

The 1.4 150 with cylinder deactivation seems a peach. Better economy and performance (but maybe not at the same instant!). Would be nice in a Yeti too (or is that Yeti 2?).

• Like 1

Having just put a Yeti on the drive, for SWMBO, I am puzzled by this contention that the boot has to be shallow because it needs to allow for the 4X4 version. if this is the case, why does my 4x4 Octy not have a restricted boot?

There is no difference between the floor pans, so I'm not sure where this idea has come from.

Here is a link to the first owner's review I've found - seems he likes the adaptive cruise control as well!

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/owners-reviews/volkswagen/golf/sv-2014/review/20141023100833/

If The SV had been available at this time last year when I ordered my Yeti I might have been tempted - my only reservation still, is the automatic handbrake. Kibby, how have you found adapting to it?

Do you have a spare tyre? If you do, it comes with a kit to raise the level of boot floor, in order to accommodate the spare tyre

Hi all,

Just to say we are delighted with the Golf SV. No problems and electronic handbrake works well and soon forgot about as it's use comes so natural..

We see it as bigger, roomier than the Yeti with bigger usable boot even with the standard spare wheel fitted.

1.4 Tsi engine about 10% more economical than the 1.2Tsi  Yeti engine. (39mpg Yeti, 44mpg Golf SV same driving conditions).

Way more comfortable,refined, better quality,more upmarket and advanced than a Yeti SE (ours is a Golf SV SE).

Adaptive Cruise Control is brilliant. (Std on SE)

DSG and 1.4 engine a major advance on our problematic Yeti DSG box/noisy timing chain, never resolved to our satisfaction.

"See how it goes" being the advice.

Maybe just our locality but VW dealer very good so far, compared with Skoda with a bit of an attitude/unhelpful nature...but early days I suppose.

Ended up with good deal, good trade in (10% off retail with a significant amount of goodies thrown in). Skoda dealer would not remotely match that by a long long way with a lower trade in.

Would I go back to a Yeti...NO unless the Yeti 2 moves on an awful lot from the F/L.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 2

Preston334...it doesn't have a raised floor kit, it's simply is a 1 hand job to flip the adjustable floor between

the upper and lower position and even the 'between space' is fully usable without any silly funny shaped

polystyrene boxes.

I think the fact that the tyre is a fair bit narrower than the 90% size tyre (not that skinny in fact) that is

fitted in the Yeti helps a lot with usable boot space.

In essence a very simple and effective arrangement.

Legroom is also a major improvement on the Yeti and the Jumbo box between the front seats doesn't

compromise the rear legroom for the centre rear seat like in the Yeti.

0-60 is also a good 2.5 seconds quicker than the 1.2 Tsi, so the larger car is not a slouch in performance

terms.

Edited by kibby

Preston334...it doesn't have a raised floor kit, it's simply is a 1 hand job to flip the adjustable floor between

the upper and lower position and even the 'between space' is fully usable without any silly funny shaped

polystyrene boxes.

I think the fact that the tyre is a fair bit narrower than the 90% size tyre (not that skinny in fact) that is

fitted in the Yeti helps a lot with usable boot space.

In essence a very simple and effective arrangement.

Legroom is also a major improvement on the Yeti and the Jumbo box between the front seats doesn't

compromise the rear legroom for the centre rear seat like in the Yeti.

0-60 is also a good 2.5 seconds quicker than the 1.2 Tsi, so the larger car is not a slouch in performance

terms.

Sorry bit confused here, still half asleep and not had my morning coffee yet. Are you referring to the boot space in the golf SV? I was responding to obadiah post regarding his query on why the yeti boot was shallow

Thanks for keeping us updated re. your experiences, Kibby.  Pleased you're enjoying it.  When we went to have a quick look I was somewhat struck by the drivers lower seating position.  Maybe you might not have had the Yeti right up as high as it went?  In which case you won't be troubled by the height of the SV...but I do have the Yeti seat up as high as poss. as it helps with a comfortable entry and exit with my dodgy bits and pieces.  The slight downside of sitting so high is having to duck my head down to see under the interior mirror when looking left at junctions etc.  But now I'm rambling.  What are your thoughts?

Yes referring to the Golf SV boot space which is a lot better in size and usability.

With regard to seating position we both have 'back issues' and I am 6' and wife 5'6" so the seat gets

adjusted to a low and fairly high position depending who drives. We both find it as good if not better than the Yeti as far as adjustability is concerned. What makes the seats more comfortable (for us) is that they are somewhat larger proportioned overall and come with lumber adjustment as standard.

Apart from no 4x4 option/lower ground clearance which we don't need we definately find the overall SV package better than the Yeti and as we got a lot better deal than on a new Yeti the cost difference was small if at all.

Running costs are lower Road Tax,  Petrol and premium tyres (205/55/16) work out around £75-80 each

against £140-£150 for the Yeti. Insurance costs work out around the same.

A major benefit is the technology is the latest and not as the Yeti more out of the old parts bin.

Not sure why it should be but the DSG in the SV is a lot smoother and lacking the grunts and

"I'm in the wrong gear until I sort myself out" feeling about it. That could just be our car but was worrying

as Dealer and Skoda not helpful in putting it to bed unless we threw a lot of money at it first to look see.

In the end glad to get rid as had feeling it was soon going to cost big bucks engine (timing chain) and DSG wise.

5yr warranty is the one to go for with DSG and potential engine niggles in my humble opinion.

Just watch out you don't get sold the approved version instead of the much more comprehensive official VW one.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 1

Yes referring to the Golf SV boot space which is a lot better in size and usability.

With regard to seating position we both have 'back issues' and I am 6' and wife 5'6" so the seat gets

adjusted to a low and fairly high position depending who drives. We both find it as good if not better than the Yeti as far as adjustability is concerned. What makes the seats more comfortable (for us) is that they are somewhat larger proportioned overall and come with lumber adjustment as standard.

Apart from no 4x4 option/lower ground clearance which we don't need we definately find the overall SV package better than the Yeti and as we got a lot better deal than on a new Yeti the cost difference was small if at all.

Running costs are lower Road Tax,  Petrol and premium tyres (205/55/16) work out around £75-80 each

against £140-£150 for the Yeti. Insurance costs work out around the same.

A major benefit is the technology is the latest and not as the Yeti more out of the old parts bin.

Not sure why it should be but the DSG in the SV is a lot smoother and lacking the grunts and

"I'm in the wrong gear until I sort myself out" feeling about it. That could just be our car but was worrying

as Dealer and Skoda not helpful in putting it to bed unless we threw a lot of money at it first to look see.

In the end glad to get rid as had feeling it was soon going to cost big bucks engine (timing chain) and DSG wise.

5yr warranty is the one to go for with DSG and potential engine niggles in my humble opinion.

Just watch out you don't get sold the approved version instead of the much more comprehensive official VW one.

Only benefit on 'approved' one was it picked up the cost of any (non wear related I think??) MOT work at year 5

(but not year 4), probably to make it appear better than the official one.

Edited by kibby

I've been following this topic with slight interest (my Yeti is only 6 months old!). I thought I'd try the configurator and spec one closest to my current Yeti 2l DSG SE. Either I've made a mistake or there is something wrong with the configurator. I couldn't get exactly what I wanted but the final price turned out at £27,250!!!

That's without 4X4 and towbar kit which I currently have. I don't think so. :x

Fred

I've been following this topic with slight interest (my Yeti is only 6 months old!). I thought I'd try the configurator and spec one closest to my current Yeti 2l DSG SE. Either I've made a mistake or there is something wrong with the configurator. I couldn't get exactly what I wanted but the final price turned out at £27,250!!!

That's without 4X4 and towbar kit which I currently have. I don't think so. :x

Fred

So with the current discounts in excess of £4,000 via the brokers/dealers bringing that figure down to less than £23,250, makes it a bit of a bargain IMO. It's a great quality vehicle IMO with a nicer flexible interior utilising the latest generation of vag tech, better build with far better refinement and cheaper running costs IMO. :)

Our figures worked when you throw in 10% discount and an extra £1k on Part Exchange and no cost service plan, mudguards, mats, bootliner etc and a non competitive Skoda dealer....Maybe could have done better Skoda wise by searching farther afield but Skoda Dealer attitude helped us make the decision. All in all around £2500 off list prices if I recall excluding the better P/E . VW dealer very willing to do a deal for whatever reason.

Without any add on's the basic price for SV SE being £22995 (car + on the road costs)..

Edited by kibby

Sorry bit confused here, still half asleep and not had my morning coffee yet. Are you referring to the boot space in the golf SV? I was responding to obadiah post regarding his query on why the yeti boot was shallow

Sorry, the point that I was trying to make is that the Octy 4x4 has the same floor level as the 2wd version. So, presumanbly, the Haldex doesn't take up too much space. So, why does the floor in the Yeti have to be higher, in case it had Haldex?

Sorry, the point that I was trying to make is that the Octy 4x4 has the same floor level as the 2wd version. So, presumanbly, the Haldex doesn't take up too much space. So, why does the floor in the Yeti have to be higher, in case it had Haldex?

I don't get what you are asking.

The floor pan of the Yeti is the same in the 2 or 4 wheel drive versions.

The boot floor is higher than that of the Octavia because they are not the same car and not designed to do the same thing.

Octavia - saloon based estate car

Yeti - Off-road based SUV.