To DSG or not to DSG

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at my options for my next company car (not due until April next year but I've seen some horror stories on here about wait times!) and I've come up with what is probably a strange choice but one I thought I'd put out there for comments/suggestions...I'm looking at ordering a vRS combi diesel but the way the lease price is working (well the lease price and the BIK rules in Ireland) I can have either the vRS with DSG and standard interior or the vRS in Manual with the Leather Interior...I've arranged a test drive in a (non-vRS) DSG for next week just to try it out so maybe that will make my decision for me....Any advice/comments/suggestions?

Cheers all!

To me it completely depends on your driving style, preferences and what you use the car for.

Personally for a daily hack I think DSG is good.

But I prefer a manual, especially if that gets me better seats.

To me it completely depends on your driving style, preferences and what you use the car for.

Personally for a daily hack I think DSG is good.

But I prefer a manual, especially if that gets me better seats.

TBH it will be my 'everything car'...Daily hack, my transport for me plus bike to various events around the country, familymobile, and a good source of entertainment when on my own in the car with the traction control off and a winding road in front of me ;)

TBH it will be my 'everything car'...Daily hack, my transport for me plus bike to various events around the country, familymobile, and a good source of entertainment when on my own in the car with the traction control off and a winding road in front of me ;)

Depends if you find the DSG has enough involvement for "fun times" then.  Or how much you like leather. :D

Once you gone DSG... there's no going back!

We randomly decided to try a DSG car... then put a deposit down the next day!

I would never go back through choice to a manual.

But as above it's entirely down to personal preference.

See if you can get a nice long test drive in a manual and a DSG car with same engine etc and compare which you prefer.

And in terms of enjoyment in a DSG car it's got a great point and squirt kind of feel to it.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

DSG is well suited to the petrol engine.

On a diesel the emissions are higher so +2% more BIK and mpg is lower.

Only way you will know is to try both DSG and manual.

As for "once you try DSG you'll never go back".... I'll never have another DSG diesel again unless the gearboxes get significantly better.

• Like 1

DSG is well suited to the petrol engine.

On a diesel the emissions are higher so +2% more BIK and mpg is lower.

Is that due to most of the petrol engines getting the 7 speed dry clutch DSG?

The diesels get the 6 speed wet clutch version.

Phil

Phil-E, I think 1.6 diesel gets 7-speed, while my 1.8 petrol has 6-DSG

So don't separate them by fuel type :)

Yeah I'm thinking of the MK2 Octavia and the Superb that gets the 7 speed with the 1.8.

The 1.4 petrol has a 7 speed.

Phil

Thanks for all the replies...I s'pose what it comes down to is if the DSG is more/less enjoyable to drive?...My last car before my current (hated) Kia was a Mk II Octy VRS Manual (didn't come with DSG on that model in '08 so now issue then) and I absolutely loved it...The test drive I've arranged for next week is an overnight one so I'll have it a while and get to test it over a long commute both ways..

It also has slightly worse fuel consumption and higher emissions. Not sure if the tax is higher... it is on my 2008 1.9 DSG.

But we're prepared to take the hit and we're still getting better average MPG than any of our previous cars.

Phil

I have had both and dsg is not for me.........

changing down by itself when going down hill.....no control in bad weather even  when put in manual mode ....

give me a gearbox any day .........................love my 6 speed manual

I like Marmite, DSG, Lambrusco, Breitling watches.......others don't so it's not a lot of use asking them for their opinion

Make your own mind up and hopefully you'll be happy with your choice.

Regards all

Juan

• Like 1

I like Marmite, DSG, Lambrusco, Breitling watches.......others don't so it's not a lot of use asking them for their opinion

Make your own mind up and hopefully you'll be happy with your choice.

Regards all

Juan

You hit the nail on the head there!

Phil

• Like 1

First dsg I've had apart from holidays in USA. Got tsi Vrs dsg estate, and love the laid back feel. But you do have an instant sport mode if not in sport, one notch towards the handbrake, which is wonderful for that instant decision moment. Also paddles along with the manual up. Down control when stick moved to left. Wouldn't go back to manual.

DSG is very clever but has its limitations.  To me it is a compromise between the economy of a manual and the usability of what VAG called 'tiptronic'.

Frankly I'd rather have one or the other, than the compromise.  For me, given the choice here, it would be the manual with the leather.

Maybe it's possible to drive a DSG 'manually' and enjoy it it, but I find it unrewarding and distracting  - I suppose the distraction would diminish if I persisted with it, to the point where it becomes more instinctive.  

As an auto, it works, but not as nicely as a proper one where I could use the 'creep' without seeing the clutch wearing away in my mind's eye, or it declutching whenever I touch the brake (this is on the DQ200 7 speed dry clutch version).

The other thing that bugs me slightly is the all or nothing choice between D, in which it potters around at well under 2000 rpm, and S, which is a bit too aggressive when you just want a bit more control, rather than performance - I believe some remappers offer a slightly easier-going S mode when using moderate throttle.

We have a DSG car because my wife likes autos (as do I - proper ones anyway).  Annoyingly she told me after I bought it that a manual would have been OK!

Ive had two DSG cars, 6 and 7 speed....went back to a manual this time and do prefer it.

DSG is very good, particularly considering it is after all just a robotised dual clutch manual gearbox but its a bit compromised as a result of being neither a true manual or auto gearbox.

I doubt id buy another dual clutch car TBH; would have to be manual or a true torque converter auto...the latter are so good now (thinking ZF 8 speed particularly) that they do tend to render the likes of DSG boxes redundant.

• Like 1

My last car was a Passat CC DSG, I now have a manual Superb. Given the choice I'd have DSG again as it just does it all for you and makes driving so easy. I do miss it but my wife has a DSG Golf which is also great that I can 'borrow'.

My Superb has leather which is great in the cold winter months when you can turn on the heated seats, but it doesn't breath in the hotter summer months so you can end up sticky - unless you have the climate seats as in the Superb L&K.

My choice would be DSG but with heated cloth seats if they are available.

The only way to tell is to drive both manual and DSG to see which suits you.

I spend most of my time in traffic, so DSG is a must. Not sure it would be worth it if it spent all day cruising motorways. What kind of driving do you do?

Spend most of my time commuting on motorways so it will be interesting to see on the test drive whether it makes any difference to me

Hi going from auto A4 to manual vrs I did enjoy the easy drive of the auto but felt no enjoymen. Became boring and a bit of chore. I would still go for dsg if you do 60% town driving.

My situation probably differs to others due to the fact my partner has a serious hip problem and can only drive Autos, as there is a degree of car swapping depending on what we're up to, it was a given I would have to buy a DSG.

It's not all bad news, you get flappy paddles and you can drive it almost like a manual too so something for everyone.

My last three cars have been Auto Transmission and I really wouldn't consider a Manual now, it's too effortless.

Aren't automatics awful in snow and ice?

No. If anything it's better as you're always in gear (read under control) and there's no worry of getting the clutch control right to prevent wheel spin or stalling.

Phil