Questions on exhausts

Hi guys, this is going to sound like I want to be a racing driver I took my monte to have a new back box and a tip about a month ago it sounds really nice, taking it back for a different back box however so it's a bit louder, I am desperate for the car to pop and spit however, how would I do this and keep it MOT and road legal? Any suggestions would be great! Cheers guys :)

It's your car mate do what you want! I don't know what the exhaust system is like on your car but getting rid of a silencer will make it a lot louder, you won't get proper bangs without a de-cat which is not technically illegal afaik but will not pass an mot!

I'm afraid you're going to have to sell the Monte and buy a group B rally car.

Just for personal curiosity why do you want your car to do that?

It's all very well having a Mitsubishi evo that spits flames, but a Fabia Monte?

I've heard of kits you can buy which mounts a spark plug in the exhaust so you can detonate it and create a flame, but I doubt the Monte will run rich enough to have a combustible mixture back there.

IMO it'll prob cost a lot to achieve (legally) and probably won't be worth it once you've informed your insurer of the mods. May I presume you're on the younger side?

Edited by MattGreen

It's your car mate do what you want! I don't know what the exhaust system is like on your car but getting rid of a silencer will make it a lot louder, you won't get proper bangs without a de-cat which is not technically illegal afaik but will not pass an mot!

Unless you get a fake cat fitted which is still frowned upon!

I'm afraid you're going to have to sell the Monte and buy a group B rally car.

Just for personal curiosity why do you want your car to do that?

It's all very well having a Mitsubishi evo that spits flames, but a Fabia Monte?

I've heard of kits you can buy which mounts a spark plug in the exhaust so you can detonate it and create a flame, but I doubt the Monte will run rich enough to have a combustible mixture back there.

IMO it'll prob cost a lot to achieve (legally) and probably won't be worth it once you've informed your insurer of the mods. May I presume you're on the younger side?

You'd probably have to get fuel pumped into exhaust for that! Get a Focus ST they pop and bang well!

Remove resonator and you will get some pops and bangs

Certainly does with the 1.4 TSI! Not heard a 1.2 so can't comment, I'm sure the same principles apply. You won't get the fart noises on up shifts from the DSG.

When cold the first up shift makes a cracking pop and bang sound. It's no NGTC spec Touring car but I like it.

Me hen you say 'pop and spit' do you mean the odd little exhaust pop on the overrun or full on flames out of the back?

You can get the cherry bomb kits. Nip down to your local car meet and youll see all the corsa's doing it.

I'm not a fan myself but im sure it can be done.

The focus st's do pop well dont they! I do like the sound of them!

• Like 1